Querkle Breeding Thread..By Subcool

Discussion in 'The Green Avengers Cannabis Cafe' started by subcool, May 1, 2008.

1. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

By now everyone should know of my work with Black Russian and Sputnik and how many people grow then out and swear by them as far as potency and yields and no one complains ever about flavor but I see people describing it as Berry Pepper or Spicy and that not really the flavor I was looking for when I started out. Everyone is crazy about Blueberry but to be honest its rare I find a female that actually taste anything like an actual blueberry anything. Sure there are the occasional rare yummy ones but its not like a super tasty keeper is in every pack. Now I must clarify this has nothing to do with Somas’s lavender I have smoked it several times and it doesn’t have the same taste, smell or look at this northern California original.

I have spoken with several people who grow this cutting also know to some as Purple Urkle. Its easily recognized by her super short and slow growth pattern and later in bud her amazing transformation into a Lavender beauty just reeking of grapes and purple goodness.

It my recent article The Color Purple I lay out why cannabis turns purple and other colors and explained why so many find it desirable. I have spend many wasted dollars trying purple samples both in the US and in the UK as well as Canada but until Sticky Lungs passed this cut to me I was not overly impressed with the taste of any of them and you know me I am into taste as much as potency. If Lavender has a down side its how slow she grows after rooting. In soil I take cuts a full month before the rest of my strains just so she can have a chance of keeping up. One thing Space Dude ( our Space Queen breeding male) is good for is adding some speed and stretch to most of his sibling crosses and we hope the combination of potency and heavy resins will make a killer cross.

I first enjoyed this Urkle strain grown out by Sticky himself and I must say it was one of the better samples of cannabis I had all year. For a young dude he shows an amazing understanding of the plant and his relationship with its dankness. I also smoked his Trainwreck and did not really like it just to establish I am a pot snob.

Lets look at the dank ass buds Sticky Lungs traded me for some of my green meds you have to love legal!

2. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

I grew out the cutting Sticky gave me along with the Trainwreck and in the end I liked the TW grown in my garden about as much as his. The lavender fooled me though, it took so long to get going I had her in the rear of the garden and in the last 2 weeks she just filled out some massive rock hard colas that slowly started to fade to purple. Now I must stress I intentionally kept her in a warm area with no cold nights and I maxed out my super soil so that zero fading could occur. Basically I had the Nitrogen levels super high to make sure she was green to the end. If this girl turned colors I wanted it to be naturally occurring.

Lets Look at her growing up from Cutting.

The plants simply loved super soil it was just slow......

3. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

As the plant matured it was extremely dark green and total Indica at week 5 she was barely turning purple but it was all in the genetics because day and night temps were running in the high 70’s I didn’t add any fertilizers other than sucanat and sweatleaf.

4. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

In the end the buds were a beautiful Purple, almost Black Plum colored and the flavor is out of this world. I like to contrast the taste with another strain like Jack the Ripper that’s completely different and lemony harsh. When you have a binger of Urkle it taste so good I almost always take to much in and get a giant head rush. This isn’t whimpy bud either with a heavy Indica influence its buzz is great for night time. I like to pour a nice strong sweet coffee to go with a joint of this super sweet strain. I notice living full time with a bud garden some times my senses are numbed down and I have to leave the house to really smell what our weed is like.

5. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

One day I rode out to one of my favorite cruising and picture taking roads and took a small glass jar with a bud of lavender with me. When broke it up and smoked some in a small glass pipe I was amazed at how much like lavender it really tasted. I guess the I decided to cross her and then I had to decide between SQ or JTR. I think the long arms of Space Queen and her soft Cherry flavor just might create some amazing dankness. Typically with Indicas’s our boy has a soft influence but only time and Growers will tell us.

6. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

Breeding in the winter is a bit different than the summer in that the breeding closet we use now is not heated and being remote from the home its cold as hell out there. He developed nicely but has been kinda hanging on here the last few days so I have decided to move the 400 watt light over him to warm things up and get the party started. I have lavender clones in two stages one budding now almost 27 days and one budding like 22 I will decide which one is best but the older one may be to far along to finish the seeds before finishing.

One Cold male

7. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

As I was photographing the older one I am thinking if the Dude goes off soon we may be in business but any longer and we will have to go with the one that has been in 12/12 less time. This strain does go a full 8 weeks so a seeded plant can usually go about 10 extra days so I will have to see what the boy does in this match up.

8. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

In the continuing saga of Sticky’s lavender/Urkle plant it’s time for an update.
    Last time we checked in I was smoking the shit out of this weed and tried to pollinate a few top branches with some stored pollen but it didn’t seem to take except Jill’s lone seed she found while we were smoking. I like the taste of this strain so much I have decided to run with it as a cross with Space Dude. I am going to give Sticky half the seeds from this entire huge plant as a thanks for introducing me to this yummy girl. I passed on some serious genetics to Sticky as well but I always try and hook people up so get ready for a nice stash of beans bro, but did we get it done?

At the Plant wash

The Rains Came
    Ok after three days of hanging out with the dude I took advantage of a nice sideways rain storm to let her naturally wash off. Its important I do this well as she will re enter my main bud room. All plants are sprayed heavily with water and so is she several times before returning home.

Drum Roll Please.[​IMG]

9. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

Remember the cereal Quisp? So we absolutely have seeds and it’s just a ametter of time now before we have a new cross. I was in chat today and I was told to stop calling her lavender that a slang for the strain Urkle so we will stick to it now. Since I have decided this I kinda like the name Qurkle for the cross. I again have the temps constant and 75 so this is not temperature related on the coloring it starts about day 35-40 and creeps out through the green as it matures. The smell though is full on already and with the space queen C at day 40 in the next bud room you get a good idea of what the two will smell liked combined.

Ready for the Fun to start?

10. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

Now the seeded Urkle has actually been in bud less time than the other I just posted but youd have a hard time knowing. I may have pollinated her a bit late but I will just leave her in flower until the seeds are completely done. Now that I know how fast she finishes I will make sure I pollinate her closer to 21 days and not 26 like this plant was.

I have been waiting all week to shoot this plant for you guys you can see the pre formed seeds in almost every bud. So many members ask me when the seeds will be ready the easiest way if for me to show you guys. Like 53 days or so and based on what others have told me she should have just enough energy to finish well over the next few weeks. She fading badly but most of my breeding mums do as I only place them in a 5 gallon pot and show them really little attention. Once there washed off of pollen there under the light and on there own for about 40 days
    I love the way the yellow seeds contrast against the purple buds it looks kinda Alien, like something Dr Smith would need the robot to help him with. Danger! Danger! Will Robinson Warning Warning.

11. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

Before we germinate the Querkle a few more shots.
    Skip better upgrade my account or I can't finish this thread :)

12. Naturalhi

Naturalhi Great hairy ape

13. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

Ok Lets get started on Querkle now.

I think you get the idea we document every strain like this btw so the grower knows exactly whats going into each strain.

I do not mind people replying in my thread btw

14. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

Well the time has come to transplant Querkle into MzJill’s pink pots,

I want to showcase how dark green she is with a nice pink tint already at this stage that nice shading on the underside is an Urkle trait

I can already see tints of Purple and the velvet leaf structure we wanted in this hybrid.

Naturalhi, thanks very much for the tip.
    I should have my own forum created soon and this thread will be moved there.

15. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

Ok I will continue this later I have some pretty amazing details just in today so I think you guys will see some amazing Purple as this post continues.

Querkle rocking under 2k

16. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

Day 30 and I am starting to get extremly excited as I can smell the Grape tang I was looking for as well as the Purple coloring we hoped for in well over 50% of the sibling females.

17. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

You can just begin to see the purple coloring starting

18. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

We are now seeing full on Purple much earlier than I would with the Urkle mother.
    The smell of Sour grapes is overwelming at this point.

19. subcool

subcool MJ Grow Guru

Now were doing hand stands and our Querkle girls reak of grape Dank and its all we wanted and more.

20. lune

lune Senior Member

Wow subcool, awesome thread man. Great pics! I'm growing out some grandaddy purp right now but a friend of mine has a querkle mom, I might have to snag a few cuts from him :)

What's the smoke like? Is it just straight grape tasting like urkle and grapeape or grape/skunky like the gdp? Looks awesome either way!