Remember when a pack of cigarettes didnt cost 2 hrs of minimum wage?!

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Disco Doom, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Disco Doom

Disco Doom Guest

I'm in NYC and a pack of Newport hovers right around the $14 range, and they have systematically shut down the Indian reservation smoke shops, so I'm left with making a run to New Jersey to get them along w cheaper gas. There have actually been discussions to jack the prices up higher and also raising bridge and tunnel tolls. The Verrazano bridge that connects Brooklyn and Staten Island could be as much as $15 by yrs end.

You smokers that read this what are you paying for a pack of cigarettes in New York outside the 5 boroughs. I'd lik to see how bad we are getting ripped off here in NYC.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'm no where near you, but I'm shocked that a pack of smokes is more than $5.00 here... I roll my own so I don't keep tabs on pack prices... $14 bills is outrageous.

3. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Good think I never started the nasty habit.

tjr1964 and Sagewynd like this.
  4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Dude, I roll my own and smoke for about two weeks on $14.

5. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

$5.05 for a pack of L&M menthols here. All others over $6. Paid 35 cents for a back of Marlboro Reds back in 1972.

6. Tyrsonswood

Do you remember making a pledge to quit when they hit $1 a pack? ... didn't work for me. :rolleyes:

Piobaire likes this.
  7. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

I'm not a smoker, but my Mama ended up quitting because of the cost. Now lets talk about the price of gas...I remember when it was .99 cents a gallon. :(

8. Tyrsonswood

Quit reminding me.... I remember 25 cents for a gallon of Sunoco 260 which happened to be 130 octane. :( You can't buy that anywhere today for any price.

Back to the OP price of smokes...

9. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

Didn't work for me either. For a buck I get 2 gallons of gas and a pack of smokes. For another 69 cents I could get a 6 pack of Black Label beer.

10. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

bread was a dime a loaf

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

When I was a teenager, which wasn't that long ago, my friends and I would scrape together 5 or 6 bucks and buy a pack of cigarettes and enough gas to last a couple of days of driving around aimlessly. Throw in a couple of .49 cent cheeseburgers from Burger King and a movie at the dollar theater and we were set.

I haven't bought cigarettes in a couple of years. I think they're around $6 a pack here now. When I was in New York 3 years ago they were $11 a pack.

12. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

well all,,, you wont believe this but look them up yourself.

i live in florida, and we have tabacco companies that put ciggarette tobacco w/ a filter, but the paper is a lightweight cigar tabacco. guess how much they are a pack?
    $4?? NO
    $6?? NO
    $3?? NO
    ANSWER: anywhere from (depends on the store and brand) 80cents to $1.50 a pack!!!

13. Smokinjoe

Smokinjoe Member

fuck that im so glad i dont smoke cigs pot cost enuf

14. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I remember saying that at $1, $2, $3 and then just realized that price was just not going to make me quit. I think packs now are about $6.50 or so. I wish I never started. Quitting is just not happening although I will probably stop when I die.

15. Muchtooyoung

Muchtooyoung Member

I packed in the cigs 15 years ago, at todays prices I'm glad I did. They cost over £7.00 a pack. I remember buying for 10pence when I was a kid. After I left school, settled down and all that stuff I used to buy a carton for the week. Just glad that I don't buy them anymore.

16. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Shit! That's fucking jet fuel! :2thumbsup:

Cigarettes around $6 where I am.

But I just bought 3 months worth of rolling tobacco for $39. :D

17. Disco Doom

Disco Doom Guest

I was living in Miami for 5 yrs up until 2008 and smokes weren't that cheap, even if I drove down to homestead or the inner keys. Not to sound rude but central.FL is like the south where everything is cheaper, south FL is all city basically, unless you head West to the glades and up north except for Orlando, and Jacksonville you guys have a quieter existence. Or am I completely off base with that as that was my impression

18. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I remember several people saying "I don't care what, when cigarettes hit a dollar a pack, I'm quitting."

Cigarettes themselves are still very inexpensive. It's the chemotherapy, radiation therapy, surgical procedures, inpatient copays/deductibles, dozens of medications, CT scans, MRIs, and PET scans that will add up, even with the best health plan in the nation.

19. Mayor Salt

Mayor Salt Member

I still smoke but I make a pack last a couple weeks... that way it's not too hard on my pocketbook or my body.

20. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

And thats just from the effects of diesel exhaust! :rolleyes:

I remember 35 cents a pack when I was a kid...you had to walk all the way to the bowling-ally and get 'em from the machine in the vestibule where no one could see you.