Reductive amination using Sodium Cyanoborohydride

Discussion in 'Drug Chemistry' started by ab4mp, Apr 22, 2020.

1. ab4mp

ab4mp Members

Hi, I'm interested to know if anyone has any experience with the reductive amination of MDP2P or P2P to its corresponding imine then amine using Sodium Cyanoborohydride.

Using a combination of literature online I have performed a few attempts with multiple results but never any desired product.

Method one is carried out in methanol at a ph of >12 for 1hr, this resulted in a dark colouration and polymer type product which smelt like MDP2P and was hard to dissolve.

Method two was carried out for 48hrs at a ph of 6. This is the more common and specific method described for these particular products, but still at the end I end up with almost 100% ketone recovered and no amine conversion.

I'm wondering if any water in the methanol is hindering imine formation, as it is not dry when purchased.

I'd prefer to do the conversion with the Sodium Cyanoborohydride as I have a fair qty of it, if not can anyone make any suggestions for a low risk reductive amination using MDP2P and methylamine?

Thanks in advance.