Questions for people living in the Azores

Discussion in 'Portuguese' started by broony, Jan 29, 2008.

1. broony

broony Banned

More and more i feel like packing my bags selling all my shit and moving to the Azores. My family comes from the islands and i want to visit so bad...Im real tired of living in the US so im wondering if anyone can give me some information about the islands in general.

In general what are living costs like? Is the tech field growing at a fast rate? What is the exchange rate like from the US. Year round weather, very curious about winter and summer.

Err ill have better questions later..

2. Bradley1107

Bradley1107 Banned

No idea about the economy or tech field. I know that when I was there (summer) the weather was very nice and hot. Im sure it gets chilly in the wintertime. It seemed as though the people lived modestly, went to market everyday, were very religious and involved in cultural traditions. But one thing I can tell you is that most people are very happy there. And it is a beautiful place! Oh and there is a good sized naval base that probably offers a good amount of jobs... Do you speak portuguese?? And could you get a portuguese visa?? If I could get one, Id be right there with you. Good luck

3. AfricaUnite

AfricaUnite Member

Ive spent about a year of my life there in 1 month intervals....I can let you know as much as I do via PM or MSN. Hit me up with some specific questions and I'll try and answer. The above post is accurate from my experience.

4. tartaruga

tartaruga Member

i am portuguese. pm me for questions

5. Anishacariya

Anishacariya Member

i live in the Azores islands... :)

The economy is varied. It exports a lot of meat, milk and derivates, fish and so on...tourism is a good field to explore in therms of buiseness. The tech growth is slow and there aren't many jobs you can find here on that area, seems like everyone has taken their place already. Although there is a Satellite control base established in Santa Maria island which may be needing some experts. I can't recall any other things you might want to know about the economy.
    The weather is very unpredictable, most of the time we have cloudy sky at some point of the day. There is a lot of moisture in the air, moisture levels can go from 60% to 100%. I would say that has an average of 70%. Winter is not too cold, temperatures go from 8ºC to 16ºC. Summer is not too hot either, 18ºC to 25ºC. You can have a nice sunny day in winter as in summer. Or sometimes a cloudy, rainy day. There are a lot of green places here. Most islands are the result of ancient volcanic eruptions so there are a lot of lagoons, mountains with forests and those kind of things.
    It's a world apart from the world, if you seek that, you'll get it. Exile.
    In therms of professional fulfillment it's no good. I advice you to rethink your decision before coming. Or, first try to visit us so you can evaluate for yourself.

6. AzoresNation

AzoresNation Guest

Good idea to be a citizen if you can.

The population in the Azores 24 - 65 is the fastest growing population in the Islands. Emigrants retiring and descendants finding work on the islands to reclaim citizenship. Tech field and sustainability are strong, global. It is very exciting time. Being a Portuguese National gets you all the protections and benefits of the European Union.

Do you have a Portuguese passport?

7. cupy

cupy Member

What if I'm not Portugese and I dont speak portugese is it easy to find a job?a . I know the economy is not going very well but I have to say portugal is very beautiful country :)