Question about Facebook Messenger

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by McNulty, Apr 25, 2018.

1. McNulty

McNulty Member

Okay, on Facebook Messenger, what does it mean when there is no timestamp next to a friend's name? For instance, when a friend is active, it shows a green dot next to their name. When they are not active, there is a timestamp. It will say something like :"active 2H ago" which of course means 2 hours ago. However, what does it mean when there is nothing at all next to their name? Someone told me that it meant that they have probably left Facebook, but that can't be right. It just strikes me as odd that there would be no timestamp at all next to their name.

2. wilsjane

wilsjane Member

It means that Facebook are creating an alibi while they are trying to hack into HF.:yum::yum::yum:

Many a true word spoken in jest. :yum::yum::yum:

3. Orison

Orison my dog is full of tinsel Staff Member Super Moderator

You should friend yourself with another account of yourself, and see where you are..

Irminsul likes this.
  4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear voice of sexy

maybe it means they're online and they've blocked you. or they're currently online, but in a parallel universe where you can't actually communicate with them.

5. McNulty

McNulty Member

It does not do it very often. More times than not, there will be a time stamp next to their name. I was just wondering what would make it disappear every so often. It definitely does not mean that I have been blocked, because if that were the case, I would not even be able see their page, let alone post on it.

6. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

FB has a way of tracking who you connect with the most often, so maybe you dropped out of their rotation or something. Idk, that’s my best guess.

7. McNulty

McNulty Member

You may be on to something. I'm starting to think that FB knows the reason why. They just refuse to tell their users, LOL. It's strange because today, it's right back to normal. All of my friends have either a green dot or timestamp next to their name. It's just that every once in a blue moon, it won't show anything next to someone's name. And it's usually only one person, and it's never the same person twice. And then seemingly, just like that, it goes back to normal. As a matter of fact, I have even asked a friend about this and they told me that they didn't do anything any different during that time that it wasn't showing anything next to their name. So, it could be that it's just a glitch.

8. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Instead of being a sarcastic twat I'm actually going to answer your question...lol

On the messenger app you can hide your activity status so people won't know when you're online. So it could be that sometimes people don't want to be disturbed so they just go inactive for a while.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Can you post the sarcastic twat version now? I'd like to read it. :D

la Principessa likes this.
  10. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Maybe they got abducted by aliens into a black hole outside of your provider's coverage area.

11. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

Maybe they spent the day in bed, like I did yesterday.