racism and the force

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by thepixies, May 11, 2004.

1. thepixies

thepixies Member

i always new lost of the police were racist but i was watching this programme a few days ago, abotu this reporter who joined the force. and i was really disturbed about how racist the police are; it could only have been this force or could be every police force i dont know but i was saddening to see them saying "the next paki i see im gonna fucking nut the bastard!" and giving a £200 ticket to an asian student on a scooter for no reason and laughing when they saw tears in hius eyes.

2. thepixies

thepixies Member

oh and that meant to say in between the racism and the force

3. ShrOomie

ShrOomie Member

i odnt think it's all police but just some that let the whole system down

4. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

sometimes, you gotta hate america. :(

5. ShrOomie

ShrOomie Member

well its england to not just america well i suppose all around the world basicly

6. thepixies

thepixies Member

it was in england

7. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I've moved this thread to the UK Forum. ThePixies, why don't you come and join us over there, we have a wonderful little community, very close and friendly....

8. Peace-Phoenix

There is a lot of institutionalised racism within the police force. This is evident and well documented. In protest ethnic minority officers have called for a boycott of the MET by other ethnic minority recruits. I think this would be counter-productive though. We need to tackle institutionalised racism within the police force on all fronts, from the ground up. The administration should make moves to crack down on it, and more ethnic minorities should join up....

9. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

thepixes, didn't you used to be like 18? now it says you're 13.

10. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

at first i thought you meant that the Jedi's were racist, and i got really confused.:eek:

11. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

The Metropolitan Police recently announced that they would be 'fast tracking' people from ethnic groups to join the police to try and balance the shortage.

But is 'positive discrimination' not racist too?

Is it really fair that favouritism should be given to someone because of the colour of their skin regardless of how well they do the job?

Can you beat racism with more racism or will this just breed contempt?

12. Enonemouse

Enonemouse Happy Wanderer

Amen Paul

There is so much of the man trying not to look racist that they are going too far the other way now. If you are a white hetrosexual English male in this country you haven't got a snowballs chance in hell of getting most jobs. Now on the other hand. An Asian lesbian woman with a handicap of some sort can have any job they want. Hell they fill in sooooo many of the little ticky boxes. I think all jobs should be given on the grounds of ability and qualifications held that are required not sexual prefrence, colour or race. I am waiting for the day someone gets sued for not hiring a blind taxi driver because they have been discriminated against. I know it sounds silly but thats the way I see things going.

Police officers should be police officers because they can do the job correctly and will be good officers not because there is a short fall of Asians in the force.

I agree the officers in question should all be given the sack and taken to court for what they have done. No one should be given a ticket for being Asian or white or black or what ever there should be a real reason behind it. I do know of forces where they are not allowed to arrest unless they are 100% sure they will get a conviction anyone who is Asian because of this, which again brings me back to the start. Everyone should be treated equal no one should be treated special just because they are of a certain race.

The world needs equality not elitism!!!!!!!

Love & Opinions
    EnonEmouse
    *Gets off soap box now and slowly backs away*

13. stardust

stardust Banned

its not just rasicm though, there is a lot of predudice in the police towards gays, travellers and any other minority groups you care to think of. anyone who's not straight white and middle class is fair game to them.

and it sucks.

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

14. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

Sometimes the police won't like you just because of the car you drive or the clothes you wear. The unfortunate thing is that the police are a necessary evil, it also happens to attract a lot of people who are the least suited to the job.

I love this quote from the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, sort of relevent:

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job "

15. Peace-Phoenix

Enonemouse, I don't think that's quite true. Hiring is still based on qualifications, they would only pick an ethnic minority in the case that two individuals were equal in order to readdress the balance. If these checks weren't in place, then you would only end up excentuating the existing racism within society. Aferall, white people are more likely to have received better educational qualifications. I don't think there's much cause to feel discriminated against for being a white male in this country. I don't think that any kind of discrimination is good. But at the moment things are very unbalanced against ethnic minorities, and positive discrimination may be the only way to readdress the balance....

16. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Reluctantly, I have to agree that positive discrimination is a bad thing. When you apply for a job, it should be on an equal footing.

Yes, there is an imbalance in terms of representation of minorities, but this needs to be redressed by making sure that applicants are treated fairly - not by implementing inverse prejudice.

Also, it's misleading to suggest that positive discrimination is just about giving preference when there's a choice between two equally qualified people. A lot of positive discrimination revolves around targets, and how can targets be achieved if there are not an appropriate number of ethnic applicants? By definition, the jobs may well go to less qualified applicants.

I approve of the goal of positive discrimination, but I think it's an unfair way of trying to achieve that goal.

17. Peace-Phoenix

That's probably a more sobre assessment Dok. It just upsets me when white people complain about being racially discriminated against in this country, when most have never experienced racism in the same way that I have. It's very hurtful....

18. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Yeah, with you all the way on that one dude. It's very easy for white people to lack any real understanding of what racism actually involves. Hell, you know my opinions on that front. Think I've been pretty outspoken!

I'm all for redressing the balance though - I just think there's better ways of doing it.

19. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

While I sympathise with that statement I'd like to recount the experience of a friend a few years back. He was walking through a park near me and attacked by a gang of Asian youths. They beat him and robbed him, called him a white shit and other words to that effect. I recounted the story to an Asian bloke I was at college with at the time and his words were "Serves him right for going into an Asian park then doesn't it?"

20. Peace-Phoenix

It does happen, and it's just as wrong as when it's in the reverse. I would never argue otherwise. I hate all forms of discrimination. But I'm not talking about on a personal basis. I'm talking about discrimination ingrained into society from the top down and perpetuated by the institutions of state and by the market....