Real punk music fans out there!?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Takemenow, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

Well. i am a huge punk fan. its a big part of my circle of firends and life in genral. but alas... i have met a boy that i plan to spend a good portion of the rest of my life with that just isnt into it... any ideas how i can brian wash him into likeing in just a lill..lol in a really sneeky way.

2. TheSkaEffect

TheSkaEffect Member

Hmmm, if he has any interest in reggae or stuff like that you could always get him into ska...

3. boog

boog A square peg

hmmm maybe your just not compatabile then??

4. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

we are compatabile in everythink but music

5. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

then get over it, and take him for who he is. if he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it. it's very hard to change people's minds about things. i've actually read that there is a chemical in your brain that pretty much engraves that belief or thought into your head, and it's near impossible for someone to make you change your mind about it. it'd be like him trying to get you to give up punk music completely and get into folk music.

6. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

lol well....everyone takes this so seriously. u really think im gonna ditch the guy cuz he dosent like my music. like really give me a break.. some types of music grow on people. i was looking for suggestions of stuff that might get him into being able to enjoy it and if he dosent then oh well. im not trying to change anything..notice the laughing in the post. i was being teasing.

7. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

their is not such thing as punk music just hardcore

8. drbeaker

drbeaker Member

I used to be real into the punk scene, I've kind of drifted away from it mainly because the people in it are just not very nice especially compared to the jamband/neo-hippie scene but there's still many bands that came out of punk that I absolutely love. I recommend starting with punk bands who are particularly melodic or who borrow from other styles instead of just being flat out screaming at full throttle all the time, or if he's a folkie or some other type really into lyrics, just play him something with particularly great lyrics (give him the lyric sheet, sometimes the vocals are quite hard to understand if you don't know them beforehand). I recommend The Clash, Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys (especially if he's real political and into clever lyrics), Bad Brains (especially if he's a reggae fan), The Ramones, Operation Ivy, Flogging Molly (especially if he's a folk music fan), etc.

9. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

Ya he read the lyircs for sorrow by bad religion yesterday...words are good just not into the music. hes a hendrix fan to the bone.... its sad u got out of the sceen cuz u think the people arnt nice..i think that chages from place to place cuz i have met mostly amazing people trough it...,maybe a lill drunk at timesbut still great people

10. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Get him listening to The Ramones, even if he doesn't like punk in general he can't but help like The Ramones, or The Jam or The Clash either.

11. boog

boog A square peg

try maybe some Subhumans they seem quite accesable
    or The Cramps if they fit with you def of punk. cos there real good :)

12. drbeaker

drbeaker Member

I still go to shows from time to time, if its a band I really want to see but i don't just show up to random shows or hang out on st marks place much anymore. People made me feel very unwelcome showing up to the dropkick murphys in a tie-dye and long hair whereas I know that a punk with a sex pistols t-shirt and mohawk would not get that same treatment at a phish concert, just to give an example. Don't get me wrong, I met some really cool people in the long island and nyc punk/ska scene too, and got turned onto some great bands I would've never heard of otherwise. I started getting sick of most of the music as the divide between "real" punk and "pop-punk" grew wider and wider with pop-punk simply becoming fast-paced bubblegum (the logical conclusion of which is Avril Levigne, YUCK!) and so-called "real" punk deevolving into amelodic drivel that seemed to almost be bad on purpose so as to make sure it was never mistaken for pop-punk.

Besides that, I also got bored with punk as a musician. I played in a punk rock band in high school and loved it because I was just learning guitar and I could already play all the chords necessary for punk. Once I started learning more and more of the guitar I got sick of just playing the same 3 or 4 chords over and over and started getting interested in music that allowed the guitar to stretch out and express itself more like jazz, bluegrass, "jambands", etc.

Another factor was that I realized that a lot of punk rock for me was simply dwelling on my anger at the world, which I decided wasn't a very healthy way to live. The reasons (social and political) for my anger still stand, and I still try to express my feelings in that regard through my music, but I've just learned not to dwell on my anger all the time.

Maybe that's not what punk is about for you, i'm sure it means many different things to many people, but for me it was something I related to more as an alienated 14 year old growing up in boring yuppie-ass long island then I do now at 20 years old.

13. Takemenow

Takemenow Senior Member

i think its just diffrent here...cuz look at me im a preppy white chick and one of my best friends has the crazist tri hawk and the look of him scares lill children.... do i can tell u if u came to a murphys show with us ud have blast!

14. wiufcaoltp

wiufcaoltp Welcome To The Interzone

Well, maybe you should play him Marquee Moon by Television, which certainly isn't pure punk rock, but it might be a good stepping stone. I think it's better than very nearly all punk albums, and it might be the most approachable for a Hendrix fan because while the basis of the music is rooted in punk/garage rock, the album has a poetic and post-modern sheen to it. Plus, the guitar interplay, which comes off like a flurry of punk riffs seamlessly integrated with soaring new-wave guitar solos would be easier for someone to get into who had previously been listening to Jimi.

But if you haven't heard it, it doesn't really sound like "punk", though this was one of the bands most responsible for the start of the original scene.

15. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

dead kennedys, bad brains, crass, subhumans, vice squad, gbh, bad religon, buzzcocks, misfits, suicidal tendencies, the ramones, action pact, descendents.... i could honestly list over 100 punk bands i like... i LVOE old school punk. people used to call me a punk. i hang out with the punks at my school. sorry to use stereotypical words, just a way to say stuff.

16. deathschmelda

deathschmelda Member

the band that got me into it was Aus-rotten, and then i also liked black flag, anti flag, oxymoron, and the unseen. but nowadays i'm more into trance and ect.

17. Sunny Afternoon

Sunny Afternoon Member

My friend was talking to some 'punk rocker' in the pub Tuesday before last.. apparently punks aren't big fans of hippies, which is something I never knew. o_O

I dunno how to help you there, I tried to introduce my ex to punk but he only liked one or two songs by The Clash.. that was it. :/

18. ganja fairy

ganja fairy Member

me ranting about punk:

i used to worship all things punk, but when i took a look around i realized that most punks seem to be using it as a form of escapism and an escuse to hate. i still love punk music, (even though they hate on hippies. download 'granola head' by the queers! i love the song even though its totally making fun of me) but i wish more people would make it way to connect with other people, rather than turn the whole deal into an elitist subculture. not to pick on punks, i think a lot of hippies(or insert any other label) are the same way. "this is what we do, and we are the coolest and you suck, hate, hate, hate"

fuck that shit! i say, music is awesome, and if youre going to use it to escape, then escape to the place in existance where we are all one.

operation ivy knew whats up:

sound system gunna bring me back up
    one thing that i can depend on

try to describe it to the limit of my ability
    its there for a second then its given up what it used to be
    contained in music somehow more than just sound
    its inspiration coming and twisting things around

but you always know that its gunna have to go
    you always know that youll be back in the cold
    point of departure sublimated in a song
    always coming to give you that hope for just a second, then its gone but

static pulse inside of music bringing us escape!
    its always temporary, leaving nothing in its wake
    just a second where were leaving all this shit behind,
    just a second but its leaving just this much in mind:

to resist despair! that second makes you see
    to resist despair! cuz you cant change anything
    to resist despair in this world is what it is, what it is what it is to be free!

sound system gunna bring me back up!

download that one (sound system) and unity. actually, if youre taking my advice, just go buy their album, cuz its all good.

19. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

oh ya! my old pnks friends think it's wierd that imma hippy. but whatever. i've ALWAYS been a hippy inside, i knew since i was little, and other people knew this too! anyways, ya, alot of punks dont like me... well, they like me a little less then other people