Recipes thread:

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by nimh, Apr 21, 2006.

1. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

post your fave body care recipes here!

Cheers!

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

sugar scrub:
    mix a bit of sugar with some olive oil or some honey. add a drop of peppermint eo. scrub scrub scrub!

3. lola78

lola78 Member

grind up herbs like lavendar and sage to a powder add to cornstarch and you have scented body powder.

4. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

calendula balm

grow some calendula. when they flower, fill a jar squished full with the flowers and then top off with some extra virgin olive oil. forget about it in a dark cupboard for a couple of months. strain off the lovely calendula infused olive oil. add about one part gently melted over a double boiler, organic no-chemical beeswax from your favourite local beekeeper to 4 parts oil. store in small glass jars (little bitty jam jars are really nice balm containers). sometimes i also like to add some lavender essential oil to a jar or two before the mixture solidifies.

i love this balm for cuts and scrapes, rashes and diaper-rash, dry skin, etc. i find that it's a wonderful cure-all for anything skin related.

5. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

Bathing Salt

250 g of Salt (Preferrably the big grains, and sea-salt)
    5-10 ml of essential oil
    Food coloring (can be left out)

Put the salt into a bowl, put a few drips of the oil in, stir well, add more oil, and stir. Repeat this until the smell is stronger then you would like it to be in your Bath, because the water will dilute the smell again. For my favorite smell, blood orange, about 6 -7 ml is enough.
    Then add the food color if desired, it works the same way. A few drops, and stirring.

6. Saje

Saje Member

Olive oil and sea salt mixed together half and half as a body scrub. you've got to wash it off after but it's nice :)

7. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

or use comfrey instead of calendula. I make all kinds of ointments and balms using oil infused with comfrey. For diaper rash ointment, I like almond or apricot kernel oil steeped in comfrey and chamomile for at least a month, mixed with enough beeswax to make it the right consistency, and add two or three drops of grapefruit seed extract and maybe some shea butter after it starts to cool but before it solidifies. For mama skin (and hair), I take some of the basic ointment recipe, and add cocoa butter and more shea butter to it. For chapped lips, take the basic ointment recipe and add more beeswax and some menthol crystals.

8. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

This is the body/face scrub I use, and I looooooooove it far too much :D Gets your skin really soft and clean, and its so easy to make. :) I got it off a recipe site a while ago, and theres a similar one on www.pioneerthinking.com

Brown Sugar Body Scrub

2 Tbsp oatmeal
    2 Tbsp brown sugar
    2 Tbsp aloe vera gel (I use mine right from the plant)
    1 Tbsp honey
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1 tsp almond, macadamia nut, olive or avocado oil (you don't neeeed this, but it's a nice addition sometimes)

Mix it all up and scrub :) (I strongly advise you do this one in the shower. Otherwise you'll be covered in oats ;) )

9. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

there's a book that has some really beautiful recipes, called earthly bodies, heavenly hair (or something along those lines).

ps, moonjavaseed, i'm going to try that recipe! sounds lush. gotta tweak it a bit because i dont own any brown sugar or oatmeal (the only sugar allowed in my house is white sugar for the hummingbirds, so i'll steal some of theirs haha and we're a gluten free zone, so i'll try flax meal). i've even got fresh lemons right now. :)

10. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

:D I really recommend it. I used it today. Never found anything else like it. My skin is sooooo soft after using it :D

I'm sure white sugar and flax meal will work just fine. ;)

11. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

yes, yes it did :) ! beautiful recipe. i added a drop of peppermint eo too.

12. lola78

lola78 Member

for body powder I grind up dried lavender and sage and add it to cornstarch.

For a facial toner I take 4 oz. witch hazel add 20 drops tea tree and a few drops of Bach rescue remedy and mix.

I use a lot of tasmanian lavender in recipes like salves and lotions.

13. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

foot soak:

1/2 c epsom salts
    few drops of tea tree oil
    few drops of peppermint
    flower petals if you want to get all girly and frou frou...er for the spa effect

anyways, it's invigorating, smells good and helps with fighting foot fungus

:)

14. Yakima

Yakima Member

Anyone got good recipes for shower oil and/or lipbalm?

15. Yakima

Yakima Member

I tried it and I agree, the skin gets very soft =). But it was a bit sticky :p

16. busmama

busmama go away

Lip balms, salves and massage creams can be made by melting a high quality oil and beeswx together. For lip balm, use a higher ratio of wax to oil. Vitamin e oil, and oils and extracts can be added to suit your needs.

I thought I would share a recipe I have for leg or body wax.

2 cups sugar
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup water.

Mix together and cook over med high heat for about 10-15 minutes without stirring. Until it reaches 260 degrees or just above soft ball stage. Store in a plastic container in the fridge. When you need it just zap it in the microwave or I always heat in a bit of hot water. Be careful not to get it to hot, this shit could burn. Use old strips of muslin or cotton (old pillowcases work well).

For those of you who have never tried waxing before, dust the area lightly with powder. Apply a thin layer of wax in the direction of hair growth. Then smooth the strip down. Hold skin taut with one hand and quickly pull up strip in the direction of the hair growth. This last part is important. If you don't hold the skin it will pull. Also when removing the strip make sure to pull back and not up! This is the most common mistake that new waxers use, it hurts so most give up. The lady who showed me explained it like this, When you grab the strip to pull back, keep your thumb touching your leg and pull straight back!

For those of you who never wish to try waxing, don't. I won't complain if you don't!

17. wiangube

wiangube Member

Hi nimh,

I guess this is the right place to ask my question. I've been reading all these posts, trying the recipes by myself (including soap, milk, oil, anything you can think of in a shower oil) but still have not been able to 'replicate' my fav oil:

sabonnyc.blogspot.com

What can I be missing?