Purple Haze

Discussion in 'Music' started by NatureFreak412, May 22, 2004.

1. NatureFreak412

NatureFreak412 Art of Balance

My dad who was a hippie and was like a late teen/ early adult durring the time of Hendrix says this song was about LSD, and then my tokin buddy says its about grass, which is it about if either one?

2. Carnivore

Carnivore Visitor

It's about neither of those. The song is about a dream that Hendrix had, where he was walking on the ocean floor. I read in an interview conducted with Hendrix that he tries to set his dreams to poetry whenever possible, and that "Purple Haze" is a prime example of this.

This is a great song, although it is definitely not my favorite song by Jimi, or even one of my favorite songs by him. "Little Wing", off of Axis: Bold as Love is my favorite Hendrix piece, as well as one of my favorite songs ever. Its beauty is one that cannot be expressed in words. Really, I don't think there are any bad songs off those three Experience albums; they're all in varying levels of great.

3. NatureFreak412

NatureFreak412 Art of Balance

Thanks man

4. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

well i would've put money on it bein about acid.

but what the hell do i know anyways........

5. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

What the hell does anyone know? :)

I'd read that Hendrix had wrote the song after taking acid. Purple Haze LSD to be precise so it's not totally unbelievable to think this was the inspiration.
    It's like the "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" palava...Half say he was crazy on acid, half that little Julian (or Sean) had drew a picture of 'Lucy' in the sky trailing diamonds.

Any way you want to work the story, these songs both had some thanks to give to LSD.

Niether could have been wrote without it, certainly not Lucy.

6. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I could've sworn Purple Haze was a kind of LSD.

7. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

actually, if you look at the rela lyrics he wrote, it was Purple Haze Jesus Saves. it was about a dream he had and had nothing to do with drugs. and yes i agree, Little Wing is an awsome song!

8. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

actually it is marijuana. best there is!!i wish i had some right now!

9. KaleidoscopeEyes

KaleidoscopeEyes Member

Sigh, when you listen to Music, do you feel or think? This song is wonderful because of the wild energy you can feel through the rhythm. No time to think of anything else while you listen to it.

10. TheDoorsOfPerception

TheDoorsOfPerception Member

I was told that was what it meant...^