quitting smoking...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by mynameiskc, May 23, 2004.

1. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

such a stupid habit to have, not worth the money, makes me feel like garbage. i don't really even know how i got into it. i didn't start smoking until i was 25, and the i quit for 2 years. how'd i end up a smoker?

anyway, when i had to decide between buying my baby milk and eggs or buying cigarettes (we're broke this week but a huge bill is paid off), i made myself sick. that's some fucked up shit. so the smokes are out, and kai's having her milk and eggs, as well as some really tasty fruit from the farmer's market. they've got the best food!! i love summertime.

however, not smoking is making me really high. is that normal?

2. Dustinthewind

Dustinthewind woopdee fucking doo

I dont know if feeling "high" is normal or not KC. It makes sense in a way i would spose, maybe its a feeling of withdrawl?

I need to quit smoking too! It is getting more and more expensive, and its just going to get worse.

are you just doing it "cold turkey?"

3. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I went through about 2 weeks of hell to quit, just being super irritable and saying things like "the fucking sun is too bright." After about 3 weeks or a month I felt much better and my lungs had cleared themselves out.

Now I have gradually gotten back into smoking, mainly because my wife is constantly smoking so there are smokes around.

It's definietly a seductive habit, easy to fall into.

I could see how having to choose between smokes and baby items would be kind of depressing. I get tired of the looks some cashiers give when you ask for cigarettes.

PS how much are smokes where you live...they are about 3.10 here.

4. Dustinthewind

$3.10 for which brand??

I smoke Basics which you can get for anywhere from $2.99 to $3.50 pending on which store you are at. The name brands run anywhere from $3.99 to $4.25, these are the prices not including all the tax.

My friend went to New York last year and said cigarettes were something like $7.00 a pack? where is Mr. Pressed when I need him? he would know this.

5. seamonster66

3.10 for Marlboros, Camels, etc.

This isn't an expensive area for anything though.

7 dollars is outrageous, I do remember smokes being expensive in NY, like maybe around 5, but 7 I'd have to quit or grow my own.

6. mynameiskc

they were about 4.50 for camel lights. 4.50 goes a very long way at the farmer's market on a sunday.

i'm quitting cold turkey, no need to complicate things. if i could quit crank and coke with nothing but a coloring book and some crayons, i can do this. i've got plenty of V8 to help me through.

but i swear to god, i feel totally stoned. i have no vehicle this week, it's getting worked on, but maybe that's for the best. i don't think i could drive.

7. Dustinthewind

Good luck KC. I kicked Crank which wasnt too hard, since it was either my kids or the drug. had my priorities straight, but for some reason giving up my smokes is just hella hard.

I think its because I dont want to quit, but then again when I do smoke i only smoke like half the cigarette and put it out.

I should try and quit too.

8. thisismike

thisismike Overlooked/Uninvited

KC, thats awesome. Hang in there!

9. seamonster66

The interesting thing about my smoking is that I quit for 3 years, during which time I used every hard drug there is, but never touched a cigarette. After I quit all that shit I gravitated towards smoking again.

With meth it was like quit or become a walking skeleton. I could never eat on that stuff.

10. Dustinthewind

i could eat on that shit, my ex couldnt he was at the point of being a walking skeleton.. damn, i sooooooooo remember smoking like 2 1/2 packs of cigarettes while on that shit, would make me feel hella bad, my lungs would hurt so freakin bad.

11. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

quitting smokings ez, i've did it hundreds of times.

12. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

I've been cigarette free for over 2 years now. I admit that I cheated once while in Ireland, but that was more of a cultural thing than taking up the habit. I wish ya the best of luck on quitting. Remember that the physical addiction only lasts a fwe days. After that, it's all in your head. But you clearly know where your priorities lie and if you keep focussed on that, you should do great.

Some people use gum to take care of the oral fixation, but I used tic-tacs. Worked well for me. As for having something to do with your hands, carry a pencil or pen around with you to hold. That should keep your hands busy for a while. Either that or frequent masturbation, but that might lead up to craving a cigarette, so nevermind.

Mono

13. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I quit last year cold turkey. I had some help with a little bout of appendicitis. Of course, I couldn't smoke in the hospital, and when I got home, I couldn't even sit up in bed, much less drag my ass outside to smoke a cig, with the possibility of coughing and hurting the hell out of my stomach! I've had a few cigs since then, but I haven't had the cravings. I had been smoking for 10 yrs like 1-2 packs a day! You can do it KC!

14. mynameiskc

i'm going to get some cinnamon sticks from my sister in law. she used them to quit, and she'd basically just chew on a stick until it was flavorless. need something to do with my mouth. my mouth has always been my biggest problem. i've only just managed to start losing weight, don't wanna get back up again.but oh my goodness, i actually slur when i speak!

15. mynameiskc

oh! and i had a freaky, semi-panic attack, had to run around the house and close all the doors and windows, including closets. bizarre! i don't like people seeing me fucked up, i think that's what that's about.

16. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

Cigarettes are pretty much the only thing I never smoked.

"I don't smoke and I don't chew and I don't go with girls who do!"

17. mynameiskc

well that was really helpful, olhippie.

18. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

Sorry.......

19. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

yeah... i have no prob with people that smoke other stuff but when people smoke cigarettes it just weirds me out ...

20. mynameiskc

lol. you are forgiven, go and sin no more.