richie havens

Discussion in 'Music' started by Fractual_, May 27, 2004.

1. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

is the shit!

his woodstock performance was awesome, from what i saw.

some of my favorites are freedom, and fire and rain.

2. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

yeah he is pretty amazing!

3. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about his music, but I love his song "High Flyin' Bird." "Freedom" is a great song too.

4. sassure

sassure Member

Havens has plenty of even better stuff, but it's not easy to find.....all you see now are his "greatest hits" CDs. There's one song, "Sugarplums", which evokes "late 60s love" better than any other song. The lyrics are a bit dated, true, but the music always gives me goose bumps......

5. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

I like any of his stuff when it involves a heavily strum guitar, a second guitar playing complex bass or lead guitar lines, and congas (which was pretty much his performance at Woodstock).

And beachbum, Is that Ani DiFranco in your sig?:confused:

6. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

Yes, that's Ani DiFranco in my sig.

Actually, the only reason why I've head the song "High Flyin' Bird" is because it's on the new deluxe edition of the Easy Rider soundtrack. But I love that song :)

7. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

wow i didnt think anyone would respond to this thread... didnt think he was too popular.

if you havent heard him, or havent heard much, i suggest fire and rain, its awesome.

8. nightfairy

nightfairy Member

I adore Richie, but you really, REALLY have to see him live! He is awe-inspiring, thats the only way to explain it. He's got this INCREDIBLE energy. I've seen him 4 times. You look around and its on every single face in the audience, its like everyone's just going WOW. When he speaks, everything else hushes. And he's got this wonderful deep rich, earthy voice. But the best part about him is that even tho he's got this whole intense-spiritual-energy persona, he's really really funny! He's got this great sense of humor, and he loves to tell stories.

He tours constantly, per his website, he's been on the road since 1967.
    Check out his website: http://www.richiehavens.com/ See if he's coming anywhere near you, and if so, check it out. You dont have to be a folkie to like his show. It's something really special.

9. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

Richie Havens is a great practicioner of his own rhythm method. He brought a great latin/african style to folk music, and I think that's why he is respected today...
    [​IMG]

He's a person who really digs (in the best sense of the word) music. He is also a very spiritual person, as I have read about his last album. He did a cover of Pink Floyd's "On The Turning Away", as an Indian meditation raga of sorts. I would love to see him perform someday, because I hear that he still does. ;)

10. Bohemian_Child

Bohemian_Child Member

saw richie last summer, amazing show. it was a small crowd, intimite setting... as i said, amazing show.

11. jamestowne

jamestowne Member

Holy shit! Richie Havens is the man. I didn't know he performed until a friend of mine took me to see him last year. He does the BEST cover of The Turning Away; truly magical!!!! Definately see him live, he has a huge spirit that just fills a room.

12. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

richie havens man need to get more of his albums

13. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

Richie Havens is great. Favourites: 'Freedom', 'Handsome Johnny' and 'The klan'.