reconstruction for resale

Discussion in 'Clothes' started by kitty fabulous, Jun 5, 2006.

1. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

So the other day I was coming back from the co-op and the woman with the shop on the corner saw my reconstructed work jeans skirt and asked if I sell wholesale, then proceeded to place an order for a dozen reconstructed jean skirts.

Given Ground Score Enterprises name and stated artistic phiosophy, I was planning on adding reconstructed garments eventually. Since I now have a wholesale order, I guess "eventually" is now!

Who here reconstructs garments for resale? Can anyone give me advice for either the creative or business aspect of reconstructed garment sales/wholesaling? For jean skirts, what sizes usually move the fastest? I picked up 4 pairs of jeans sizes 10 & 12 today, and a pair of 8/10 overalls to turn into a dress. I told myself I wasn't going to spend more than 99 cents on each pair of jeans, so I can get more creative with the embellishments and spend time creating while still keeping costs down.

A woman in the thrift store saw my skirt and told me she'd pay "about $70 or $80" retail for something similar (I gave her the name and location of the store I'm selling to just in case she's serious.) Is that about right? So that would put the wholesale price at, what? $40 a skirt? Maybe $50 for something fancier? (This one is pretty plain.) What about the overalls dress?

It occurred to me I can make some really special garments this way. I had the crazy notion of getting a pair of overalls bleached really pale blue and making a wedding dress! (Not that I ever plan on getting married again.) Do offbeat specialty items ever sell at all? I mean, I imagine they'd move slower than the plain skirts, but is it worth experimenting with?

2. I think very unique offbeat things seem to sell much better. As long as it's something someone would actually wear. I think that's what people are looking for when they buy clothing made by someone and quality.

Good luck I hope that woman is serious. Retail items are usually marked up 3 times more than wholesale. So you may get $40 for a skirt. I don't know some people are only willing to pay a few bucks for something wholesale. Just make sure you get a fair price for all your work.