puna and Hilo

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by MongolianHipPouch, Apr 16, 2008.

1. MongolianHipPouch

MongolianHipPouch Member

puna is the main hip area, the town and area is home to many dreads. camping is everywhere, the locals are mostly dropouts whom will rob your house and say aloha to you, meth is real there! one hit and you end up hollowed out. carry a knife. always stand your ground. Hilo sucks more meth! more dummys, acre of land in puna cost 5grand on up!(kalapana) <----need more hippie's. Oh one more thing! Hawaiians are only 15 % of the pop. so everyone else come from somewhere else. lotta people act like their locals.(just b/c ur tan don't mean your hawaiian) be safe!

2. zihger

zihger Senior Member

Yeah that is a good description of Puna.

Lots of meth.. There is camping if you dare, sleep with a knife handy.

Cheap land if you want any, one of the poorest counties in the U.S.

I tried hang there before but just too sketchy for me I prefer the kona side of the island.

I have had some good times in Hilo it has a collage so a few of the folks there actually have a life. Kick ass farmers market

3. WhiteBear

WhiteBear Member

Anybody home? Is north Puna, around Volcano, less likely to have hollowed-out zombies? I am looking at spending my last years in Hawaii, as I live in the NW and winters are getting deadly cold and depressing. I want to be able to toke up with some hip folks around my age, (approaching sixty). Suggestions? I do not want to deal with hard drugs; just some blazing, wine around the campfire, and I'll have enough bucks to build a green house. It sounds like Hilo is the place to go, then?

4. Jeph

Jeph Member

i too would enjoy being on the island. no hard drugs! dont even want to be around it. I guess camping is out. but I do puff freely. If anyone has any leads for me and my girl on a place to land when we get there. we can find an apartment from there. and good luck on the greenhouse!!!! I blow glass and would love to teach and set up shop in hawaii. thanks Peace

5. caffinatedbill

caffinatedbill Member

I wouldn't recommend Hilo for the full on hip experience, Pahoa is considerably more wacky. There is no shortage of hip folks to burn with in Puna but realistically, wherever human beings cohabitate you'll find a fair share of bullshit to go along with them. Meth is a huge problem over here and ignorance is universally abundant (not just Puna)

Property is indeed quite inexpensive in Kalapana, the reason being that a major lava flow went directly through the town in the not so distant past. There are however some very reasonable prices for properties in more stable lava zones.

I hear alot of fantasies from people wanting to immigrate to Puna and then sour grapes when the reality didn't live up to the expectation. If someone sincerely wanted to live in this paradise without experiencing inordinate amounts of bullshit, it's absolutely possible. A little bit of research and a realistic budget will go a long way.

Smooches
    Bill....

6. zihger

zihger Senior Member

I only spent a few weeks on the big island, so I don’t know the place that well but I glanced at property Nth of hilo it was a lot more expensive but much nicer then the puna area. A lot of small organic farms in that area.
    Some areas get a lot of wind on the Nth east side of the islands so you probably would want to get to know the area for a bit before you bought land.
    Some places get wind and crappy weather a lot then you go down the street a few miles and it is almost always nice.

Camping around Kona seems fairly safe and nice I had some folks try to rob my camp in the night around black sands but I never had any trouble north of there.

But you probably should ask around before you go camping, some spots the Hawaiians just don’t like howlees to be in and some spots you will probably get robbed.

Ask the locals the tourists don’t have a clue. A lot of spaced out hippies new to the island will tell you it is all paradise.

There is a hostel in Hilo and one in Kona they are kind of expensive but it could be a place to crash for a couple of nights until you find something.

There is some perma culture farms and growing communities that take visitors and guests also if you look around.

But be carefull or some of the ones in Puna… there is a couple that have nice websites but the are just a bunch of meth heads that rob tourists.

7. SucculentFlower

SucculentFlower earthfirst!

PUNA-TICS nuff said. Maui is nice.

8. Jeph

Jeph Member

damb

9. Lorax_Love

Lorax_Love Member

loved Puna, it is a place that will test your wits. It is a place that if you have a mainland attitude or let yourself hang too loose you will learn hard lessons. As to the meth, the meth is no worse than many places on the mainland, if you want a drug it is anywhere. I live on big island for three years. 6 months in waipi'o Valley, 6 months in Hilo, and 2 yrs in Puna. i hitchhiked all over the island all the time, never owning a car there. If you are intellegent, and respectful know how to read a situation and can survive off the land big island is a place for you. If not go to Oregon, the natives are used to disrespectful, unappreciative white folks.

10. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Nobody's mentioned the VOG! I was going to move to the Puna area then I read about the Volcanic Fog which consists of SO2, Sulphur Dioxide, a highly poisonous gas. This gas has been coming out of a new vent and has been settling over Hawaii from Puna to Kona (not Hilo). It could vent one night and settle over the house while you're asleep, and next thing you know you're DEAD! Hasn't happened to anyone yet, but the possibility is there!

In the meantime ppl have to breathe the noxious shit coming outta Kilaeua Volcano on a regular basis these days...

More info about the VOG and daily VOG readings here:
    http://www.konaweb.com/vog/index.shtml