Remember Atari 2600, NES, Intellivision, & Colecovision?

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by profezzor_x, Aug 5, 2008.

1. profezzor_x

profezzor_x Member

Remember when home entertainment was in it's infancy, and video game companies like Atari, Nintendo, Coleco, Texas Instrament and a few others put in their bids to dominate over one another with the latest and greatest electronic gadgetry and game accesories?

Games like Mario, Pitfall, Sonic the Hedgehog, Burger Time, Castlevania, and a plethora of other game titles kept kids glued to their television sets, prompted a digital revolution for baby boomers, and kept game anufactures in Silica Valley very rich with a little mechanism called the computer chip...

And no matter what country you were in, there was always an abundance of gamers that managed to share the common bond with other kids around the world with their love of games.

Tell me your fondest memories of home video games back in the early 1980's.

2. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

Im trying to get the synthcart for Atari 2600 :D
    And maybe nanoloop for Nintendo Gameboys :)

3. profezzor_x

profezzor_x Member

These days there are MAME files that you can set up on your computer so that you can play those exact same games from that era. They're not too hard to find either.

But since my laptop is the only computer I have right now, I don't want to risk complete failure if they're installed incorrectly... And believe me, you don't want to mess up your entire computer trying to install MAME's.

4. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

There are emulators on the web that mimic all those old video game consoles and vintage PCs. :)

Here's an emulator for the old Sinclair PC.

http://www.vavasour.ca/jeff/ts1000/

Dude111 likes this.
  5. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

old school games were SO much harder to beat. I know people who played super mario for years before they beat it.

I remember when owning a Sega genesis was such a big step up from a NES, and now look at the graphics you can get on a ps3. Come a very long way. I still play by NES though, I doubt i will play the ps3 when it gets old, it's just not the same, old games are classics.

6. clegg

clegg Member

Coleco Vision rocked!!!

never knew what those numbers were for, on the joystick, but it still rocked!

7. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

i still have my dad's intellivision. the thing's pretty sweet. burger time is the coolest game ever. you can download a free emulator and play it on your computer...along with pretty much every atari, nes, snes, etc game...which is excellently sweet, not to mention bodacious.

8. hayduke_lives5447

hayduke_lives5447 Sancho

We were pretty poor when I was a kid so all we got was an NES after it wasn't really cool anymore. Speaking of those emulators though, I was trying to get one to work with That Oregon Trail game we used to play in school. I had a strange compulsion to play that game but never could get it to work. That game was the Shit.

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  9. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

lol. hell yeah. sim ant was pimp too.

10. woodsman

woodsman Senior Member

My 1st console was a 2600. I feel old.

11. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

The numbers are so @ the beggining when that screen comes on you can select what level you want to start on and other inputs...

I hate coleco joysticks. They are SO HARD TO USE!!

I plug my Atari 2600 sticks in and use those on my Coleco!!! (Once the game is started)

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

We had an Atari it was our first console. My dad used to take me out on Friday afternoon we would go to the take away store for some potato cakes and then go to this cheap store that sold Atari games and get one every week. And I would skip along home so excited to play.

Asmodean, Dude111 and McFuddy like this.
  13. I remember how psyched we all were when Super Mario 3 made an appearance in the blockbuster hit "The Wizard." Man, that kid could play a mean Mario bros.

soulcompromise likes this.
  14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I finished Mario 3 plenty but never every Level I just found the whistle and went to the last stage.

15. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Defender and Adventure for the Atari 2600 were my first ever video games. My brother, cousin and I would stay up all night playing. Good memories.

Dude111 likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What about Pole Position?

Dude111 likes this.
  17. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Never played that one. Other than the ones I mentioned the only other ones I liked were Pitfall and Starmaster.

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I had a flying one like WW1 plane and a submarine game which was cool. Pole position. The one where you shoot down rockets in the sky hmmm an Egyptian game where you were a bird. Few others

19. If you get the whistle in the castle and the whistle in world 3 in level 1 in Mario 3, you can use the whistle, go to the warp zone screen, equip the second whistle, and warp to 8 from 1. I've been through every world and beaten it, though. The maze castle with the ghosts is very difficult. Bowser is so easy, though.

20. I used to play Custer's Revenge on an emulator.