Real Astrology

Discussion in 'Astrology' started by Enlil6, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Enlil6

Enlil6 Member

No don't worry this isn't a "my astrology is better than yours" post.

One thing I have noticed here, and many boards who cater to non-professional astrologers, is the tendency to simplify astrology to a degree where it's almost meaningless.

Now I understand that to many people astrology is a game. It's something that is a diversion to some and makes others feel superficially special. I can't necessarily blame most people since astrology isn't taken seriously in our society.

There are some of us on the board - at least myself and Trekker (maybe more) who are professionals. I live with this every day. I take it seriously enough to pay a lot of money for difficult to find books and professional software.

I'm saying this because I approach astrology with a lot of experience and introspection over a long period of time. I don't claim to be right all the time, and sometimes I screw up. However, everyone needs to know that no experienced astrologer, modern or traditional, Vedic or Chinese, believes that one can divine the health of a relationship, one's appearance, one's career, or one's likelihood of having children from just a Sun sign or ascendant sign.

A sign acts as a modifier. Sure a sign can indicate a lot of things, but at the end of the day, the most important elements on a chart are planets. Period. There is a slight difference in modern and traditional astrology as to the relationship between signs and planets, but basically the point stands.

When I do a natal chart, the first thing I do is look at the ascendant. Then I look at the ruler(s) of the ascendant. I look at which house that ruler is in. I look at the sign it's in. Maybe some astrologers do this with Sun signs - checking on the ruler of the sign the Sun is in. Regardless the idea is basically the same.

A recent thread about appearance was like this. The question was how a Sun sign affects appearance. Now in my tradition, the answer is not at all. However even if you DID think the Sun sign affected appearance, there are a zillion other factors. Otherwise we'd only have 12 types of people.

Just something to chew on.