Republicans are ruining American education

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Jun 12, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

As one who has used many board feet of lumber and ordered hundreds of board feet at a time, lots of it black willow, I know all about what kind of pieces you get.

Leaving a board to be happily able is not the same as leaving a student to be happily able, as many students would be perfectly happy to be able to go home and play video games all day.
    But that's not how education works.

2. mcme

mcme lurker

Letting them go play video games is adding to the junk pile. Educational skills will get them doing something useful happily.

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

a quick internet search says Oklahomans have voted to be a republican state ever since 1968

if they dont like it they should vote a different way

its none of my business to tell them which way they should or shouldnt vote...

thats what we call a democracy

and fuck teachers...fuck them all..in every state

90% are in just for the paycheck and the power

GeorgeJetStoned and mcme like this.
  4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I agree with a lot of this as America’s industry is changing from blue to white collar.

Back in the 50s though, fewer people went to college, and having a degree meant a lot more than it does today where we have an over saturated market of college graduates. Many colleges have gone from being institutions of higher learning, to diploma mills where anyone who pays tuition will get a certificate regardless. One of my fellow classmates I graduated with, had 3 F’s on his report card, but was still allowed to graduate. People like him are the reason why employers today are not too thrilled about resumes that say “college graduate” anymore. Thanks to this asshole, degrees from my institution where I studied are going to be worth considerably less to employers who see the resume. Plus, there’s now a bunch of new college majors that aren’t worth the trouble as they don’t teach you any new life skills. Such as Feminist Dance Therapy, Fat Studies, Gender Studies, Sociology, and more. No wonder so many college kids graduate with little skills to offer the world. If I could do college over again, I’d’ve gone to trade school before knowing what I truly wanted to do with my life. I’m doing a lot better than I did when I graduated with my first bachelors degree though.

You mention the $15 minimum wage at fast food places.

I moved out of Portland 2 years ago, and they are gradually going to institute a $15 minimum wage in the next couple years. My friend who still lives there is gonna suffer the consequences of it; he is a security guard and an armored truck driver who carries a hand gun and loads ATMs with cash. He currently makes $15 an hour, and soon there will be Starbucks employees who make as much as him. His job is much more dangerous, and requires a lot more skills than operating a cash register. Even worse is that unarmed guards who aren’t gun certified will make as much as he does. And his employer has no legal obligation to raise his wage when the $15 minimum wage finally comes through. And it’s a really shitty situation for him.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  5. mcme

mcme lurker

Horrible situation. He should be paid a small percentage of the large amount he safely delivers on time. Incentive to operate quickly and efficiently.

6. MeAgain

Real nice Spiff.
    I hope you're joking.

7. MeAgain

In college there is something called a GPA, or grade point average. Three failing grades are perfectly acceptable if the failing grades are in non-required classes and your GPA remains above the expected norm. (You could have "A"s in every other class or enough higher grades to raise your GPA). You can also retake a class you failed to raise your GPA.

There are many non required electives in college. You are perfectly free to take a class in Feminist Dance Therapy. You are insinuating that these classes are required for a Doctor of Medicine or a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering.

8. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

That's an older person opinion. Studies show that video games improve problem solving skills and can be social things. They are not the threat adults have said they were since the 1970's they are just new technology. The average gamer is in their early 30's in America now. A whole generation grew up with them and it's normal entertainment like movies or books.

9. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I wish the electives in college were optional and had a price tag attached to each one. I would probably have decided not to take them. Also, the first 2 years were general education and had little to do with my major. It was a good experience, but a tremendous amount of money.

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think that it has been a well thought out plan to ruin education. Don't believe it? Look who is running the country. These people don't get elected if people had an adequate education in order to make decisions. And not necessarily a college education. A little common sense wouldn't hurt either.

MeAgain likes this.
  11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Sense is no longer common... It's actually become quite rare.

scratcho likes this.
  12. MeAgain

There are required elective lists and unrequited electives.

The first two years of college are usually the time to explore possible majors and acquire the skills needed for whatever major you finally pick.

Also to broaden your world view.

13. mcme

mcme lurker

10 hrs. of gaming is as detrimental as 10 hrs. of television per day was. Ten hours of dealing with peers, outside in the real world, per day, is what makes a community.

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  14. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I'm not the fence with minimum wage. Back in the 70s I started out at $1.40 per hour. Then they raised it to $1.55 a few months later. The following year it went up to $1.65 and then a matter of months later it hit a whopping $1.85 per hour. I thought I was on easy street at that rate. I enlisted when it was around $2.05 and didn't see minimum wage again until 1993 when I was dead broke and had to do day labor, for $4.25 per hour. It sucked on a monumental scale that it had taken just over a decade to go slightly over double.

The inflation rate didn't stop, but minimum wage did.

I usually get the old "but it was never designed to be a living wage" bullshit from the uber-conservatives I encounter. To that I disagree. I remember plenty of people surviving reasonably well on minimum wage. But in the 80s the "trickle-down" economy kicked in. Only, nothing trickled down. Uncle Ray Gun said something like "if we make it easier for rich people to get richer, they'll happily give back into the system". They didn't.

It's amazing to me that we have a functioning economy at all. The nation would be covered with homeless shanty towns if not for the safety net programs (which grew in proportion to the lack of advancing minimum wages). If that's going to be the basis for our economy we are headed for a serious correction. I predicted it before, we usually have a recession when the president changes. But this time I think when the recession starts it will roll into a genuine depression. A depression that lasts decades.

Unless another major war comes up. Then things will get even worse as our nation's youth are forced to choose between starving under massive unemployment, or becoming a government whore for the military. Regardless of how this goes down the political party nonsense will be of no use to any of us. I still can't get over how polarized the US has become. It's as if Americans LIKE being pwned by politicians.
    What gives here?

Meliai and scratcho like this.
  15. 6-eyed shaman

When I got an F at that same college, I had to retake the course all over again. It sucked, but that’s the way it supposed to be. But they let this guy on through anyway. It was ridiculous and I complained. He was a student who’d been there off and on for 7ish years, and they finally let him through even though he was a complete piece of shit student.

I’m not talking about these courses as electives, they are actual majors and minors.

16. 6-eyed shaman

Back when the minimum wage was new, a working dad could support a wife and one kid on it just fine, and have a little money left over for some leisure. Now that big gov’t keeps adding more and more hidden taxes on everything, the cost of living had been jacked way up as a result.

The fact that someone who’s trained to use a handgun with accuracy for a private company, wears a bullet proof vest, and drives an armored truck carrying thousands of dollars to ATMs across the city, is making the same as a dish washer at Denny’s is pretty fucked up if you ask me.

mcme and GeorgeJetStoned like this.
  17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Thats an issue with his employer. Maybe they should pay him more

18. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I wish I knew as much about teachers and their personal motivations as some of the posters on here.

scratcho likes this.
  19. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

It's some costly exploration.

20. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Not all...maybe not 90%...I have known some very gifted teachers in my life who have inspired me....and then I have known of some "whack jobs" as well.....;)

Just like in everything...good and bad in all professions, etc.

SpacemanSpiff likes this.