Restaurant

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by Duncan, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Ever dream of opening a restaurant? What would be on your menu? Would it have a theme or would it be general?

2. .Hannah.

.Hannah. Member

It is a lot of work opening a restaurant. I don't think I ever would. To love a cuisine so much that I would turn it into a restaurant business would be killing that love for it! I would simply get sick of seeing, eating, smelling, breathing it day in and day out, become horribly jaded and ultimately, a slave to what I once used to enjoy.

I wouldn't be happy putting managers in charge and not overseeing the business or actively partaking in it either. Most restaurants run that way are impersonal, have rude or bad service and are incredibly cold.

Also too much of a food critic to ever be satisfied with "general".

Ah, predicaments. Great thread though.

3. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

I've often dreamt of owning a local coffee shop. Limited but changing menu, mostly homemade soups and sandwiches, and have a couple veggie options every day too. Also have some homemade desserts... muffins, pie, cheesecake, cookies. Would have lots of comfy couches, and several shelves of used books with a "take one, leave one" motto. Maybe a fish tank, with easy to care for fish... nothing too exotic.. maybe a bird or two.

It would be called "Pop's", but not as in "mom and pop", but as in "pop art". Big portrait of Andy Warhol behind the bar.. that kind of decor. Have a stage in one corner for people to sing if they want, all very low key. Maybe have organized "nites"... folk nite, poetry nite, amature nite... and maybe have some local talent in to actually play a gig on the weekends. At nights we would serve liquor, but only at night.

(I managed a restuarant for 5 years, and was the head bartender for 3 before that... so do have experiance in running, ordering and schedualling help)

4. dietcoketree

dietcoketree Member

well mine would be a Dieters Paradise. Everything would be healthy and low calorie. Everything would be wholesome and jsut plain old good for you. A lot of fruit dishes and stuff- but it would be like eating any other big enjoyable meal. every entire meal would be around like 300 calories, and wed have every diet soda imaginiable.

ahhh paradise lol

5. GHOSTCRAB

GHOSTCRAB Banned

One of my favorite things to do is sit around the table with family and friends,watching them enjoy great food,wine and conversation. It's what memories are made of.Sometimes the thought of cooking for 12,6, or even 2 can be a little daunting.

6. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Well, Not a restaurant. But, a bakery. my wife and I talked about it once.

I just LOVE to bake. Just never had the money to try it.

7. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Not a restuarant, but a little bakery/cafe. Yes, definitely would love to do that.

I'd offer the normal bakery items, muffins, cookies, cakes, decadent desserts, and also a wide variety of sandwiches, wraps, salads, those kinds of things. And lots of coffees, teas, and fruit smoothies.

I'm actually considering starting my own small business with my SIL, taking orders for things like cookies, personalized cakes and other desserts. Just start out really small, do what I can, and maybe someday I'll actually have my own little cafe, you never know.

My husband keeps telling me I need to get in good with the wife of a guy he works with, because she owns a very successful little bakery. He said I could eventually buy her out, but I gently reminded him that she has two daughters whom I'm sure will be taking over the business someday.

8. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

I often think about opening a cafe-type place. It would be a vegan/vegetarian place with as much organic produce as we could afford and with fair-trade coffee (and I wouldn't charge extra for soy/rice/alternative milk). Ooooh, and I'd have veggie-friendly beer and wine from local suppliers.

I'd like it to be big enough to eventually host a few bands - but also small enough that it felt welcoming.

And it would be somewhere sunny so I could have a courtyard out the back for weekend vegan brunches. (i make some mean vegan pancakes).

I would love love love to do this - don't think i'll ever have the start up capital though

9. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I was just thinking, how interesting would it be to have a Fear-Factor-themed restaurant? Like serve all those weird foods that's served on Fear Factor? Would you eat there? Would it be good or just way too bizarre?

10. JerryWobbles

JerryWobbles Member

I actually had to create all this kinda stuff for my culinary school, Id call it Grateful Cuisine, I have a lotta stuff on there, It'd be in an unusual place, Such as like a strip mall or something out of the ordinary so that you stick out. If you have outstanding food, Word of mouth gets out, People will travel. 80% of restaurants fail within a year. So , Thats whats up