Psychiatric hospitals/community/treatment in the United States

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by CherokeeMist, Jun 5, 2013.

1. CherokeeMist

CherokeeMist Senior Member

Are they different from other countries? Please, share your experiences.

I can't find the article online, but a friend told me about a newspaper article which stated that the head psychologist that lead the team to create the diagnostic and statistical manual (DSM) is the most outspoken advocate against the newest DSM. 20% of Americans are on a psychiatric medication, and 25% meet the criteria for a psychiatric disorder, according to the article.

I myself have been a member of the psychiatric community, both inpatient at hospitals and outpatient with therapists and psychiatrists.

I want to escape. At one time I was scripted Zyprexa, Haldol, Klonopin at 6mg a day, Trileptal, and Celexa on top of that. Other times I was given Seroquel, Risperdal, Lithium, and more at once. I've sleplt 16 hours a day in institutions. Thorazine, Depakote and pthers.

Doctors met with me for less than 5 minutes, gave me powerful drugs, didn't request more information. Let me sleep, had me in a daze, that's what I wanted but not what I needed. I was able to dictate my own treatment, ask for anything, get anything. Easy as pie to be a drooling zombie, I hate my life but this shit didn't help.

I'd like to hear opinions on the psychiatric community of the U.S., as me any questions you'd like, an AMA of sorts haha. Please share experiences, thoughts, anything

2. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

Ive been to mental hospital where all they do is put you on drugs

3. CherokeeMist

CherokeeMist Senior Member

Yeah, they do. Heavy drugs.

Talk more about it! This needs to be publicized.

4. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

This drug obsessed psychiatry, that is nowadays the accepted doctrine all around the world, is the medicine's biggest embarrassment, in my opinion.

There's no denying that for some conditions drugs work. They work, when the condition is actually physiological and not psychological in it's essence.

For others, though, the meds are just a quick fix and don't address the original problems at all.

5. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

Can you describe more of how did it all look in there? Were you in a full lockdown?

There sure are some higher class wards, but I guess majority sucks.