Raising a barefoot child

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by barefootconservative, Apr 8, 2018.

1. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

EXPECT ANYTHING. several weeks ago a coworkers related that his 2 year old was at daycare, walked up to teacher, reached inside the back of his shorts and brought out a handful of poop and showed it off. LOL
    another thing, do no over react. somethings you have to let slide and kinda approach it like you would an adult reasoning with careful explanation because if you overreact then the kid will know what buttons to push obviously unless it is life and death situation.

as far as barefooting, if he wants to let him. if not, don't push it, but if he see y'all barefoot all the time then it will be second nature.
    my hats off to you and your friends (brothers), y'all are exceptional young men.

2. hippyphile

hippyphile Member

cincinnati-old-main-library-8.jpg
    Children enjoying some time with high-tech entertainment at the Cincinnati library, c. 1912. Back when barefoot children were the norm, starting around May 1, every year, rain or shine. Note the hats.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  3. barefootconservative

barefootconservative Barefoot for God

Cristoforo (my nephew) moves in with us this weekend. We'll try and figure this whole thing out when he does

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'm starting to doubt your stories, only because all the names are so fucking out there. do you not know a single steve?

5. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I'm guessing he is Italian

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

but he lives in idaho. even if he's italian, why are all his friends also italian?

actually that's kind of a stupid question; italians do tend to be ridiculously racist. i live in a heavily italian area, and you really do need to be italian yourself to have any chance of being taken seriously around here. and i've had italian friends in the past, but they always were a little cold to everyone else who wasn't also italian. i don't know what goes on over in italy to cause this.

7. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Oh. Maybe he's a character in a soap opera then.

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i like this answer and it will be what i assume about OP for the rest of his time here.

fatelvis and Noserider like this.
  9. Lovelane

Lovelane Members

It's so nice of you to take in the kid, but I would do the same if I was you. You guys are such a strong family. Btw, barefoot is actually a nice thing, I used to wear shoes only when I was outside until 25 years old! I don't even wear socks at home.

10. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

If this all is true, problably it would be better to think how both your sis as your mom can become familiar with contraception methods now than to think about if you should encourage your nephew to go barefoot to school in five years.

I also wonder what does the youth welfare office say. At least where I live, all minor mothers get a youth welfare supervision and if you like to give the kid in other’s hands, you need an approval and the foster parents need a permit.

11. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

That's an interesting picture from the Cincinnati library. I wonder if those boys were street urchins, or if it was the custom for every child (except rich ones, I'd bet) to be barefoot in summer. Or just the boys, and not girls? I've seen pictures of people on beaches around that time, and everyone had high-coverage swimsuits, but the women had to have stockings on, while the men were barefoot. And I see one boy is black and one white. Was that liberal subversion by the photographer?

In 'Tom Sawyer', Huckleberry Finn was a wild boy whose father was the town drunk. He "was always the first boy that went barefoot in the spring and the last to resume leather in the fall", so there evidently the boys all went barefoot in summer, but the wilder the kid, the less he'd wear shoes.

12. hippyphile

hippyphile Member

Given there was no permanent press and whatever adventures and hi jinks they had been into that day, the kids look pretty much together and well dressed. A real urchin wouldn't have had a bath in weeks. Some of them may have belonged to the staff. It does look just a little bit staged. My mother grew up in the 30s and she said she went barefoot all summer. Stepped on a bee once. She never forgot it. I don't think it was any different twenty years or a hundred years earlier. Just the norm back then. Stayed the same until about the 1980s-early 90s, depending on where one lived.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  13. Amontillado

Here's one for you, Pixy. I don't know how Grandfather got along with the child welfare department:
    Clipboard01.jpg

Caption: "Aunt Dete hurrying away after leaving Heidi with Uncle-Alp".

Attached Files:

14. Amontillado

Here's one for you, Pixy. I don't know how Grandfather got along with the child welfare department!

Caption: "Aunt Dete hurrying away after leaving Heidi with Uncle-Alp".
    h.jpg

15. barefootconservative

We're part Italian, what do you expect?

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^ i don't know, like i said before, i've known a lot of italians. and i don't think any of them had unusual names, at least first names anyway.

17. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Haha, great! But i didn't refer to barefooting (i think it's great and healty for kids), but to the fact a juvenile girl of 15 becomes mother and gives the child to another adolecent of 17.

18. barefootconservative

No, I did know a few who were named Tony (Antonio), and Cristoforo is probably going to be called Cris.

19. barefootconservative

I'm almost 19