Reflections; Parents of Transexual and Transgendered Children

Discussion in 'Transexual and Transgender' started by Samhain, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Are you a parent, how would you feel if you found out your children where transexual or transgendered.
    maybe this is very real to you because its already happened?
    Are you transexual or transgendered, do you dread coming out to your parents or have you come out, if so what was the experince like?
    Are you planning on having children and wonder how you would cope in this situation?

everyone please feel free to use this thread to discuss and reflect on this issue what ever your experinces may be
    S

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i'd be fine with it, honestly :) and i'd hope that my relationship with my kid would be strong enough that he could talk to me about anything, including an issue like this one, and still expect to be unconditionally loved and supported.

3. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

I plan on having children someday and I hope to raise my child(ren) to know that anything that they are, they will be supported. I know I would cope well.

What worries me is how other people in my family might react to that, even the potential father. I've talked to him about it, and we are not on the same page. Some people really just don't understand, or maybe don't want to understand, and that scares me.

4. Samhain

do you think theres any scope for you both to straighten out your differences of opinon before you start a family, mention how important this is to you, maybe talk about other things that he knows are important to you and supports you with and compare it to those?
    S

5. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

Well, to me it is very important, and I don't want to start a family with someone who may be unaccepting of our child, so it's not happening anytime soon anyway.

But when it comes to discussion, I get upset after a while. For once, just a couple hours ago, I tried to argue my point logically and calmly, without being angry or giving up and he somewhat tried to understand what I was saying, but I don't think he will get it until he knows someone who is transgendered/transexual and I think that's true of a lot of people.

Unfortunately that very fact that many people won't understand until they know someone, I think makes a lot of people stay in the closet and I think I understand that as well.

He's not homophobic, most other "alternative" lifestyles he understands and is supportive of, but this he is not...

6. Samhain

thats kinda what I thought although I was relunctant to say it cause I don't like to tell people how to live their lives!

why don't you ask him to read some of the posts in here, tell him its important to you, it might help him to read the definations thread?
    S

7. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

Yeah I could send him a link. I think that thread was really informative, could probably send that to everyone I know, haha.

8. Samhain

I keep adding to it!
    so have another look from time to time!

you could also reflect with your boyfriend how he feel when people don't accept his life style for whatever reasons and how he feels towards people who don't accept you and the people he loves
    (because it doesn't matter who we are there are always people who don't accept us!)
    S

9. erzebet1961

erzebet1961 Senior Member

I think that your boyfriend might be among those that can accept certain actions from "OTHER" people, but not from what he would call " HIS OWN", like one of his children , or a family member...dont worry, the fact that he at least doesnt judge the others too harshly is like a foot in the door !