RIP Tony Curtis

Discussion in 'Movie Stars' started by samson, Sep 30, 2010.

1. samson

samson Hepcat

Tony has passed away, the BBC story here.

He was in ALOT of things, including being an influence on how Elvis wanted to look. He played a pre-historic version of himself on the Flintstones as Stoney Curtis, and of course CoStarred with Marilyn. I particuarly liked him in Operation Petticoat, playing a snooty supply chief aboard a wartime sub.

2. samson

samson Hepcat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frBSpmv-rkY&translated=1"]YouTube - What's my Line? Tony Curtis

3. djomalley

djomalley Fanch King

wow. It's always sad to lose a legend.

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

He will be missed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FYGmMzwJRA"]YouTube - Hilarious Pepsi Advertisement (Spartacus Version)

Hotwater

5. psychedelic goddess

psychedelic goddess ♥Messenger of Love♥

What a great actor and good lookin' man.....hell, even Elvis dyed his hair to look like Tony Curtis!

We'll miss ya, Stoney! :sad:

http://www.************/profile/pic.php?oid=AAAAAwAgACAAAAAPbSRnLTOeCCfug5wKFB9sbMsFO6fgG6R9KSIEh2Bmrsdo_SIFxc5GscTzMJh9KC8BbKzJmmpW2j4z6kER1VXcm5a1rIK8E8pHzGhfbHZXKYalkX3Q6DQlxCKke94F3G1H&size=normal

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

awe...

7. psychedelic goddess

psychedelic goddess ♥Messenger of Love♥

arrgh, i didn't see this thread and started one myself - i hate when i'm an instigator of thread redundancy!!!

must have been the tears clouding my eyes - here's to you, Tony! :cheers2:

(Easy Enuf to Merge at this Point)
    Shale

8. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Rip

9. RonPrice

RonPrice Member

I’m not sure when or where Tony Curtis(1925-2010) first came into my life. Was it at the movies or on television? Perhaps it was in Houdini in 1953 when he was married to Janet Leigh. I was only nine at the time and in grade four. My mother had just joined the Baha’i Faith in Ontario. I was in love with baseball and Susan Gregory—little did she know. Perhaps I first saw him in Some Like It Hot in 1959.

I had a job at the Roxy Theatre at the time as a marquee, the man who set the signboards up for the shows that arrived in town. I won the most valuable player in the midget baseball league that year in the little town of Burlington. As Bobby Darren’s song Mack-the-Knife was making its way to the top of the charts in October ‘59 I joined the Baha’i Faith. I was always impressed with my mother back then, but that would not always be the case.

Tony became famous and rich but, on reading about his life today, I realized he paid for his fame and wealth with his many marriages, his alcoholism, his addictions, the suicide of his son, indeed, a long list of tests and difficulties. I’ve had my problems, too; it is difficult to compare lives but, in some ways, it can’t be helped. Tony died this week and I learned more about him today than I knew in all his years of great popularity in the 1950s and 1960s when I was growing-up and coming to maturity at the age of 20 and 21 in 1964/5 when he starred in Sex and the Single Girl(1964) and The Great Race(1965).-Ron Price with thanks to Wikipedia, 2 September 2010.

I can understand why you got into art, Tony,
    in the last 25 years of your life..age 60-85…
    You were a handsome, dude, and kissed that
    icon of beauty, Marilyn Monroe….Yes, you
    got around, Tony, I must say…We did have
    things in common: COPD1, our mothers had
    mental illness; we went to college & we went
    under contract at age 23 you with Universal
    Pictures and me with DIAND2…..interested
    in girls and money….worried about being a
    failure. But so many differences, eh Tony?

You made your debut in 1949 when I was 5.
    To my two marriages you had five and those
    younger women you married who gave you
    so much more sex or so you said, Tony…. I
    wish you well in that Undiscovered Country,
    Tony, that Land of Lights or so I am told!!!
    What is life like now beyond the mortal coil?

1 Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease usually from smoking
    2 Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development

Ron Price
    2 October 2010