question for ppl from england, from a dude in america

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by slappysquirrel, Jun 24, 2013.

1. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

ok, so here where i live we have red imported fire ants. they are lil bitches. originally they are from s.america. they are an invasive species.

so.. one day i was curious and looked up the worlds top 10 worst invasive species.

lol #5 on the list was... the grey squirrel we have here where i live. how bad are they there? it said they eat trees when they dont have anything else to eat.

and sadly the fire ants weren't even on the list lol,, guess our squirrels must be lil heathens over there then

2. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Those grey squirrels are a menace.

They have driven out the native reds from pretty much all of mainland Britain apart from the wilds of Scotland, and one or two other places.

That's why the pic of a red squirrel takes pride of place in my album "Places I've been, things I've seen". That one was the first red I'd ever seen in the wild ... and I was over 40 when I saw it (and I'm a regular visitor to Scotland, too).

Now, if only they'd eat bindweed rather than nuts, I guess I could forgive the little critters. But as it is ...

3. slappysquirrel

sometimes when i think about it, it almost seems hard to believe. they are smart,cute lil bastards that dont hurt anything.

be glad you dont have fireants there lol

4. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

I'm 30, and I've never seen a red squirrel in my life. Seen dozens of grey ones though.

When I was in Hyde Park once (funnily enough, it was a Hipforums meetup), we saw this woman who was holding bread out ar arm's length. The squirrels around her would jump up her leg, around her torso, along her arm, grab the bread and jump off.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I've heard of the grey squirl problem in UK too. It's pretty sad for the red squirl really...

6. slappysquirrel

too bad they cant interbreed ya know

7. thereaperman44

thereaperman44 Member

get grey squirrels in my garden all day long, and foxes and a lot of seagulls,,,,, fun times

8. Chamberlight

Chamberlight Guest

Apparently there are now black squirrels which are driving the grey squirrels out. This may be utter bullshit but I'm pretty sure it's a real thing. They are like.. More aggressive, hormonal and tougher than the greys.

9. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

Do people really care what colour the squirrels we have are? o_O

I mean... they're just squirrels... they all look absolutely adorable lol

10. slappysquirrel

where the fuck are black squirrels from????

11. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

The Dark Side of the tree?

12. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

xD!

13. slappysquirrel

maaan,, being from america im almost sad,,, cuz now black squirrels are making our grey squirrels look like bitches lol.. sorry guyz.

hey i live w/ fire-ants,ball pythons n shit. humans have destroyed the world in many wayz. and dont ask me how/why grey squirrels even made it to great brittain anyways.

hey long live the red squirrel...

14. driftwood_74

driftwood_74 Level 88

What was "white man" ranked on the list of 10 worst invasive species in America?

15. slappysquirrel

^who knows,, but im a reflection/related to all of you (irish/dutch/cherokee)^

it is that it is, it is history,, the question is how did the grey squirrel get there in the first place?? and we have ours,, ever stepped on a fireant nest barefoot?? i think not.. trust me,, it sucks