ramen noodles

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by minjeig, May 29, 2004.

1. minjeig

minjeig Member

There was a post on here, I think it was in the old forums, but it was to do with ramen noodles having animal products in them. I'm ultra confused because from what I gather, Mr Noodles are ramen noodles, and in the ingredients it doesn't list anything animal-tastic (as far as I could see). Am I remembering the post wrong, or can I eat ramen noodles?

2. SweeperOfDreams13

SweeperOfDreams13 Member

Methinks that the broth is beef or chicken based.

3. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

Just check the label... chances are they have eggs, a lot of noodles I've seen have eggs in them...

Oooh yeah, and look at the flavouring, since they often make the noodles themselves vegan, but then add some kind of chicken/beef/pork/shrimp/whichever flavouring to the little bag you're supposed to put in after you've cooked the noodles. I think they have something like "chicken powder" or "pork powder" in the little sachets of flavouring... I'm not sure though... hey, I'll check at the supermarket tomorrow :D

4. seabass42003

seabass42003 Member

the noodles friggen suck

5. minjeig

minjeig Member

thanks very much :)

its sad really, i know mr noodles will eventually give me worms, but its just so addictive!!

6. ericf

ericf Member

Ah, ramen noodles are my secret sin. ;)

They are so bad for you that eating packing-foam might possibly be better. They have trans-fat in the noodles (at least the ones I buy and the one in front of me right now). And there is animal product in the "seasoning" mix.

But most of my college cooking experience involved them in some manner. Drain them, toss in cooked veggies, add packet, mix and eat. Horrible for you but cheap enough that you can eat for a week AND buy beer on a budget of $10. It helps if you can steal a couple multi-vitamins from someone -- just to keep your heart from going on strike. Ah, the abuses we put these bags of flesh through. :p

7. scrap_rat

scrap_rat Member

And they have enough sodium that drinking sea water is almost comparable... But yeah, I recall the seasonings do have (dead) animal parts (not just eggs and dairy) in them.

8. indigorainhemp

indigorainhemp Member

Yeah I get bloated after I eat them!
    I wonder about the Yaki Soba noodles? The ones kinda like ramen but in the fridge section?? Those are really good as stir fry!

9. jendi17

jendi17 Member

I'm pretty sure Ramen Noodles have animal products in them becasue I think the noodles themselves have eggs in them and that little packet of flavoring or whatever it is, is some kind of meat flavor like chicken, beef or whatever.

10. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I used to eat ramen noodles regularly for lunch (They're quite popular in Japan), but I've all but stopped eating them when I decided to cut fish from my diet. It also occured to me the ramen noodles I were eating probably had animal products.

11. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

please read my profile. how dare you.

12. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

lol no no theyre really good but i dont eat any of them except for oriental, i check the label every time i eat them, no animals in there!