resumé

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by jmt, Dec 20, 2008.

1. jmt

jmt Ezekiel 25:17

can any one give me pointers?? i havent written one bcause last one i wrote was two yrs ago and i was wondering if sumone can share one with me as a guide line?:D

2. Bonsai Ent

Bonsai Ent Member

A Writer's Resumé. Or a standard Resumé ?

If you're writing a normal one, writers (lovely though I'm sure they all are) are probably not the right people to ask for assistance.

;)

3. jmt

im just trying to get a job at a supermarket washing dishes lol and i need a cover letter
    any want to give me tips?:eek:

4. TheKitch

TheKitch Member

Just google it. There are tips all over the web...

5. Bonsai Ent

Bonsai Ent Member

Make sure your spelling and punctuation is perfect, keep it short and sweet, don't go crazy with it, and keep the language formal and professional.

Cover letters for jobs like that are aways tricky, since people are skeptical from the outset if you open with "It has always been my dream to wash dishes in a supermarket"

So keep it realistic, but don't say you're only doing it for the money either, because employers don't seem to like it (I know from experience, I said this in an interview once).

Something like "I have a strong desire to remain in active and productive employment while I pursue my life goals"

Eric! likes this.
  6. jmt

in my interview at nordstrom they asked me why i want the job and i tolled them that i just want a better pay then target. adn i got the job, there facial expression where surprised when i tolled them that. but thank you for your line to use it very good and it is reason for me to be in that job scenario

7. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

At an employment interview recently the woman asked me, "Why do you want to work for us?" I told her that when looking at employment ads I select those which I am qualified for and do not have a poor labor relations record. I told her that I had no specific information about her firm's labor relations, but that I normally use positive thinking unless I have specific negative information.

Several questions later, she asked me what my greatest weakness is. I said that the point of my attending the interview is to advertise my capabilities, and that to advertise my weaknesses defeats my purpose. Therefore I declined to comment otherwise. That advertising my weaknesses defeats my purpose should be obvious, and I wonder why HR people ask such a question.

8. Bonsai Ent

Bonsai Ent Member

Because are person who knows their weaknesses is stronger.
    They want evidence that you know what your weaknesses are

Eric! likes this.
  9. jmt

damn i still havent written this cover letter!

i just dnt know how much to write or how to write it!

also on my resume what do i put for skills on this washing dishes?
    i feel that i can be fast and reliable. Im hardworking

10. jmt

what i got so far:

Dear To Whom It May Concern:
    I am responding to your advertisement on the job opening at Whole Food Supermarket regarding the dishwashing position. Please find my resume showing my education, experience, and background.

My reason for wanting this opening is because I have a strong desire to remain in active and productive employment while I pursue my life goals. I feel that with my initiative, work can be carried in an orderly matter at your workplace.
    May I arrange an interview to further discuss my qualifications? I am available for an interview at a mutually convenient time.
    Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

11. Rigamarole

Rigamarole Senior Member

You need a resumé and cover letter to wash dishes at a supermarket?

Damn, the economy really is bad right now.

12. jmt

yeah nigga thats what im saying

know what i mean?????

13. Bonsai Ent

Bonsai Ent Member

Some places want DNA samples too, but that's because ultimately they're panning a Clone Workforce

14. WoodsCall

WoodsCall Member

Don't use 'I think' or 'I feel.' The hiring manager most likely doesn't care what you think, he just wants you to perform. Sound assertive.

Don't ask questions. Questions are for interviews. Try combining your question with the following sentence.

Other than that, looks good. It seems ridiculous to need a resume for dishwashing, tho.

Good luck

15. jmt

LOL i know thanks 4 your in put

btw guys my friend got the job :mad:

im going to BK now

16. BigGirlGuy

BigGirlGuy Member

Next time, just write up what you have and someone here can re-write it for you.

Try to spend some of your spare time studying, how to write workplace documents (eg:cover letter) and resume writing. Very easy to do with some practice. Your job applications get better and better, in addition your confidence does too.:cheers2:

17. Seems like a good enough thread to rise from the ashes. I have noticed that the style of a resume has become an interesting variable. One that got a lot of attention was this one, from the CEO of Yahoo:
    [​IMG]

Is this really a working resume for general use? Or do the rest of us, further down on the food chain have to keep using the same old boring style we've used since the 60s?

18. Then there's this guy
    [​IMG]

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Neither. You don't have to follow this example, but there's some changes since the 60s that are wise to acknowledge and adapt to. It also depends on the actual job you're applying to. I used to have several styled resumes. If i apply to a callcenter job i highlight different details than for a delivery job. The more creativity plays a role the more use it has to show some in your resume

20. I wasn't about to personally choose between them, I'm sure recruiters all over the planet are getting clones of them right now. The last thing you'll see from me is trying to be "trendy". Particularly with potential employers. They want to know how long it will take for me to turn out a course on waste oil treatment and how much it will cost. Hard to turn that into something "whimsical".

I also keep multiple resume versions depending on what I'm going after. Lately I've been able to stay close to home making onboarding videos for light industrial companies who can't possibly afford professional videos. This usually leads to updating their procedures so videos can be made of their high turnover processes.

Overall though, I like a clever resume, to a degree. For the moment we're still making our resumes look like they do on paper, even the online versions. I think they'll begin to morph into interactive video content. Which might be viable. Sure makes me glad I got so much video from jobs all over the world. I use security cameras to get multiple angles of a particular task, like changing cartridge filters. Then turn them into video lessons, especially where mistakes are made. Once again, most of the clients are small timers with a limited budget, so an LMS isn't happening.

Instead, I use a client-specific YouTube channel with unlisted videos, and SurveyMonkey. They have to get a paid SM account to get all the features, but it can be made to emulate an LMS for the real cheap skates who don't mind adjusting the columns on the spreadsheets.

[​IMG]