Quitting smoking, and anger/stress issues

Discussion in 'Men's Issues' started by sonnl, Apr 10, 2013.

1. sonnl

sonnl Guest

So I'm trying to quit smoking, finally convinced myself to give a real go of it by bargaining that I'll smoke again after I get into better shape haha. So anyway I smoke a pack or more a day, been a smoker for 13 years (I'm 25), and a heavy smoker the last 5 years. I smoke because of stress, that and I love smoking, but the heavy smoking part comes from an amount of stress that I just don't know how to handle otherwise. This isn't my first time trying to quit either, but every time I do I become such an asshole, I feel like killing someone honestly.

I get that quitting any drug will make you feel like that, but here's my problem.. that's actually how I feel all the time, I'm always pissed off, I hate everyone, and I'm just generally angry, smokings literally the only thing that's kept me from turning homicidal all these years. But while normal people may learn to cope with there issues, I've just been smoking, and now I'm taking that away.

So I don't know what to do, part of me wants to just keep smoking so I don't snap, the other part is curious how far down the rabbit hole I can go.

Wondering if anyone else has ever been in my shoes, not just the quiting smoking thing but having an underlying stress and anger problem.

Btw sorry if this came out somewhat incoherent, this is the longest nicotine has been out of my system since basically puberty haha.

2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

sry sonnl, I got nothing...I sympathize though. I get pretty bad when I don't smoke too.

power to you man

3. meridianwest

meridianwest Senior Member

i don't believe any of this. it's not the smokes that have kept you from killing people. lol. nicotine, or whatever else there is in those things just doesn't have that kind of an effect on a person. if a person really wants to kill someone they do it, smokes or no smokes. i think this is just something you have psychologically conditioned yourself to believe. and upon trying to quit you're reinforcing that idea subconsciously. you're pissed off at something else.

4. kingofthemoon1313

kingofthemoon1313 Member

Anger is a symptom of nicotine withdrawal.

5. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I did it the other way around. Started exercising heavily first, quit smoking second.

6. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

aye, once you start excersizing heavily, you begin to realise how much smoking has fucked you up, and it gives you more incentive to quit. seriously, take up jogging and you'll wanna quit the second you realise you can't get more than few metres without feeling like death.

i decided to quit smoking once i got a bike again, just cos i realised that i couldnt go half as far as i used to be able to before i was a smoker

excersize, dietary changes and regular sleeping patterns are much more therapeutic than smoking, they all help keep stress levels down. the first three weeks'll be a bit of a fucker, the first week in particular. but after that you won't really care.

i started smoking when i was depressed, i thought that smoking calmed me down and made me less stressed and anxious, now i havent smoked in two months and can honestly say that i'm exactly the same level of stressed that i was before, just slightly less likely to die of lung cancer, regular excersize has been a much better calmer than smoking was.

7. barefootnik

barefootnik Member

Allen Carr easyway to stop smoking, worked for me but took a few reads for it to truly sink in but now I am amazed that I smoked in the first place, what was I doing - so happy now, July 25th will be one year since I freed myself from Tobacco :)

8. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

Hmm... I love to smoke, too. I don't have anger management problems, but that might change should I ever try to quit. If anything will make me quit, it will be the price of smokes. I started when they were 35 cents a pack. It's hard to believe they are over 5 dollars now.

My advise to you is, it's better to slowly kill yourself than to go to jail for killing someone else. If you do have anger issues, maybe quitting isn't the best choice right now.