Psychological Damage

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms' started by wutthe4k, Jan 21, 2009.

1. wutthe4k

wutthe4k Mr. Mojo Risin'

I am fairly sure that use of psychedelics cannot cause permanent psychological damage such as this, but I figured I would post this question anyway. Last week I did an eighth of mushrooms with some friends and the trip went well. However, for awhile after the trip wore off I was not able to sleep, despite how very tired I was. Every time I began to drift into sleep, I started envisioning something which was repeating over and over again. In this case, It was some entity shaking his head around psychotically. When it first started happening my mind thought it was some type of dream, but after it kept repeating over and over I became aware that something wasn't right and it was very annoying. I shrugged it off and tried to sleep again.

The next few times the same thing happened. After awhile my mind became under the impression that I could possibly be dead and what I was seeing was a glimpse of Hell. I was transporting back and forth from hell to the "waking life" which was actually an elaborate dream rather than reality. This thought haunted me. I continued to try to sleep for about 2 hours with the same thing happening. As soon as the visions started, I automatically awoke in fear. After those 2 hours were over, I fell asleep.

This brought back a memory of when it had happened once before, which I believe was after an acid trip. I had forgot about that until now.

Also, let me add that I do not have any type of mental illness, nor do I have any family history of it. The only thing that comes to mind is that my mother could possibly have bipolar disorder but she has never been tested or diagnosed.

This leads me to two questions:

1) Has anyone ever experienced anything like what I've described?

and 2) Is it possible that after continued use of psychedelics, this could happen and not go away? Resulting in either me never being able to fall asleep, or getting slightly used to it but never getting a good night's sleep again?

I'm sure this was probably just an after-effect of the mushrooms not entirely wearing off...but I just wanted to hear some of your opinions.

Discuss.

2. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

Nah brah I couldn't sleep either all night after my trip. LSD neither, but that's a given lol. It's perfectly normal to have very, very strange thoughts like that after a strong trip.

I can't even sleep after a good ketamine dose, there's just too much interesting activity in my thoughts and I can't relax enough to fade away into zzz's.

It won't last forever, just until you kinda "click" with whatever it is is keeping you awake, and that usually just takes a few hours or a few days.

3. CherokeeMist

CherokeeMist Senior Member

yeah, i'd try to keep some benzo's or something on hand for after you're done tripping but can't fall asleep.

anyone i know who has ever tripped, including myself, has had the same problem with being kept awake. i haven't heard anyone say they've seen a demon or anything specifically like that, but you'd just taken a psychedelic drug- your mind is going to be doing some strange things. sometimes even when i'm sober and trying to fall asleep, my mind starts getting VERY strange.

i wouldn't worry about it unless it starts to become a constant thing, or happens when you don't trip.

4. Feelings Of U4ia

Feelings Of U4ia Senior Member

I had something similar after taking LSD (I've only taken LSD around 6 times...this was the 5th time)

For some reason when the trip was ending, when I closed my eyes, I had an image of a guy with a mullet and 1 earring with half of his ear chopped off (it looked like someone bit his ear off) and he was screaming in agonizing pain begging me to help him. It was extremely discomforting. It lasted for around an hour and a half, every single time I closed my eyes. It got to the point where I was scared to close my eyes.

After the hour and a half mark, my gf came over and we layed down together, and the vision went away, and never came back.

I only tripped one more time off of LSD after that, which was around 2 years ago. I didn't have anything like that happen again, thank god, but the last trip fucked with me so much that I haven't tripped since.

I got drunk with a couple friends, and we ended up at some kids house that I didn't know. I knew my two friends, and the one girl that had some acid, but that was it. The other kids were absolute d-bags...popped pink collar t-shirts and so forth, and just overall stuck up dickheads. So I got extremely drunk, and at some point in the night (I blacked out, I don't remember it) I took a hit of LSD from the girl. Around 2 hours later (which I do remember a little of) I remember saying that whatever she gave me (I didn't remember what I actually took) wasn't working, and that I needed more. I took another hit of acid.

I ended up passing out...at around 5am. I awoke at about 7am, in a full blown trip...the most intense trip I have ever had in my life. I was in a house I was unfamiliar with, around kids that I would never hang out with, and tripping balls and had NO idea why.

I ended up finally making it back to my house, where my mom fed me Valium to calm me down as I cried in her lap for about 15 hours. Worst experience of my life.

Sorry, I guess that had nothing to do with what you were asking, but the first part did at least? Haha. Maybe I was so messed up from that last image I got from the trip before that, that I freaked out on this trip...but I am sure it had something to do with waking up in a full trip not remembering taking anything.

I would just lay off psychedelics for a couple months, and have a small trip after that and see how everything works out. Good luck.

5. stonerman420

stonerman420 Member

usually ill just bug out on mushrooms, but when that happens i just remember i took mushrooms and keep chill, but i think over time ive just become a burnout after all the mushrooms and pot and other crap ive injested. but i wouldnt say im psychologically damaged, i just have a different take on life now. it has different meaning than it used to. thats about it tho. after afew months of being clean from mushrooms you should be fine nothing cataclysmic. (probably spelled wrong, if so my bad)

oh yeah completely forgot about the point i was trying to make...

i have bi polar disorder and im generally ok. i know peple with the disorder that have done acid multiple times (ive never taken lsd) and theyre ok, i mean granted theyre alittle different. but its a package deal, ya know? you learn new things about yourself, life, and others. so either take it as a gift or a curse. its all in how you look at it.

6. strat

strat Member

The only thing I've ever experienced like this so far was an overly cool "dream" where Jimi Hendrix was playing in my head; I could see and feel the music, and I almost left my body; the songs were Bold as Love and And the Gods Made Love. It was amazing, every detail... It was surreal. Listening to the music on hash after a tolerance break couldn't come close to describing it. And I had smoked some ganj two days before, no trip or anything for about a month beforehand. All I can think is that a spirit was channeling energy through a dream. That was amazing, but I can see how something on the other end could be horrible.

Also, this happened in the morning after a good night's sleep, which could be relevant in some way.

7. eskimoblueday

eskimoblueday Member

This. It's difficult to emerge from a psychedelic experience without being changed in some way. If this thing is bothering you, see how you can work it to make it something more constructive for you. Find the source of it, learn and grow from it.

8. 311x

311x Member

When i did shrooms for the first time i felt like i was a burnout and i should be like disowned by my parents... it was really depressing and it hurt me in a way mentally ... it made me not care about anything now because i feel tht i am ruined..

9. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

It's only your ego that's ruined, not you