Psychedelic rock

Discussion in 'Music' started by John221, Oct 3, 2004.

1. John221

John221 Senior Member

Who can define it? There are a few rock bands I can think of that are refered to as "psychedelic" but who all have very different sounds, e.g. Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, early Pink Floyd, 13th Floor Elevators.

So what makes it psychedelic? Is it simply the fact that it's inspired by psychedelic drug experiences, or is it something else?

What does everyone think?

2. KaleidoscopeEyes

KaleidoscopeEyes Member

What makes it psychedelic? The type of drugs the listener has taken. I'm kidding. Just don't try "defining" music. It's not a science.

3. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

4. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

I don't think psychadelic music can be defined to an era or genre. I think metal is psychadelic, anything that takes you to a tantric state can be psychadelic.
    The 60's had an explosion due to LSD being so popular. Commericalization of the music industry has stolen the purity of that music but keep your ears open. True musicians try to create music that they would like to hear. They transform the sounds of the past and give them their twist. THat is how music evolves. Today we have electronic music that is psychadelic. Franz Ferdinand is britpop and damn if that album isnt psychadelic. The times and experiences of a generation dictate what form it comes in when you are talking about large scale impact. Art will reflect reality. Nirvana is a great example of this. So is tool. Don't like music as it is? Then make it, let others hear the sounds inside your head.

5. Hazy

Hazy Member

If you have to ask, you'll never understand. :)

Seriously, I think it's a pretty personal thing. Somehow I know when music is psychedelic and when it isn't. Something in the music tells me. Or maybe it's something in my brain...

6. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

yeah it's true, it's more to do with what effect the music has on you than what genre it is i think...

7. Skelter

Skelter Helter

i can't define it

Dude111 likes this.
  8. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I cant either but its very good!!!

I didnt ever hear of it until I started collecting records and I got some 60s stuff that is VERY GOOD!!!

I fell in love with PSYCHEDELIC ROCK!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  9. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

As one who grew up in the early days of the 1960's, my experience was that it was Music that had five different elements:-
    • Artistic creativity - in both sleeve, film and sound
    • Colours - Bright + Deep = Spectrum and Myriad
    • New / Experimental / Innovative recordings (e.g. backward tapes)
    • The blending of existing, with that of traditional instruments (i.e. electric guitar and sitar, with drum and pipe)
    • Ambience of serenic feeling, often associated with drug taking for the expansion of creativite and ideas

10. WOLF ANGEL

(Pink Floyd) example

(Brain Damage)

11. WOLF ANGEL

(Moody Blues)

(Visions of Paradise)

12. WOLF ANGEL

And just over 12 minutes of the style of rock inspired by psychedelic culture.

13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Gracious Wolfee for your entries :)