Revolution For The Hell Of It

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by millownotme, Apr 27, 2006.

1. millownotme

millownotme Member

I started reading this last week. woah. Abbie Hoffman's words are making my brain crackle and pop with activity! Totally making me think about protest and activeness.

what do you think about it?

2. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

I've never heard of this book, but it sounds interesting.

3. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Abbie Hoffman has written tons of great books. We definitely need a spirit like him around these days. He was charismatic, creative, daring, and extremely smart...something we don't find in our society much anymore.

4. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

I think Abbie Hoffman's works should be required reading in high school. Seeing young people getting turned on by his stuff gives me hope for the future.

5. Optical Sound

Optical Sound Member

yeah I just finished steal this book and I'm reading revolution for the hell of it now.

6. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Will never happen. Abbie Hoffman didn't particularly like the government. In schools we are taught that our American government is the best government out there...for a reason...

Schools brainwash us into being patriotic. Abbie Hoffman WAS patriotic, in my eyes...but in the government's eyes...not so much.

7. joo kyle

joo kyle thisandthat

and considering in revolution for the hell of it it says "drop out of school". Love the book.

8. karma lennon

karma lennon Member

i also have revolution for the hell of it as well as steal this book. both amazing books that are highly reccommended =)

9. brownxfoot

brownxfoot Member

I read steal this book and was really shocked at all of the stuff in there about the gorilla warfare and what not. I talked to my teacher who quietly is trying to inspire a revolution. she siad alot of the stuff about that was really just messing with the man.
    or was he serious about bashing so skulls

10. Positive Vibrations

Positive Vibrations Member

Revolution for the hell of it is in my top five favorite books ever. There is so much information in that book that can and should be used in modern protesting. I believe that street theater is very effective. I have a recommendation for you all. It is John Sinclairs book "guitar army". It is written in a similar style as Abbie Hoffman and is very informative. I had the pleasure of meeting both John Sinclair and Pun Plamondon at a showing of his movie "20 to life" in Traverse City, Michigan.

11. cosmic jackie

cosmic jackie Member

Abbie Hoffman is one of my favorite people ever! :D
    i've read revolution for the hell of it and steal this book and i've read a biography on him written by his brother called 'run run run: the lives of abbie hoffman'
    i'm yet to read woodstock nation though i will soon enough :)

12. Jedite83

Jedite83 Van Dweller

I've been reading Steal This Book latley, Mainly because I have been getting back in the mood to edit Steal This Wiki again. Find the STB helps get the juices flowing.

13. Ishkah

Ishkah Members

This book and all of Abbie's other books are archived on Steal This Wiki bar one.

I know this is another long shot, but I'd love to see it photocopied up and uploaded to archive.org if anyone lived near one of the libraries that stores it:

14. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

Ive come to the conclusion he was asassinated. Did yall know him & amy carter were an item tho i dunno how exstensive that was.

15. Ishkah

Ishkah Members

I don't know about either of those things, the court case where they made their case against the CIA was very cool though.

I think the likely cold hard reality of people like Abbie and Phil Ochs committing suicide is more poignant. They were people who experienced the height of optimism of the 60s, and had to witness it come crashing down to a large extent. For some reasons out of their control, but also because many of their friends abandoned activism and lived in search of individual greed.