QOTW May 27 donating to food pantries and shelters

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by drumminmama, May 27, 2007.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

How many of us donate food to pantries/ shelters/ Food Not Bombs and such?
    how many work for pay or volunteer there?

what do you donate?

if you were the client, what would you like to see available for veg*an folks?

2. Personally I don't like to discuss details much as I want to keep what I do for the purpose of helping others and not for recognition. Since you did ask though, I do try to donate money and food when I can spare it. It may not be much but every little bit helps right?

How do others feel about donating or working with organizations that distribute meat? Does anyone know anything about Food for Life www.ffl.org? It is an organization that distributes vegan and vegetarian meals, but I have not heard much about it.

3. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

I donate foodstuffs to our church - which has an informal food shelf (approved by the county) as well as a free-store. It's in a pretty needy neighborhood, and there are always more people coming than there is food & clothing to give away.

My personal "rule" is not to give away anything I wouldn't feed or clothe my own children in. So when we bring things in, it's clothing that is still in good condition, and all-natural (organic is sometimes a bit too pricey even for us, but we try) wholesome foods - NOT the stuff at the bottom of our cupboards.

Our church's doors are open on Sundays & Wednesdays. I work with the children (about half of which walk in from the neighborhood) during the schoolyear on Wednesdays, and during the summer we all help with the free shelves. On Sundays I have other duties, but help out if I see someone needing something.
    love,
    mom

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

ffl is Hare Krishna, I think.. good cause, though.

what about the opposite: what would you want to see on the shelves if you ever had to do the food pantry mambo(FPM)?

if you did the FPM, how'd you keep veg? where did you have to be accepting of what came?
    one time, I made a deal with another client and she got the veggies I liked and I swapped the pork and beans, tuna and such with her.
    She actually had a garden, so she was looking to fill in around that.