Question about record player

Discussion in 'Music' started by steve-peace, Feb 15, 2009.

1. steve-peace

steve-peace Member

I have a Dual 506 record player, and a good number of vynals that I enjoy listening to often. The only problem is that it's hooked up to my stereo but it doesn't go very loud. I am forced to put it to max volume in order to hear it at a regular loudness (about talking level, maybe a little louder). I was just wondering why this would be.. I don't know much about it but I've attached the grounding wire to various parts and reconfigured it a few times. Any thoughts?

thanks,
    Steve

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I had the same problem, so I'm eagerly awaiting thoughts on this as well :cheers2:

3. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

a simple solution is run it through an old tape deck first[secondary volume control]...a pre-amp would also work..assuming its working properly

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Pre-amp, so you mean put a second amp between it? :confused:

5. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

yes,i believe the signal from the turntable is not strong enough so it might help to boost it a little before the receiver..there are many variables..sometimes the problem can be that your system is not strong enough to power your speakers...if your speakers are way better than your system this could be the case..there should be a sticker on the back of both to show wattage...also a pre-amps purpose is prepere the signalfor further amplification ...see pre-amp wikopedia

6. ad10

ad10 Member

sounds like your plugging it into a line input and what u need is a phono input

7. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Yep, the output of phonograph players is to low for a line input.
    Back in the old days there was always a " phono input" on the back of most amps. You shoulda heard the distortion when we would accidentally plug in a line signal from a tape deck or something. ouch:eek:

ZW

8. steve-peace

steve-peace Member

Ahh, that makes sense. Yeah the stereo I have it plugged into is a relatively new thing, certainly much newer than the record player. I've got some older stereo receivers I can plug it into instead.

Thanks

9. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

Receivers with a phono input should also have a dedicated ground for the record player.