REPUBLICAN Voter Suppression legislation

Discussion in 'Democracy' started by erofant, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Well, for you it was always easy, considering you're a white Retrumplican. It's only harder for those who aren't. And it's not harder everywhere--just in places where Retrumplicans hold power and are in charge of the process: .Republican lawmakers have Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Montana, Utah and Wyoming.
    Where Republicans Have Made It Harder To Vote (So Far)
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/03/22/republican-vote-restriction-turnout/
    Republicans say it should be harder to vote in America, while Democrats want to make it easier | YouGov
    Republicans are making it harder to vote. How much will it matter?
    As GOP makes it harder to vote, few Republicans dissent
    Here's how Texas Republicans aim to make voting harder
    Texas was a pioneer in this, so should be added to the list.
    Texas closes hundreds of polling sites, making it harder for minorities to vote
    Texas GOP finds new target for voter suppression: People with disabilities
    Texas Republicans try (and fail) to justify long voting lines
    Texas Voting Bill: Here's How Republicans Are Making It Harder To Vote
    EXPLAINER: How a new GOP law in Texas makes voting harder
    Our View: Why are Texas Republicans making it harder for people to vote?
    Texas Republicans start another push to make it harder for Black and brown people to vote
    We thought we had the problem solved, but a Republican majority on the Supreme Court did their usual thing and eviscerated the Voting Rights Act o 1965.
    Should I go on, or does that answer your question?

Piobaire and scratcho like this.
  2. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Yeah, preach to us about verification. Trump to Rafensberger: "I just want to find 11,780 votes", the minimum number needed to overcome Biden's advantage in Georgia." Retrumplicans fantasize about hordes of illegal voters being bus loaded from Mexico, when they cheat like hell. Disgusting hypocrites!

3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The Repubs are trying to get election deniers voted into office in the midterms, people who would overturn election results if those results favor Democrats. And sadly, there are plenty of voters who would support them. These people have been led to believe the Democrats are destroying this country and that Trump and his GOP lackeys are the only ones who can save it. They want democracy without Democrats. Or maybe they don't want democracy at all, they want it to be a free country for certain types of people (white Christians) while others don't enjoy such freedoms. Joe Biden's approval rating is rising lately, hopefully it will rise enough by November that the Republicans will get trounced.

sherman march and Tyrsonswood like this.
  4. tjr1964

tjr1964 Members

All these posts, reality, proof and facts, prove the GOP are committing suicide before our eyes .

5. sherman march

sherman march Members

I don't think a political party that is getting close to half of the national popular votes and winning about half of the states in the electoral college can be described as one committing suicide. This applies to both parties, not just Republicans.

6. newo

By all current indications the GOP will lose in 2024 in a bigger landslide than in 2020. One can be certain they'll resort to many desperate measures to try to turn things around, including even more restrictive voter suppression. Prepare for a dirty fight.

tjr1964 and scratcho like this.
  7. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Ugh….I guess given the post RR GOP, we shouldn’t be surprised that they will wallow in the slime.

tjr1964 and scratcho like this.
  8. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

"but we LIKE slime..."

scratcho likes this.
  9. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Post-election voter suppression, Retrumplican Style. Not only are Retumplicans into suppressing votes before elections, but it now seems they have decided to try to suppress the results if they don't like them. At least that's the case in Ohio.

After the Ohio voters decided decisevely to protect abortion rights by constitutional amendment, the Retumplican diehards in the legislature are talking about essentially rejecting the results by transferring the power to interpret what they call the "ambiguous" amendment from the courts to themselves. In a press release, they said: “The Ohio legislature alone will consider what, if any, modifications to make to existing laws based on public hearings and input from legal experts on both sides.” htttps://www.yahoo.com/news/ohio-republicans-god-given-restrict-213951995.html One lawmaker commented: “No amendment can overturn the God-given rights with which we were born,” state Rep. Beth Lear (R-Galena) Would someone please explain to this man that we live in a democracy, not a theocracy! Similar efforts are under way in Michigan to block implementation of a voter-approved abortion rights amendment. Ohio Republicans Say It’s Their ‘God Given Right’ to Restrict Abortion Access
    Changing the rules in the middle of the game was bad enough. Trying to change then after it should be beyond the pale!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
    scratcho and granite45 like this.
  10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"we don't need no stinkin' democracy." Please learn to lie, cheat and steal and then then register republican. You'll feel right at home . :cool::cool:

granite45 and Tishomingo like this.
  11. newo

Based on how poorly the GOP did on Thursday, I have to wonder about something. How accurate or honest are these polls currently showing Trump so far ahead? Not just ahead of the other Republican candidates but in many places ahead of Biden! Could these polls be slanted to favor Trump and the rest of the GOP?

granite45 likes this.
  12. granite45

13. newo

Don't get me wrong, I know they (whoever THEY are) can't affect every poll, but some are made to be slanted. Christ, I don't want to turn into a conspiracy theorist, but Trump brings it out in me!

granite45 likes this.
  14. granite45

I feel like many of us are watching the spectacle of zombies following the leader like lemmings to the cliff. T needs to be convicted to restore our faith in the US legal system. Much of the world with exception of VP would breathe a sigh of relief.

scratcho and Tishomingo like this.
  15. newo

I should have looked into it more, turns out one of the polls showing Trump doing well against Biden is by the New York Times, which is no friend of Trump. He called it a fake newspaper! If anything they're slanted against Trump, so now I'm even more concerned.

Anyway we have a year to put him in jail, or make him ineligible to run, or at least make him look so bad that he can't win. Perhaps it's time for us to take a more active anti-Trump role.

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Trump has now resorted to one of Nazi Germany's favorite epithets --along with communists, left wing hoodlums, people who hate this country and want to tear it down----one of Hitler's favorites---VERMIN! Comparing we left wingers to rats,etc. The son of a bitch is full on Nazi--authoritarian!!!:mad::mad::mad:

That's how it's done---vilify the "other". Make them seem less than human. Worthy of BEING WIPED OUT!! Frankly , I can't really say how I feel about him--I'D GET A VISIT FROM THE FBI.:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
  17. newo

Do you mean if Trump is re-elected?

In a 1971 interview, Groucho Marx told Flash magazine, "I think the only hope this country has is Nixon’'s assassination." Yet he was not subsequently arrested for threatening the life of a president. The Justice Department replied:

It is one thing to say that "I (or we) will kill Richard Nixon" when you are the leader of an organization which advocates killing people and overthrowing the Government; it is quite another to utter the words which are attributed to Mr. Marx, an alleged comedian. It was the opinion of both myself and the United States Attorney in Los Angeles (where Marx’s words were alleged to have been uttered) that the latter utterance did not constitute a "true" threat.

In 2012 Ted Nugent said, "If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, again, I will be either be dead or in jail by this time next year." That was taken as a threat, a veiled threat maybe but still a threat. The secret service met with him and chastised him, but decided what he said was not a true threat.

Saying you wish someone would kill Trump is acceptable, saying you're going to kill Trump is not. Freedom of speech has its limits, and if the orange conman gets back in office you're going to see a lot more limits.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

19. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

That's the difference between Nixon and Trump. That was then, this is now! If you listen to what he's saying, Trump is much more extreme, and seems to have about half the electorate behind him! "Exterminate the vermin!" What do you suppose he'll do to his niece, the shrink who thinks he's nuts and evil?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  20. newo