psychopharmacology...

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by zodiacflower, May 18, 2007.

1. zodiacflower

zodiacflower Member

does anyone here have any experience w/ psychopharmacology? i'm intrested and trying to deside if it would be a good thing to go to schol for...so i'm looking for more info, any help would be greatly appreciated[​IMG]

2. zodiacflower

zodiacflower Member

*school*...just so some of u technical bastards can save your time telling me i can't spell

3. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

i wanted to do pharmacology as my minor but it required heaps of physiology and biochemistry before getting to the pharmacology. which in turn required chemistry and biology. luckily i had done them anyway, but i guess i decided that biochem classes were not worth it because they were always on at night and bad times of the week.

whatever teh case, psychopharmacology is like covered in psychology but not in too much depth as to the actual processes going on on a chemical and metabolic scale. if you get what i mean.

so if you want to get into psychopharm, you gotta do chemistry, biology, physiology, biochemistry, and assumedly, psychology units for your own sake. thats how it is at my uni, but im sure most would have similar prerequisites.

4. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

Is psychopharmacology the modern equivelent to what used to be called psychochemotherapy?

5. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

No. It's the study of drug-induced changes in mood.

6. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

The "chemo" in psychochemotherapy means chemical (as in pharmaceutical) rather then any relation to radiative treatments. So I the modern equivalent would be psychopharmacotherapy. Thanks for clearing that old lingo up.

To the OP, I have only my own independent research experience, which probably wouldn't mean much to anyone else. Psychopharmacology is a very interesting field of study. Best of luck, if that's what you decide to do.

7. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

I still don't think it's the same as psychochemotherapy. Psychochemotherapy, I'm guessing, is the act of using pharms to alter the mind as a way of therapy.

Psychopharmacology is just the study of it.

8. branflakes

branflakes Member

any combination of neurology, psychology, and pharmacology is awesome.

9. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

^agreed.

in college, i was a psyc major with particular emphasis on neuroscience and psychopharmacology.

let me warn you, however, that a lot of people who go into psychopharmacology get involved in the pharmaceutical industry, which, in my opinion, is not the most respectable field. but, that's where the money is, obviously.

otherwise you can be like many others who study psilocybin and LSD mechanisms and get paid nothing for it ;)