Reagan and his racist joke to Nixon

Discussion in 'History' started by EricForman, Jul 31, 2019.

1. EricForman

EricForman Mellow Fellow & Jedi Knight

Somehow I was not at all surprised to learn this. The joke was about a black delegation from Tanzania in Africa. Reagan referred to them as "monkeys who were uncomfortable wearing shoes". Heck Nixon who was a racist and also an anti-semite called them "cannibals". (It wasn't alright when they did it and it isn't alright when the current president does it either).

The sources were Huffington Post, Atlantic magazine, and a few other news sites.

2. Both are ignorant

3. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Members

Yeah there’s no justification for that behavior. Like when Senator Robert Byrd talked about “n*ggers” on live television in ‘92 or when Hillary Clinton called minorities “super-predators” in 1996.

Well, Byrd was a klansman so no surprise there, but Hillary?

4. Hillary, I’d love to arm wrestle her

5. But fortunately I can’t get too close to politics. Disgusting

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

It isnt alright when the current President does what exactly? Makes racist jokes?

We are seriously not going to try link this to Trump, the guy that just stuck his neck out diplomatically to try get A$AP released

In fact since the incident happened four decades ago, I am sceptical why this is brought up now, even if it is in the history forum, could have done without that sentence if you wanted others to believe its to be a history discussion

Mustard Tiger likes this.
  7. I don’t think Trump is racist. He is as racist as Rosanne

8. Visexual

Visexual Member

Ronald Reagan was just a third rate actor until he found out that political acting was easier. He was the reason I left the GOP. Just like Trump does, he used the religious right to his own advantage. I hated it that he managed to redefine 'conservative' to mean religious.

Bicaptain My Captain likes this.
  9. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Intriguing isn't it - all three Presidents or former Presidents quoted here and are alleged to have made 'racist' comments are Republicans - make of that what you will.

granite45 likes this.
  10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I can't find the Byrd quote in '92, although he certainly was a racist.
    Although he did say, "I've seen a lot of white n*ggers in my time." in 2001.

Clinton never called minorities "super-predators".
    She said some juvenile gang members are called superpredators. She never referred to minorities in her 1996 speech in New Hampshire.

11. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Members

Yep I had the year wrong with Byrd. I was going from memory,

As to Hillary, she was talking about gangs working for cartels. She wasn’t referring to white kids. She was primarily referring to Hispanics. I’m surrounded by Hispanic gangs here in Southern California (married into an immigrant family). The gangs sell drugs for the cartels which control almost all of the drug trade here. When I lived in NH, where Hillary gave her speech, the state and federal gov’t set up a task force to deal with cartels creating trade routes from NY through MA up into NH and establishing their base of operations in Manchester to distribute drugs through NH and Maine. They were targeting Hispanic gangs, primarily Latin Kings and MS-13. When she referred to juvenile gangs working for the cartels, it’s pretty obvious who she was referring to.

12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

So not minorities as a whole as you put it at first. But gang members that happen to be from a certain minority (are hispanics still a minority btw? :p). Thanks for playing.

MeAgain likes this.
  13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

One thing is certain: he's a dubious opportunist and populist.

parua likes this.
  14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Yes, I agree, taking her speech in context and its entirety it's obvious Hillary was referring to children who work for cartels, not all children of any one particular race or ethnicity.

15. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I just saw that on CNN this morning. Apparently, Reagan wasn't typically like that. He was very conscientious toward issues of race and ethnicity. They had a Reagan expert on who said that in fact Reagan was anti-racism. He gave several terrific examples of Reagan standing up for racial equity.

srgreene and Asmodean like this.
  16. He was a racist.

17. srgreene

srgreene Members

What did you learn? Are you referring to something Trump said? If so, what?

18. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Most white people of a certain generation are racist. They simply will not see their views as racist. They see it as the world they grew up in. What we define as racism has really changed as well. In 1955 is that even a word? Regan is from that time.

I think this is the heart of GOP thinking. Deep down they truly think they are good and nice people and deeply resent people who say they are not. They are nice to white people. I deal with this with my own grandfather. Very nice and helpful man to white kids. Then he rants about the black nurse who lives next door snuck into the country from Africa and uses his taxes to get a new car.

19. srgreene

srgreene Members

What is a racist?