Psychics: Telling The Truth Or Just Really Good Liars?

Discussion in 'Psychic' started by TheGratefulPhish, Jan 1, 2015.

1. TheGratefulPhish

TheGratefulPhish Member

I went to see one not long after my ex boyfriend died, I suppose I just wanted to get some answers. She gave me the rate per twenty minutes or so, blah blah blah. She opened a bag and emptied a bunch of stones and crystals on her table and asked for a name, and I just gave her his first. She then asked me if he liked to skateboard, which wasn't brought up. She told me I couldn't have done anything to save him, etc. and that he was still there and hadn't crossed over yet. After about forty five minutes, I left. She was a very kind woman and didn't charge me over twenty minutes, and she was quite convincing. I've always been a skeptic but I want to believe, if that makes any sense. So, ever since my visit with her, it's made me think: was it a bunch of crap or did something really happen? What do you all think? :)

2. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What do I think?

I think they believe they are telling the truth. In which case it doesn't really make them liars.

I couldn't see myself visiting one.

1 person likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Didn't charge you for more than twenty minutes, this is where I'm skeptical. Surely if you had the gift of psychic abilities, you would understand their power etc. and then you wouldn't be charging people money for readings. It should be done out of sheer passion and positive reasonings, not to make a quick few dollars.

I have zero doubt that there are people who have psychic abilities, but I also think that these people aren't in travelling circus tents taking money off people etc.

5 people like this.
  4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Their actual psychic abilities are phony, however it could still be a meaningful experience.

From my understanding, what they do is asks generalized questions and make generalized statements to take advantage of your personal confirmation bias.

We all have confirmation bias, that is we basically hear what we want to hear and coming from others, it likely gives a sense of comfort, closure, validation, etc. particularly with issues which are emotionally charged.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What about the ones that can "see" without being given any information whatsoever? Not card readers.

2 people like this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I knew you were going to ask this...

7. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Psychic!

8. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Harrison Greenbaum on NatGeo's 'Brain Games': http://youtu.be/P0wj8N21gTY

2 people like this.
  9. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

That was painful to watch. The narrator kept saying "Wow, so accurate! so psychic!" and i just thought "that was the most bland and general statement that applies to at least 50% of people"

excellent video. i always feel sorry for people who get baboozled by 'psychics' and wish everyone could watch this

10. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I think everyone has the ability or maybe the potential but for some reason a few people can access it better than most. I also think that young children have a stronger ability and it decreases as they age. But as far as the people charging money....I think most of them are full of shit.

I do have one friend who seems to have a gift. She has a store that sells books and gifts, offers massages and reiki and a number of other services. She also reads tarot cards and is into other things like that. I once had her do a reading (for free) with her knowing I had a certain topic in mind but I didn't tell her what it was. I was certain that there is no way she could have known but she was spot-on. I have to give her credit. And somehow I was there for over 2 hours with her. I was late for dinner and slightly confused because it only felt like I was there for maybe 20 minutes. I told a mutual friend about it and she laughed and said they call that being on "Gina time" (her name, obviously). I guess that happens a lot at her readings. But there is something about her...something special that I can't put my finger on. It's like she has a glow or a vibe that people love being around. She isn't wealthy but she is so generous to people.

6 people like this.
  11. chellycellhot97NYCMiaCA

chellycellhot97NYCMiaCA Members

I worry, just a little more than I'm supposed to, but when your track record speaks for itself than going against the odds, proves most of my delimas right. I feel sometimes as if only I could. Optimism would call for a psychic, but hoping for the best signs should point in my personal direction of how I believe things should be.

12. JimInPhila

JimInPhila Member

I'd go to her. People reject what they don't understand or are fearful of, or have been told "You're not allowed to believe that.".

As Shakespeare said, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

13. IMjustfishin

IMjustfishin Member

as an experiment, ive given a few people here on this forum psychic readings, and they said it helped them. i made everything up.

so i think it has alot to do with hearing what you want to hear. all i had to do was make my statements as general as possible and i was surprised at how much other people enjoyed it.

1 person likes this.
  14. ElEyeJaw

ElEyeJaw Banned

15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Intuition is likely mostly a result of accrued experience and recognizing particular patterns and subsequent outcomes. The most obvious example of this would be in sports, where often people who never have even played the sport but understand it, can recognize certain situations where a play call may or may not work so well. I think there are biological 'intrinsic' intuitions as well such as abstaining from certain "foods" which may be poisonous or recognizing if you can make a jump across a river bed, etc. We are quick to celebrate intuitions which may be really adept at a particular activity but often overlook the failures of intuition in other activities.

Anomalous phenomenona is a vague description. There is subjectivity in that description, what one person may find anomalous another may not. Humans function within certain spectrums (enviornment, behaviors, appetites , etc.) and the spectrum is often even more limited when we're talking about societal norms, so there are bound to be some outliers in phenomena.

1 person likes this.
  16. ElEyeJaw

ElEyeJaw Banned

How about intuiting things which you've never experienced before? If you care to watch the video I posted, you'll see a real scientist named Rupert Sheldrake elaborating on things science has no current means of providing an explanation for. Not quite everything can be so easily dismissed or attributed to mundanities.

17. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Someone has posted that video before and I've commented on it. I find his ideas on morphic resonance really interesting.

However I find his description of the being stared at phenomena very limited as he describes it in the video, as he only mentions sight and does not account for other sensory perception such as olfactory and auditory sensations (smelling and hearing).

18. SuperTowel

SuperTowel Members

LOVE this. Thank you!

19. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I know someone who is Psychic
    When she was a child at her grandma's funeral she told her mother that Gran is not dead she is standing here with us , But her mother smacked her and told her never to talk like that again
    She kept it to herself until she was in her thirties and her husband had a stroke and became an invalid .
    She never tries to convince anyone of what she does ! She just does it
    Her name is Debbie and to be honest she freaks me out a bit

2 people like this.
  20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I like her already. :)