Resin, cleaning a bowl

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by KarissaIsStoned, May 7, 2007.

1. KarissaIsStoned

KarissaIsStoned Member

I know these might be silly questions, but I was wondering what is the resin? Is it the black stuff that sticks to the sides of the bowl? And how do you clean the bowl? And what do you do with the resin? I know you're supposed to smoke it, but I guess I just don't understand. Also, how often do you clean a bowl? And if pot gets sucked into the inside, what is the best method of getting it out?
    I've had my bowl for over a month now and I haven't cleaned it yet because I don't know what I'm supposed to do, and I am too embarrassed to ask any of my stoner friends!
    Thanks!

2. 40oz and chronic

40oz and chronic 'Nuff Said

resin is the black stuff that collects inside your pipe after a while of use. a month isnt that long, but i'v done it before. i usually only scrape my piece when i want to get get stoned and have no bud. a month to 4 months doesn't really matter unless its getting clogged to where you cant hit it anymore(which is more common in bongs and bubbler's)

and to get it out find anything long and preferably bendy. like a paper clip.
    you can do it perfectly and scrape a line all the way from the mouth piece to the bowl, then back, then put whatever you scraped onto a piece of paper and start the next line. or you can be a lazy stoner like me and jam it in there, twist it around, poke, jab, shake violently and tap it all out from the mouth piece. either way is up to you.

3. jimaug87

jimaug87 Member

There should be no need to clean your bowl after a month of use unless your smoking non stop. I've had my bowl for 4months and have never cleaned a bowl before, so I am also looking for an answer.

I know you don't need to clean it yet tho.

4. BudToker

BudToker Senior Member

If your desperate for THC then there's a reason to clean it! lol Boil that shizzy. Let the resin break off into the boiled water. Get a really really fine mesh screen. Pour the resin/boiled water through the screen so the resin is collected. Let it dry for a bit. Then toke that shit! lol

5. CubanB

CubanB Member

Nothing like black gold when you have no green.

6. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

the resin is part of the smoke that condenses on the walls of your bong. the best stuff is the stuff that covers the walls of the bowl and the entrance of the stem. resin grows similarly to crystals - it needs to be seeded by a little fleck of ash getting stuck on the wall of the stem, and then catching little bits that hit it, and then the little bits form mounds that grow

its good to let it dry and then smoke it. preferably through a bong, maybe with a bit of tobacco to get it burning more

7. slinkie

slinkie Member

If you have a metal pipe: scrape the sides, top and bottom....and every link that you have to seperate from the rest of the pipe with a paperclip. Put resin balls on a piece of tin foil to keep in freezer till you are ready to hit it.

If you have a glass pipe, you can either: put it into a small plastic sandwich baggy full of rubbing alcohol and a dash of salt overnight and in the morning (or several hours later) run it under super hot water, but at a light water flow to release the resin from the glass. That, and to be able to keep the resin balls/chunks that will flow out of your piece from going down the drain.
    ~Or, you could just put the whole pipe into a small cooking pot, put it on the stove till all the res boils off of it. But be careful doing this method...if the pipe gets too hot it will break or crack. Plus the smell of weed will not be leaving your kitchen any time soon doing it this way. lol.
    Again, put resin balls/chunks onto a piece of tin foil, let them air dry overnight, then put into freezer till your ready to enhance your bud high...by putting chunk of resin on top of leafy green before you hit it.

If I don't clean out my pipe, I don't get a good hit. I usually have to clean my pipes out at least twice a month. Yes. I smoke a lot. hahaha

8. slinkie

slinkie Member

Oi! How could I forget THE most important tip of all:

After you clean your pipe out, coat the bowl with a touch of honey. That will keep small pieces of bud from going directly down the hole if you don't use a screen.
    If you smoke out of a glass pipe, please don't use a screen or just smoke out of a metal pipe. The metal screen makes the weed taste...funny.

Happy toking!

9. M4N14C42O

M4N14C42O Cannabis Connoisseur

I use the Isopropyl Rubbing alcohol and salt method. A bit different than slinkie tho......i pour a bit of salt into the bowl and then pour a bit of rubbing alcohol in the bowl. Cover all holes and shake like a mo-fo. Rinse with pretty hot water, repeat as needed........i can get a pretty resined up pipe (4-6mnths worth) clean in about 15-20min depending on how stubborn or awkward shaped the pipe is.

NOTE: If you want to save some of the resin i suggest scraping what you want out BEFORE pouring the salt and alcohol in.....THC is alcohol soluble so if your shaking alcohol around in your pipe, a good bit of the available THC is going to get washed down the drain with your salt/rubbing alchol mixture.

Personally, i think resin is awful tasting.....even when your smokin "kind" bud resin. Just never have liked it....so i usually just clear everything out and throw it away. Usually got some dank anyway so no need for resin ;)

- 42o -