Remember when?

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Longbeard1971, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Longbeard1971

Longbeard1971 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

People actually worked for what they wanted and did not expect everything for free.

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Remember when workers could get their asses beaten up or killed when they wanted a wage they could live on and discussed it openly?

tjr1964, granite45, MeAgain and 2 others like this.
  3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

you could have some things be about money without everything having to be.
    (the strikes being bloody violent was before my time in the u.s., though that sort of thing probably still goes on occasionally,
    hope it isn't coming back to the u.s. the way wannabe fascists want it to)
    i remember the farm workers organizing, that was in my lifetime.
    the only people who expect everything to be free are the fascist who whine about it when anything is free for anyone other then themselves.

etherea, granite45, MeAgain and 2 others like this.
  4. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Pay heed to the words of this song !!!

granite45, MeAgain, themnax and 2 others like this.
  5. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

It's amazing how all those years of America trying to keep up with Japan & et al's production & productivity levels after our corporations had started heavily investing in their infrastructure for the sake of bottom-barrel slave wage cheap labor has afflicted the american worker with a sort of stockholm syndrome favoring their wage-slave masters,,, :eek::p

granite45, themnax and scratcho like this.
  6. scratcho

Yup, and republicans to this day still hate unions and write "right to work laws", in various states.

Wow---you can really hear the influence Woody had on Dylan.

granite45, MeAgain and FritzDaKatx2 like this.
  7. FritzDaKatx2

Should be standard reading in American schools to influence a lot more. ;)

scratcho likes this.
  8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Remember when you had to have someone in the same room with you in order to have real sex.....

Now your wife/girlfriend/lover could be 6,000 miles away and all she would have to do is put her lips on her phone while you do the same and experience a real kiss.....or caress the phone with her hand while you place the phone on your ...well, I'll leave that up to your imagination.

[​IMG]

FritzDaKatx2 and scratcho like this.
  9. FritzDaKatx2

upload_2021-7-29_12-39-11.jpeg

[​IMG]

themnax, scratcho and hotwater like this.
  10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

is there a brail smartphone ap for google maps? and just how would that work for anything other then phone sex anyway?
    maybe a seperate phone for other aps? maybe you could put this on your nintendo switch? and can you get one with fur?

hotwater likes this.
  11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i remember when being hippie meant not having to keep up with other people's ideas of conventionality, but more then that, just not having to worry about those kinds of things.
    before all the mundanes jumped on the bandwagon looking for the media fantasy about boose drugs and sex, and brought all their mundane world baggage with them.

consideration is always a thing because that's how we make our world the difference between being a heaven or hell, but conventionality really has nothing to do with it.
    (and idiots thinking they had to prove some kind of hyper masculity where almost completely unheard of either)

12. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

31st of August 1997.

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'd been married about a little more then a year, my dad had been dead for about five years, my mom was still alive,
    i can't really place anything specificlly in my life connected directly with that particular date though.

i was still docenting at the local carnagie musium, active in the local model railroad club, regularly attending Baha'i meetings,
    not sure if i had internet yet then or not. i think finally had a computer again though, just maybe, maybe not.
    if i did it had windows 3.11 running on dos 7.5 with q-basic. i remember it having the case statement and no longer requiring line numbers.

i may have still had the hornet wagon, or i may have just sold it for scrap.
    wife and i were, i'm pretty sure, still living in the apartment she had previously shared with a couple of other women around her own age.

i remember pet sitting a rabbit who smelled really bad, over a weekend or so, (for one of her former roomates), but i don't think it was that particular date.

DrRainbow likes this.
  14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i remember that brief 20 years, from 1960 to 1980 when people were looking forward instead of backward.
    when they were remembering a future, most of which, we now have. all of which, there were still a few, who believed none of it would ever happen.
    the tragidies and wonders of my life were still to happen. i remember science fiction was still being written about things we have and have happened,
    that was still in a future people still imagined was way much further on then it actually turned out to be.

i really did not like the 1950s very much, though in hind sight there were a couple of things still good about it, just as there are even in the worst of times.

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

hobbies were a form of creative expression, not a source of income. and that distinction, was the whole point of them.
    of course there were still making things for the hobby market being done for profit, but not everyone in them were trying to do so.

also a form of stress releaf, which making everything have to be about money isn't.
    when it was even considered noble, to not try and make everything have to be about money.

when more people lived in small towns then in suburbs or big cities.
    when transportation meant trains and buses instead of cars and airplanes.
    when a tikitaki in the suburbs or an apartment in the city, weren't the only options for a legal address.
    when zip codes hadn't been invented.
    when every store and restaurant wasn't indentured to some corporate franchise.
    when today's fascist wannabees, no matter how much illicit substances they consume, were the exact opposite, of what it meant to be a hippie.
    when radical meant daring to be logical and creative and open to diversity, and not aggressive, inconsiderate and narcissistic.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    tjr1964 likes this.
  16. hotwater

Hard to believe there was a time when this was a state-of-the-art tv entertainment systems

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    tjr1964, themnax and scratcho like this.
  17. hotwater

TV shopping in the early 70s

[​IMG]

tjr1964 and scratcho like this.
  18. scratcho

I remember that "something in the air, " feeling when John F Kennedy was elected over the sleazebag Nixon. You just knew , somehow, that things were going to be --different--better--maybe even progressive--a better sense of right and wrong--a beating back of what people are so upset about being exposed to now--CRT. I felt it coming back again with the ascendance of Robert Kennedy. Alas---it seems that back in the 60s--it was much easier to rid the country of left leaning politicians. :(
    Now it's easier to just lie and cheat and millions of people eagerly believe the lies .

etherea, Tyrsonswood and granite45 like this.
  19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i wanted one of those for the monitor for my osi c1p, vic 20, or c-64.
    never happened
    though i did eventually get first the c1p
    and then eventually, my second computer that worked, a vic-20 with expansion up to an almost equivelant of a c-64.

my furst i-bum clone was with a monchrome monitor too.

humans, such a world we could have if they loved imagination more and hated logic less.

hotwater likes this.
  20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i remember her, as mastermind behind all sorts of wierd, mostly bad or dangerous things, but not sure whether lexx, the doctor, or something else.
    also i think she had been born human and had this done to her for reasons i don't remember either. its been, more then ten years ago these episodes of which ever were aired.