question for the Christian haters

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by MollyBloom, Aug 17, 2005.

1. MollyBloom

MollyBloom Member

I have a question for the people always slamming Christians on this board:

Do you admire Martin Luther King Jr.? Do you think he made positive change in the world? Do you think he was a great man? This man's faith in God is what motivated him and led him to be who he was in the world.

So if that same faith drives me, then why does everyone start slamming the Bible, God, Jesus, religion, faith, Church, etc.? If my faith is what motivates me, then why is that so threatening to you? Honestly?

2. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

well, now, what makes you think that these good people have all swallowed the rantings of dirty nutbag extremists? also, pomposity has nothing to do with believing in their faith being the one true way. believing that they're the only ones DESERVING of salvation would be pompous. but no, they believe in sharing the info with everyone.

3. UrsusKind

UrsusKind U like Chris Farley?

uh welll in the world of real things one and one only ad up to two. But hey that is just simple math .5 plus .5 plus .5 plus .5 make two too.

Christianity is the only true path to closeness with god. TRUE Islam is understood by the follower to be a reform of christianity. If a TRUE muslim read his Koran he would not even find a mention of Gihad. Budist teachings put you on the same path as the teachings of christ. The most enlightened budist. The exiled Dhali Lamma says Christ was most likely a Lamma of some sort in another life. So if Dali says Christ had it together then I guess the rest of the Budist do too.

You can not get close to God unless you accept his sacrafice for you. If your faith is one that prohibits you from accepting this it is probably wrong. But as most faiths don't believe in an afterlife or even a God it ain't no big deal. A religion can not save you any way. Religion is what you do, what you do is only good for this life, your faith is what is good for the next. Religions can help you lead a good life but as far as the afterlife it don't mean puck skwawk.

The hope is ones faith transforms ones action.

4. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

Molly, I don't "slam" Christians. I state my opinions of organized religion and macro-cults who base their dogma on imaginary, unproven phenomena and then try to use legislation or coercion to push it.

And I have yet to see a "real" Christian. Where's my $20 from these "real" Christians?

Albert Fish's "faith in God" led him to flaggelate himself, molest children and turn cannibal...but, hey that was his "interpretation" of the "good book".

Because these people who hold their "faith" higher than reason seem to be the ones always getting us into shit. Muslims "faith" in Islam had them slam 2 planes into the WTC. Jews "faith" had them slaughter the Midianites. Hitler's "faith" in his religious dogma had him commit genocide. Christians' "faith" led to the Inquisition, Salem Witch Trials and the Northern Ireland conflict.

It's ok to believe in fairy tales as long as you keep it to yourself. But, organized religions are based on CONVERSIONS and you either accept their "faith" or be threatened with some punishment from the netherworld...

5. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

dr kings works & his greatness was because of his faith in man.. regardeless of his faith in god
    he did what he did because he haf faith in the common decency of all human beings..which is in contradiction to the typical cheristian attitude that we are all evil motherfuckers only deserving to be tortured in hell..
    as for the dalilama maybe he did say christ was probably a lamma, which is possibly true if christ existed, but that doesnt make the dali or christ a god does it? no, just an enlightened being, which there are many enlightened beings out there,, many of who have been branded as evil by close minded christians
    its not exactly christianity or individual christians who we attack, itsw the close mindded, self rituose attitude that makes christians beleive they are all saved & everyone else, no matter how saintly they are are evil just because they dont agree with you
    i ask you this..since the dali lamna isn;'t christian...is he going to hell?

6. Hikaru Zero

Hikaru Zero Sylvan Paladin

Well I don't think I've slammed a Christian on this board, but ...

Yes, I admire Martin Luther King Jr. Yes, I do think he made positive change in the world. And, yes, I do think he was a great man.

However, his faith in God is what motivated him to be who he was.

And his BRAIN is what actually got him there.

I'm pretty motivated too, as are many other people out there who don't believe in Christianity. Just motivated for different reasons.

The problem with Christian motivation that many people see is, Christians have a big tendency to act high and mighty and talk down to "non-believers," and they also tend to try to convert other people, often in the form of talking about their God at strange or unnecessary times.

Now, little things aside, I have no problem with you just because your motivation comes from Christ, but ... the problem really has nothing to do with Martin Luther King, Jr.

MLK Jr. did what he did, not for God, not for himself, but for the rest of the world. God isn't an issue in what he did, because he used his own brain to accomplish his own goals here on Earth; not for a higher purpose.

Buddhist teachings don't "put you on the same path" at all. They are similar in some respects, such as the "turn the other cheek" philosophy, and the idea of loving everyone regardless of preconceived relationships. However, when the Dali Lama said that Christ was probably a Lama in another life, right there he's talking about the Hindu-based idea of reincarnation, which is something that is not present in Christianity, with the exception of Jesus' one reincarnation.

Buddhist teachings are there to help any man who is not divine to eliminate suffering in his life, through his own mind, rather than by letting another guy who has been dead for the past 2000 years pardon him for his sins.

Anyway, rock on. =)

7. mynameiskc

honestly, how many non-christians here have never talked down to people? most of the time, talking down to someone is only a matter of perspective. i hear a lot of talk about the typical christians here, but i've met a lot of christians who were just plain nice, gentle, generous people. but i guess people only see what they want to see. MLK's morality and belief in the human race was ultimately a developement of his upbringing, which was GREATLY influenced by his christianity. religions don't just bring people around to evil, as so many enjoy believing. it gets people to care about and do good things, too.

8. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Just like it drove Dr. King to do good, it drove millions of people to do bad. This argument is futile.

9. mynameiskc

it also drove millions to good. it is a futile argument, i agree, but the bad always gets better press coverage, doesn't it?

10. soaringeagle

ya still havent answered my question..is the dali lama going to hell cause hes not a christian?

11. soaringeagle

no actuialy the bad usualy gets billed as being gods will doesnt it? just like how its gods will now that we bomb muslims? or how its gods will that abortion doc's get blown up
    its the blash[hemy of saying that you know gods will that really pisses me off..& then the atrocities done in the name of godswill just hammer that point ho,me

12. Libertine

Libertine Guru of Hedonopia

The question is can we achieve the good without "religion"? I say, yes.

13. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Ofcourse, but I am not only refering to the last 100 years.

Plus, I must believe that Christianity has saved less lives and taken much more.

Libertine... I couldn't agree more.

14. mynameiskc

dunnno, i guess i's have to believe in hell to answer that. ;)

as for religions driving people to bad, well, shit! peopel have been doing well enough doing bad shit without ANY belief in ANY religion. what, do atheists never commit crimes? people will find a motivation for any animalistic desire they have. let's not forget we're animals. there's NOTHING that we do that hasn't been demonstrated in the animal kingdom, except ours is a more complicated form of the same old bullshit. if there is an act capable of being committed, it has a natural source. that includes the need to believe in something. and your belief in something is also demonstrated by your desire to believe that belief in NOTHING is better than belief in what has already been invented.

15. mynameiskc

i'm not only referring to the last 100 years, either. the only shit that gets recorded is the ugly shit that gets our attention. and it gets our attention because it IS aberrant behavior. normal behavior, even for christians, does not include murdering and hateful actions. the vast majority of christians, muslims, jews, pagans, whatever, are NOT engaged in hateful actions. most of them are just going to the store and doing the little things to get by and be decent to other people.

16. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Then why have all these wars been fought in the name of religion, while not a single war has been fought in the name of athiesm?

17. mynameiskc

just because it's billed as "god's will" doesn't make it so. these are people being people, warring over resources and fears, and trying to make themselves feel better by putting some religious flag to it. if it wasn't relgion, they'd use something else.

18. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Then why were large amounts of Christians in the crusades, or with Alexander the Great, or with the Spanish conquistadors, etc etc etc.

Why were alot of Muslims conqueres, like the Ottoman empire and such?

They all did it in the name of religion, that's what justified thier thirst for expansion.

You can easily say that this is human nature... but it was still justified by religion. Murder justified by religion.

19. mynameiskc

because for atheism we have plain old criminal acts. if you throw a religion on it, you just might get some suckers to help you out. since being relgious was the accepted way to be, you could say whatever you wanted to do was somethign god or the gods wanted you to do. but i tell you, the day that religion is tossed out, the human animal will be the same. we won't suddenly evolve to a higher state of animal just because we say so. we'll still have the same old brain chemistry, the same sexual and social drives that are possessed by your average predator.

20. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I haven't heard any criminal acts that were done in the name of athiesm.

The day that religion is tossed out (which will sadly never happen) human kind will surpass its mental weakness and its need for an idol to worship, and will go through an intellectual evolution.