question for the Christian haters

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by MollyBloom, Aug 17, 2005.

1. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

because acts done in atheism are called plain old acts of greed or lust or passion. if you don't believe in god or gods, you're hardly going to claim them as the reason for it. "i'm going to go take a shit now, because it's god's will and i exhalt him with my stinkiness." just claiming something is god's will doesn't make any less a basic biological function.

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I agree, but you still claim it in the name of God. Religion gives people an excuse to do acts they wouldn't normally do because they can blame it on God; or go to confession and just be forgiven.

3. mynameiskc

that's not true. they'd do them anyway once the pressure got to be enough. they'd just find another excuse, and if they didn't believe in the need for forgiveness, who would actually care to ask for it?

4. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

They do believe in it, they also believe that they can be forgiven if only asked. That is one of the largest faults of christianity.

They might do those acts if under extreme pressure, but that is only an assumption. Plus, by using the excuse of religion, they can do those acts without extereme pressure; which makes them more likely to do them.

5. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

The question remains: Is religion more beneficial or harmful to society as a whole?

I say more harmful as I believe we can accomplish the good without it.

6. mynameiskc

i've done a lot of really shitty, mean things in my life without once needing a god to justify it or forgive it. i know the same is true for society as a whole. your belief is that religion is harmful, my belief is that it's indifferent. people are still just people.

7. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

well i think all thats been proven is that religion is useless & pointless right? basicaly a feel good drug..something toi take to hide the pain..or make you feel good about hurting others
    so why do they assume religion isany better then pot or alcahol?
    when in reality its probly worse then heroin?

8. mynameiskc

i'm not a christian. i'm just arguing your reasoning, which i consider invalid.

9. mynameiskc

i would argue that there's more killing and dying for religion instead of simple basic animal functions, but you don't read those. there are also more people in this world who believe than don't. just averaging the numbers you're bound to come up with a high percentage.

10. mynameiskc

why would i bother to argue that? for most people pot and alcohol are not a problem, the same with religion. but would you agree that a lot of people go overboard and lose control with drugs? what are we to do? condemn the drug, which is merely an inanimate substance, or the person abusing it?

11. mynameiskc

where'd you read that? i know how desperately you want to believe that everyone who disagrees with you is essentially a drooling troglodyte, but that's just not so. i'm saying we have no choice but to be human beings, and human beings will do fucked up shit no matter what they proclaim to believe. the fact that more people claim belief in some religion doesn't mean that the religion is what's causing them to do nasty things to others. animals don't believe anything, but they're still willing to kill for food, space to breath and some pussy. are you going to try to convert them to atheism?

12. mynameiskc

what the hell do you think it's supposed to be? religion is something that brings people a bit of peace of mind, a chance to experience altered realities, a way to control or understand their baser impulses and to help them to understand the world around them, to put an understandable pattern to the world. i'm not gonna go screaming at some pot smoker who's opining on the universe unintelligibly any more than i'm gonna condemn an old lady praying to god for a little peace and safety. it's just pointless.

13. mynameiskc

shit, i lost the other half, anyway, anything in this world is capable of being misused and abused. a spoon never hurt anyone until some crazy asshole decided to hone it and stick it in someone's eye. what do we do now? condemn all spoons?

14. Libertine

I didn't say "religion is harmful"...

I said:
    I think that it is more harmful than beneficial.

15. FeelinGroovy

FeelinGroovy opposable thumb

Man, no wonder so many of you non-Christians hate Christians. From what I've heard from many of you with quotes like "...which is in contradiction to the typical cheristian attitude that we are all evil motherfuckers only deserving to be tortured in hell.." it's no wonder you hate them (us).

You guys have a really warped sence of what you think Christianity is like. Heck, I'd hate Christians too if I perceived of it the same as a lot of you do.

I wonder where you guys got such ideas. maybe from the few really warped people out there who do "call" themselves Christians. Those must be the only ones who were outrageous enough to stick in your minds.

So are most of you anti-Christians atheists and hate all religions or just religions other than yours?

16. Libertine

Ahhh...here we go.

Those weren't "real" Christians. My "version" of Christianity is the "right" one? IS that what we getting at here?

No, I don't "hate" Christians or anybody else.

It has nothing to do with hate whatsoever. I would just like to meet a "real" Christian who really goes by what the Jesus of the Bible says. I have yet to do so.

Furthermore, no one has met my challenge, but all have clasped their "interpretations" of what Jesus "really meant"...ha ha...ok...

And atheism is not a belief. It is the LACK of Belief. I know your Christian apologists tell you this myth (that it is a belief), but unfortunately that is bullshit.

The burden of proof is on the claimant.

17. Dan67

Dan67 Member

It is apparent that they are just self centered, angry, hateful, and confused people. Proper guidence while growing up could have helped most of them. I look at it like this. God has a plan, that through free will, they see his ways are needed for our very survival. Much trial and error is needed to make all of them see. Keep faith. Good will prevail. And the trial and error bin is nearly full.

18. Libertine

Wow, Dan. Are you a prophet? Are these the "last days"?

C'mon. Show me ONE good argument that I haven't refuted in these forums!

Give me an example of MY being self-centered, angry, hateful or "confused"...If I am confused, prove it.

Don't you hate that phrase? PROVE IT...such a "stumbling block" ain't it?

19. Dan67

Dan67 Member

When terrorists set off a suit case nuke or two, I'll answer this.

20. Libertine

What in the hell does that have to do with these discussions on Christianity and other macro-cults?