Reasons why I don't go barefooting

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by NatureDude, Sep 4, 2013.

1. NatureDude

NatureDude Member

1- I worry about hazards and possibility of contracting a disease
    2- People will think I'm weird and I may get looks, same reason why I don't go topless in public
    3- City ground is dirty and the feet will turn black on the soles

Yet frustratingly, I wanna do it. I was thinking I may go barefooting in the parks (hopefully no syringes in the grass) and my university. If you could suggest some places that would be great.

2. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I went bear foot a couple of times last Summer...Just to the local supermarket.It felt really liberating but my feet got really sore.But I haven't had the courage to do it again,partly for the reasons you have mentioned above.I still take my shoes and socks off if I'm in a park though.I love the feel of the grass on my bare feet.

3. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

1. Watch your step and minimize your chances of getting hurt.
    2. You are weird, just like everybody else. Who cares?
    3. When you come home after barefooting it up in the city, step into your shower and use water to get the dirt off your feet. Good as new!

4. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

At The Risk Of Sounding Somewhat Harsh, May I Suggest

You Grow Yourself A Set Of Testicles...:eek:.

I Have Been A Fulltime Barefooter For Just Over 7 Years, Whilst Living

On A Farm With All The Risks That Go Along With That...:).

My Advice To You, Is, Stop Talking About It, And Just Do It...:).

I Wish You Well...:).

Cheers Glen.

5. Christ, he's RIGHT! He DOES worry about possibilities; people WILL think he's weird, and they WILL stare (people WILL get up his ass); city ground can be GODDAM dirty, and his soles WILL turn all shades of filth. Jesus, Glen, wake up and SMELL THE GARBAGE!

On the other hand, if he DOESN'T worry, going barefoot IS totally awesome!
    :2thumbsup:

6. hillman30

hillman30 Member

Theres usuallyno one to watch in parking garages. that's probably the best bet.

7. Tech Mo

Tech Mo Member

Secret barefoot walker!

8. quodlibet

quodlibet Member

Everybody else! Anyone who says they don't care at all (at all, note) about what other people might think isn't telling the truth. But that's okay. And for some, the intensity of the drive to go barefoot can overcome those sorts of trepidations, and make them deal-able with. But the urge to go shoeless and sockless where most people don't has to be very, very strong (and an urge of that kind of intensity is something quite curious in itself). I don't go barefoot in public, outside of the beach or the swimming pool, because any casual urge to do so (and it would only ever be a casual urge, with me) would be far weaker than the urge not to stand-out from the crowd everywhere I went. I'm not happy in any kind of spotlight, and the confrontational aspects that would no doubt arise from time-to-time would wear me down quickly. Also the idea of some kind of foot covering (I live in the often cold and often wet and often litter - glass, dog mess - strewn streets of Britain!) just makes plainer sense to me.

The best of luck to those who want very badly to go barefoot where it isn't the norm, and I hope any opposition you face doesn't dispirit you too much.

9. Shakti_Om

Shakti_Om Local Pixie

Gee you're a ray of sunshine :rolleyes:

I'm of the minority that loves to be different, aside from the mainstream and against the grain. I'm just one big Fk-you to 'reasonable, sensible' society. It's people with hang-ups that create hang-ups. Go barefoot, don't go barefoot..whatever.

Sx

10. quodlibet

quodlibet Member

I don't think you'll find anyone who doesn't believe they aren't different or aside from the mainstream in some way or another. The belief that you belong to a particular, exclusive minority in some area of life is itself quite common and 'mainstream,' I would think. A sense of individuality is important to practically everyone, there can be little doubt about it. And also, the urge to conform, when and where that's appropriate!

11. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

We might all care to some extent what people think, or at least, certain people. That doesn't mean you should express yourself or act in a certain way according to the expectations of other people. Anyone whose opinion is worth caring about, will not judge you on arbitrary things like barefootedness, hairstyle, tattoos, clothes, etc.

12. Shakti_Om

Shakti_Om Local Pixie

I agree.
    On reflection maybe I care about the opinions of others and their reaction.

A submissive conformity was and is never my style....but being barefoot is just without shoes. It's not about subscribing to an agenda it's just a choice, much like leaving home without a hat.

I don't experience anti-barefoot comments/behavior, sometimes comments about being a traveller or having dreadlocks, but not barefeet either at work or in my social life. Maybe that's why I still don't get the big deal :)

Reasons for not going barefoot..I don't want to be sat as an old woman looking out of a lonely window just wishing I'd lived my life my way :sunny: