remember when we had freedom of speech?

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by phil1965, May 27, 2020.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Here in the U.S. you have a Constitutional right to your own opinions, regardless of how heinous or repugnant.
    There is no corresponding Constitutional right to be taken seriously, to compel others to give you a soapbox and a megaphone, to torment or threaten other people, or to immunity from rebuttal or the consequences of your speech.

1931345_10153807069117889_6673857205497313511_n.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  2. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I remember those days of Black and White prior to Colour- when a spade could be called a spade, and though was either a card suit or a garden tool, wording was often used in a derogatory way
    Life was stark and brutal both in language and in actions and the move towards change was an absolute necessity.
    However,
    With New openings and opportunities, it often see a degree of anarchy and wild abandonment.
    Freedom of expression and rights are essential to us all, though needs to be considered, and this balance requires a degree of constraint and measured advancement.
    In truth, Education is overridden by Desire, and instead of development there unrealistic expectancy
    I feel we've always/never, had/have Free Speech.
    Big Brother (be it overt or covert) has always been around and these days with the 'advancement of IT, coupled with social media never been so easy.
    It's not so much what one says and believes - for Conviction and Conscience should be everybody's credo - but moreover, protest and protection requires thoughtful management and strategic employment of the things that one has at their disposal
    Nothing is free and whilst ownership of responsibility is a requisite of belief "eternal vigilance is the price of liberty" a balance that is key
    IMO

3. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The right to free speech is not and has never been absolute. If it were, there wouldn’t be libel laws and people detained for their part in the January 6th insurrection. Free speech is not some mythical right to spew hate, racism, misogyny, bigotry. These actions have consequences and the community has a pervasive right to be protected from such violence and destructiveness. Displaying symbols of hate and racism, “ the swastika and confederate flag “ are destructive acts and need to be treated as such.

snowtiggernd, scratcho and themnax like this.
  4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

1491?
    aggressive inconsiderateness is never an expression of freedom, but the very reason the limiting of freedoms is ever the unavoidable tradeoff that it is.
    nor was jan 6.21 an expression of freedom nor the events of the past four years leading up to it, protected speech.

the brits had guy faux, now the u.s. has jan 6.
    (except remember remember the 6th of january doesn't quite rime or scan as well)

5. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

The cost of freedom went through the roof, when the Berlin wall fell. Commies just aren't doing the job anymore, and we need something else to threaten the rich and famous with.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the cost of freedom is always mutual consideration. the human ego seems to somehow sometimes have a hard time remembering this.
    no amount of guns nor money can ever be counted upon to pay it. to make a big mess of everything else, but not to without consideration, purchase it.

7. wooleeheron

The cost of freedom is selling your ass to the highest bidder. Donald Duck was president, and had the power to torture and kill anyone on the planet, in the name of freedom, without so much as having to inform anyone. The banks own the world, try being free without a bank account.

8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I've always said exactly what I mean wherever I was------still do. I believe I have always had free speech. Maybe I'm wrong tho------

9. Escierto

Escierto Members

When I see a thread like this, I don’t even read it. I can just see from the title it’s completely predictable nonsense from Trump’s zombies.

Longstone, scratcho and Piobaire like this.
  10. wooleeheron

You are perfectly free to say whatever you want in a lynch mob, but they may hang you, or clean out your bank account.

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

sorry. don't see any freedom in that. or the point of it. its not the little green pieces of paper that are unhappy. sure the banks own the world, but only because people con each other into making everything have to be about trying to impress each other, instead of enjoying what they could otherwise create and explore themselves.

freedom is when you can build your own shelter how you like, and relocate as far as you can find means to travel, with no one telling you otherwise as long as its not so close to them as to limit their own freedoms to do so as well. (the real root of evil is narcissism)

12. wooleeheron

The banks own the world, because if you don't pay them, they send people after you with guns.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the doesn't explain how that is supposed to be freedom which is what you seem to imply.
    it also misses my point that that this is not a default condition of the universe, but something that is only the way it is because people make it that way.
    (and make it that way by valuing trying to impress each other more then the kind of world they have to live in)

this is a failure to ask the next question: "where do the banks come from? where do the guns come from? where does the idea of money come from?"

the box of the familiar isn't the beginning nor ending of anything other then itself.

14. wooleeheron

I don't make up the definitions for words and, these days, freedom in America is a joke in bad taste. You have the freedom to vote in rigged elections, you have the freedom to talk about anything you want, and be sued. You have the freedom to vote for whoever you want, so long as its not Mickey Mouse.

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

this is evading the question. where is the freedom that is only gained by selling your soul to the banks?
    all the rest of that is old news. yes houses for a hundred years and now cars as well, have gotten so expensive that usually only the banks can afford to purchase them outright.
    but that does not in any way address your claim. what "freedom" are you talking about?