Questions

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Asadullah, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Asadullah

Asadullah Member

So, as far as I know, being a christian means you accept Jesus as your saviour because he is the son of God and died for your sins. I would like to bring up the question as to the Godlyness of Jesus. Was he God or the Son of God? And, the reason Adam is not considered the son of God is because he was created from nothing while Jesus came from the womb of Mary, making him a 'son", correct? I have more questions but first the question about Jesus being God or the son of God needs to be addressed. Thanks

2. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

No, that is not correct. Christianity has the Trinity, meaning God has three forms, of one God; the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. They are one and the same. Adam was only a man, (according to the Bible) but Jesus IS God, as well as his son. They are one and the same. Jesus existed as "The Messiah" long before he was incarnated in the womb of Mary. (according to the Bible.) As long as God the Father was around, which in the faith, was always.

Why doesn't this seem to make sense to many who were not raised in the faith? I don't know. It is part of what most Christian sources call "The Mysteries."

3. heron

heron Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hell, that doesnt make sense to people who WERE raised in the faith....it is a confusing concept actually.

4. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

Yeah, I agree with heron, it is a confusing concept.

The way I understand the Trinity though is that God is an "it". A presence that binds 3 distinct persons. The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. If you are missing one, you no longer have God. The analogy I like to use cause I came up with it and am rpetty sure I dind't steal it from anyone is that of a sports team. The concept of the team is God, while each of the players makes up one of the 3 persons. If you no longer have one of the persons, you no longer have the team.

Jesus is called the Son just out of simplicity I think. He was born, so he was the Son The Trinitiy for all intents and purposes could be Bob, Frank, and Joe. It doesn't matter.

Maggie, The Mysteries are the Eastern Rite version of the Latin Rite sacraments. There are a few more than the Latin Rite.

5. Alsharad

Alsharad Member

Hey, y'all. Haven't posted in a while, but thought I would jump in real quick.

Yeah, Heron... I agree. That was pretty confusing.

Jesus Christ is ontologically God. He is in nature and in essence the same as the father. However, he is positionally subordinate. Don't over literalize the concept of "Son of God." It has a specific context that can only be completely understood with an explanation of Jewish culture of the time. Needless to say, Jesus is not the literal "son" of God. Jesus was not born from God copulating with a human female. In his divinity, he was never born at all, but he condescended to be born into the world as a man.

As a *very* simple explanation of the trinity, imagine that all your thoughts were given independent consciousness. They would still be your thoughts, they would be as much you as your own thoughts are. They would be ontologically equal to you, sharing your own nature. They would, essentially be you. However, just as Christ is to the Father, so your own thoughts would remain functionally subordinate to yourself. Just as our thoughts bend to our will, so Christ bends to the will of the Father.

This is paralleled in Old Testament Wisdom theology. Where God's Wisdom is treated as a separate person, but is given equal reverance to God the Father. Many Christians believe that Jesus is God's Wisdom incarnate.

The Holy Spirit is another topic, but follows the same line of reasoning.

So Christ is a separate person, functionally subordinate to the Father, yet still God in his nature and essence (including all divine attributes).

6. catstevens

catstevens Muslim Top To Toe

Asadullah
    Let the bible answer
    Is he God?
    Jesus said: "And this is eternal life, that they may know Theeรจ (the father) the only true God" (John 17:3)
    Is he the son of God? he always repeated that he is the son of man! what does the son of God mean anyway, there are many sons of God check this
    *Peace and love*
    Yours Sincerely,
    Cat Stevens

7. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I have to agree with that. Unless one accepts "The Mysteries" without question, which is basically immposible for thinking people to do.

8. catstevens

Maggie Sugar
    Had Jesus ever said so? is there any biblical verse (4 Gospels +Torah not from Paul's letters-epistles) which says so?
    God and Son according to what? Paul!

*Peace and love*
    Yours Sincerely,
    Cat Stevens

9. catstevens

heron
    isn't only about confusing, what's the proof? when did Jesus said so? where can I find it in the 4 Gospels? All what I can find is that Jesus (pbuh) was a human being, H.S is an angel, God the father is the only true God and the only one who should be worshipped
    *Peace and love*
    Yours Sincerely,
    Cat Stevens

10. Dan67

Dan67 Member

In a nutshell, Christianity is just another way of explaining the meaning of life in one small and neat package. And in some ways, depending on who's brand of christianity you are thinking of, it is a way for those who would be leaders control the masses. All that being said, there is supposed to be a Father, a Son, and a Holy Spirit, all in one entity. We humans can have the Holy Spirit, thereby giving us hope for joy and happiness in this existance and beyond. However, I believe that this Holy Spirit was around long before Jesus came along. He was just a reminder to us of it. I feel that clergymen have not paid enough attention to the aspect of the Holy Spirit. They have emphasized too much on the Father and the Son, making us mortals reel inferior(which we have been) and feel threatened with punishment. When Man truly has the Holy Spirit though, we are like friends with the Father and the Son, instead of inferior. Rules like the Ten Commandments and the Golden Rule are things that Mankind needs for his very survival, they are not rules given by some cruel and evil dictator. They are like part of nature for us. A fish can not live very long out of water, and neither can Man live very long after giving up on trying to live by Gods rules(ower rules).

11. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

Mine smells like fresh apple pie :)

12. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

Treba zaplatyty skorshe :H

13. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

"You have to pay beforehand" in ukrainian