Radish greens

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by daisymae, Jun 26, 2006.

1. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Does anyone here eat them? How are they?

I was looking at my garden today and thinking "why the hell am I throwing away 90% of that plant?" :p

I ask because they have little spikeys that sting my fingers and I am not too sure about swallowing that...

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

funny you should ask. i havent tried them, but i was talking to a guy the other day who told me that he grows radishes strictly for the greens, he doesnt eat the radish. who knew?

re the spikeys, i bet that with a bit of light steam they'd shrivel away. i'm thinking about the way that pple eat nettle~the same technique would prolly work.

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

oh, and on the same note, there are probably lots of greens that are edible that pple throw away. i know that broccoli leaves are a lot more nutritious than some of the other greens like spinach. and a lot of the so-called weeds that pple remove from their gardens are also edible. i guess the trick is to be able to identify them, and to know when they're tastiest.

4. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Well then, I will try them and let you know how it goes..:p

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i tried a little bite this eve (didnt want to push my luck with too much, just had mouth surgery). they're sort of like fancy lettuces. would work well in salad, pokey bits dont seem to really be a problem.

6. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Awesome! I ate them for lunch.

I just sliced up a bunch of radishes, a couple of green onions and sauteed them in a bit of margarine. Them added the greens and steamed them a bit....seasoned with a little garlic powder and salt.

I had read a couple of blurbs about them being high in iron, which I am always low on, so now I have a new source...