Relationships

Discussion in 'Free Love' started by Leslie, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Leslie

Leslie Member

Have you ever been in a relationship with someone who is much older then you?If so,what was the age differance?Is it wrong?
    I'm currently in a relationship with someone who is 20 years older than I am and my parents dissaprove of it because of our age differance.I don't find any problems with it.We are both adults.I would like your insight/opinion.Peace and love.

2. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Depends on how old you are.

3. dhs

dhs Senior Member

I think anything beyond 15 is unrealistic if you're looking for something to last a lifetime and maintain common interests and experiences with a partner.

I know many people who at 50 are quite youthful. I know very few people who are 65 and not majorly slowing down

Obviously you should live in the present and not worry about a tomorrow that might not happen and if it works for you, then go for it, but I'm sure your folks dissapprove because they're being realistic about the long term probability of things lasting a lifetime for you and your partner.

4. Leslie

Leslie Member

I'm 23.

5. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I'd say it's not that big of a deal then...it all depends on how stable you are.

And if this guy is out for something different...or maybe he just like younger women and once you start getting older, he'll trade you in for a new model.

It's probably a good idea to tread softly with him.

6. dhs

dhs Senior Member

then I can understand your parents point of view

20 years is alot, maybe not in the present, but at some point its bound to make for some unique challenges

best of luck

and do what makes you happy is all I can say

7. hiro

hiro pursue it

My stepdad is 20 years older than my mom, I don't see anything wrong with things like that. You are twenty three though and that might be different as opposed to say if you met him when you were 43.

8. lynsey

lynsey Banned

I was in a relationship with somone 33 years my senior....not advisable. He had A LOT of baggage as a rule in general I don't date men with kids but I thought ah well his kids are older then me so no biggie, it was even a bigger deal. His daughter just moved out of his home he always talked about how similar we are and then tonight he calls me up and wants to fly me up to napa (where he lives now) for a weekend to go 'wining,dining and shopping' as he put it. I just figured out I wasn't a girlfriend the other month. I was a whore. Just came to that realization tonight after his phone call and man was it a jagged big horse vitamin pill to swallow that that's what I was in his eyes when mt intentions were true.
    Stay away from anyone more then 10 years older then you and away from those who are broken beyond repair. Be smart and think with your heart-edit think with your gut feeling and remember older men can be un beleivabley charming and seductive because they've had practice. The guy who looks good on paper (typically the older man) has a lot of hidden desires or secrets to achieve that resume.
    Basically be a smart girl...

9. hippyman1252

hippyman1252 Member

For a year and a half I was with a 46 year old woman beautiful inside and out and I was 21 when we go together for the first time, let me tell you it's really a beautiful thing age didnt matter to us, it's just the people who judge you upon appearance. People who arent in the relationship dont understand that connection. They look at you when you go into places and they talk within themselves and all the while have no idea what the two people are feeling for one another. Dont worry about what others think, what others feel or what others want you to do. Criticism is ok if its constructive but that doesnt come about too often, so do your own thing and most important be happy. The only downfall is the baggage that is with someone thats much older than you, whether it be life experience, kids, previous relationships so on. Can it work yeah you just have to work alittle harder. GOOD LUCK

10. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

A good friend of mine is engaged to someone 20-odd years older than she is. Funny thing is, apparently he's the only boyfriend her parents have fully approved. Good man, that guy... Anyway, what's important is to follow your heart. If you and your partner are in a happy relationship, that's what matters the most.

11. LeftyGirl420

LeftyGirl420 Member

i like you AT....;)

12. Texplayboy

Texplayboy Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I would think that it would get harder as time passes. It can be a great adventurefor a few years, but a 30 year relationship can be difficult. There will be so many things that you won't enjoy doing together by then. I am 8 years older than my wife, I am glad the difference is not more.

I would not suggest that you end the relationship, just let it takes it's course. The important thing is to keep it real. Don't keep it alive to prove someone else wrong. You will know when it is over, if that time ever comes.

We rarely get a lifetime relatoinship with anyone, except our parents, and we did not get to choose them. So don't expect every relationship you have to meet that goal. I blame Disney for making us think that we have to live happily-ever-after every time we kiss a toad.

James

13. paperdoll075

paperdoll075 Member

My inlaws are 20 years the difference and what a disaster. She is a youthful 50 year old and he is a senile 70 year old. He slowed down very fast and everything about it is just terrible - they don't work. They look very wrong together. I'm not sure their love was ever that sustaining in the first place, but either way, the differences are just too great now. Tread carefully, i would say.

14. rg paddler

rg paddler Senior Member

I'd say go with the moment - you can learn a hell of alot from an older woman,(I found).Sometimes things you never dreamt of - but yeah beware of the hell on toast factor -

15. Irish Drunkard

Irish Drunkard Member

Very sound advice. A younger male/older female relationship rarely has a lot going for it, other than maybe more sex than one could possibly imagine with both of you at your sexual peaks. Like Ben Franklin said of older women, "They don't yell, they don't tell, they don't swell, and they're grateful as hell".

But once that wears off, the differences that the two of you had been ignoring are going to surface. You might like going out on weekends, and she likes to relax at home on weekends. In the end, its never really a good idea to unpack your bags.