Rare 60's-70's Psychedelia Anyone?

Discussion in 'Psychedelic and Garage' started by pyroloser, Sep 24, 2005.

1. vinylfling

vinylfling Member

Just read your request for rare psych LP's.
    Can't say I own many of the ones you've suggested, just Tomorrow and Forever Amber but I can make a few suggestions based on some of the rare/obscure LP's I like.

I would suggest you check out some of the following UKLP's, I think most are available as re-issues which make them musch easrier (and cheaper!) to track down.

Pussy - Pussy Plays - UK 1969 Morgan Blue Town - A great psych/prog crossover LP, just check out "We built the sun"

Magic Mixture - This Is Magic Mixture - UK 1968 Saga - Heavier/Beatier UK Psych with a more Garage feel. All tracks, bar one, good. try "moonbeams"

Family - Music In A Dolls House - UK 1968 Reprise, not rare but originals hard to locate, good stuff.

Dark - Round The Edges - Horrendously rare and expensive UK Private but fortunately re-issued, this is heavy prog with great fuzz guitar and genuinely awesome, try "Zero Time"

Open Mind - The Open Mind UK 1969 Phillips - Fantastic UK Heavy Prog/Psych crossover LP.

Andromeda - Andromeda 1969 UK Rca - One of my favourites, heavy prog/psych LP with a couple of nice mellow tracks.

July - July UK 1968 Major Minor - One of the UK's legendary psych LP's, try "Dandelion Seeds" and "Crying Is For Writers"

And if you like mellow psych/folk stuff try Ithaca - A Game for all who know and Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs or for a real weard hipply folk/psych/prog crossover try Moonkyte - Count Me Out and try "Way Out Hernit" and "Blues for Boddecea"

Good luck tracking these fellah's down and hope you enjoy them, could suggest others but could go on a long time, try these first!

myndtyme likes this.
  2. tfcbrian

tfcbrian Member

Vinylfling is right

Andromeda/Andromeda is a great album and if you like that check out both lps by Hard Stuff ..all good

3. Unkle_John

Unkle_John Member

A few other albums to scour for are (Artist then Album name)

The Golden Dawm ~ Power Plant
    Yellow Payges ~ Yellow Payges
    Fate ~ Sgt. Death
    Peacepipe ~ Peacepipe (AKA John Uzonyi's Peacepipe)
    Flatlanders ~ (any album you can find)
    Shiva's Headband ~ (any album you can find)
    Bubble Puppy ~ Hot Smoke and Sassafras

myndtyme likes this.
  4. Ranchero

Ranchero Member

the tea company-come and have some tea with the tea company
    the west coast pop art experimental band-a childs guide to good and evil

5. piperatthegate

piperatthegate Member

The Idle Race
    The Merry Go Round ^^
    Nirvana [uk] (not that stupid band of stupid kurt cubain... sorry for the ones who like it... but i hate it... )
    Kaleidoscope (both us and uk bands)
    and the Fox

6. yamamamo

yamamamo Member

Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
    - Beeside

British 60s psychedelia, they have a myspace profile if you want to hear them. They also have lots of rare 60s bands as their friends that are worth checking out.

7. KasabianRulesMan!

KasabianRulesMan! Member

i heard a lot Blood Sweat & Tears 1st album from1968...
    I know it s not rare at all ... this was a US top 5 album ...
    Its just that if american often knows this psych pop classic-
    european often dont know them...

oh damn ive got to leave i will be back with a few name of real rare stuff

in fact in people interessed in Blood sweat ... this is their only classiclp the
    rest is not as psyche & not of that level... cause it s what happen when 7members fired the leader after just 1 album... they were stupid or what :H

8. Mouse47

Mouse47 Member

Just found this forum. If you're wanting to just find the music (not actually into looking for the vinyl copies), join Usenet. Subscribe to the 60's and 70's mp3 newsgroups. At least half of the albums listed in this forum have been available there in the last 6 months in mp3.

9. ratsinthewall

ratsinthewall Member

these arent really rare i don't think but they are also not huuuge albums, er werent huge albums. and they are great

cactus- cactus
    (restrictions and one way or another... are also great)
    captain beyond - captain beyond
    The Seeds - the seeds
    iron butterfly - heavy
    armageddon - armegeddon
    and check out the psychedlic soul band Undisputed Truth if you're into stuff like funkadelic and the psychedelic tunes The Temptations did and music of that nuture.

10. Freekske

Freekske Member

children - rebirth

11. maryjanegirl_2005

maryjanegirl_2005 Controlled Chaos

This 1 is extremely rare...Harlow Wilcox & The Oakies - Grubworm..My dad has the 45..It's so cool.

12. stonedmonkiwana

stonedmonkiwana K9 Handler

I have to agree w/ Maryjane... That is a good one. I wanna hear it now, but can't find it :-(

13. markymarkg93

markymarkg93 Guest

14. Eon

Eon Member

Original Acid Dreams LP compilation of 1960s Acid Punk. Only 77 LPs pressed originally but since then it's been reissued a few years ago on CD.

15. baggra

baggra Members

In early 70s Ireland & England if you wanted to avoid the Purchase Tax you would press under 100 records.
    These private press records were mainly folk/folkrock.
    When prog (there was no psych in the true US form) it would mostly be a folk-tinged prog.
    At least 50 different bands/artists made it to this sort of private press.

Few of the "proggier" ones:

Alice Thru The Looking Glass

Ithaca

Complex

Havenstreet

Soft Shoe

Agincourt

16. Goldtimer

Goldtimer Members

Ram- Where ( in conclusion )

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019