question for the Christian haters

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by MollyBloom, Aug 17, 2005.

1. MollyBloom

MollyBloom Member

:( Ok.

2. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

I love you, Molly... ;)

Can I have the $20 now?

3. MollyBloom

MollyBloom Member

Man, I've got even more debt than you! To be frank, I'm not sure I have enough money to get through this next year. Seminary students have to pray..literally..that they'll survive.

4. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I'm sorry that makes yer sad (sincerely)...but honesty has to be maintained...a person is pretty worthless without it

5. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

you're a pitiful example of manhood.

of course i'm saying religion is a drug. i'm also saying that people use it for the same reason they use other drugs. duh. try try try to work that in to your misogynistic brain.

6. mynameiskc

like i said, people use religion for the same reason they use drugs. not that drugs have threats of hell, but there's a hell of a lot of conversions going on.

7. mynameiskc

but praying is something she? he? can do while getting her homework done. and in class...there are no atheists in foxholes and all that. i hear that the closest my doctor ever got to believing in god was finals in med school.

8. Libertine

My uncle Willard was in a foxhole and he was an atheist. ;)

9. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

I don't pray or work... and life is good.

10. Libertine

Damn good point, mon.

11. mynameiskc

my uncle was an atheist BEFORE and AFTER his foxhole experience, but just in case DURING, there was a lot of "god, if you're up there...." ;)

12. Libertine

Not mine. When he said he didn't believe, he meant it.

13. mynameiskc

okay, so there are a few atheists in foxholes. lol.

14. Libertine

15. Laura-the-flowergirl

Laura-the-flowergirl Long haired child

Myself, I'm an atheist, but I won't judge people because they do believe. It's just getting harder and harder for me to ignore how religion is the origin from a lot of bad things. As long as people use religion and God as a sort of way to be happy and feel more secure, I'm okay with it. Everyone has the right to believe in what he or she wants. But people who really live for nothing but their religion, who really let their lives being decided by religion, that's dangerous. You talk about Martin Luther King Jr., and religion had a positive influence on him, but you don't talk about all the negative examples. Religion has always been the origin of evil things. Look back in history, remember the crusades. Even then religion led to war, hate... Religion is obviously something that can make people think in extreme ways, and something extreme can hardly be any good.

16. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I can't help but feel that we actually managed to defeat every argument produced by Christians in this thread.

17. Libertine

That's because we have.

18. Laura-the-flowergirl

Laura-the-flowergirl Long haired child

exactly :)

and thanks to ImFuzzynuts ;)

19. FeelinGroovy

FeelinGroovy opposable thumb

Ok, that reply was a very big letdown involving an intelligent discussion on this topic. I actually thought deeply about your perception of a "real Christian" and for a moment even sympathized with you. I was expecting a much more thorough and diligent reply. I will still be willing to continue the conversation with you if you would like to engage yourself in some deeper thought.

By sheep I assume you mean his followers. And yes, I think that is one of the most important parts (personally) about being Christian, yet is one of the hardest to master as a human. I often wonder where the dividing line between opinions and judgement is placed. Can one truely have an opinion withought the prior passing of judgement?

I don't hate non-Christians, nor do I even dislike "christian haters". Yes, sometimes I am annoyed by their passing of judgement and inflammatory remarks (name calling) made out of ignorance or hostility, but in fact, many of the inteligent comments made by non-Christians stimulates me to think in ways that I normally wouldn't and causes me to look deeply into my own spirituality. In the end these sort of things actually make me stronger in my personal devotion.

In my opinion, many of the non-christians' points are very valid as far as the occurrence of hipocracy among Christians. These kinds of comments force me to take a look at myself and to identify areas that I had not taken notice of and where I may need to work on. In these ways I personally think non-Christians are very good teachers if one keeps an open mind and loses ones pride!

In my opinion no one would ever have any reason to "hate" a true Christian. So I actually like to hear peoples opinions as to why they hate Christians. I usually find that those reasons stem from actions of the "Christians" that do not fit well into my idae of how a "true" christian should act. I mean if Christians are strongly turning off the majority of people who they are trying to "save" then surely they are going about it the wrong way.

My last comment involves something I have heard mentioned several times. I've heard people say that the virtues of Christianity are very similar if not identical to the virtues of a very nice, good person, with no connections to spirituality/religion and that people can be very good people withought attesting that they are christians. I wonder how others (Christians and non Christians alike) feel about statements such as this one?

20. mynameiskc

i just get annoyed at people constantly saying that religion is the origin of bad things when in fact, people are the origin of religion.