pSycHadELiC bAnd

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by TheSkaEffect, Jan 12, 2005.

1. TheSkaEffect

TheSkaEffect Member

ya, Im gonna start a psychadelic band.
    I plan on having....
    1 keyboarder
    2 bassists
    1 guitarist
    1 drummer
    1 steel drum
    maybe some didge players...
    I dont know if ill go through with my plan, but hell... if i do its gonna kick ass.
    I wanna make it sound like nothing ever heard before... something so original people will shit their pants, but be so into the music they wont even realise it.

2. ahh...tea

ahh...tea Member

good luck....2 basses?

3. TheSkaEffect

TheSkaEffect Member

Ya, I want the 2 basses to sound like 2 fat politicians arguing with each other... lol its kind of hard to explain.

4. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Lotsa effects usually... phasers and delays.

5. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

sounds good

hope you go through with it

6. assfucksohard

assfucksohard Member

if you are gonna have 2 basses, you're gonna have to orchestrate the shit out of your songs, because 2 basses being played low sounds really muddy. good luck though sounds like an awesome idea. actually, i think that band Godspeed! You black emperor has 2 bassists.

7. Jack_Straw2208

Jack_Straw2208 Senior Member

good luck mang... if i figured it out, would you let me play accordion occasionally?

8. baboonus_galactus

baboonus_galactus Member

Two basses will never work, unless it's like one baritone guitar and one ordinary bass.
    Two guitars isn't a very good idea either since it kind of limits the rest of the band from playing whatever they'd like to play.

I'm talking out of experience.

9. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

The only one I'd say there wouldn't be a problem with is two guitars... that depends on the guitarists (their willingness to get along).

10. InFlames420

InFlames420 Member

sounds cool, you should post some mp3s or something. I know I'd be very interested to hear something like that. Good luck

11. NeoPascal

NeoPascal Member

i like the idea. do you have bass players yet? cuz i do play bass.....

12. hippin life

hippin life Member

on the 2 guitarist thing that seems to be comeing up it is insanely workable. im not exactly sure how much you guys know about guitar but generally it can and does work. you have a rythmn guitar and a lead guitar. the rythmn one creates the base for the guitar sounds and the lead plays over it with complex stuff. the bass guitar creates the deeper sounds and further rythmn. but anyway i believe he just wanted one guitarist

now on the 2 basses i can totally see it workin almost like a dualing banjos kinda thing but not nearly so fast or high pitched

13. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

you've not had enough experience then - if the low end is turned down and the treble quite high, as long as they're not playing very low, it sounds quite pure

i say go for it, though the didge players wouldn't quite work - a singer who every now and then uses it could work, but there's not a whole lot of different ways it can be used, so the player would get bored and not have the passion there...

and don't focus on being different, unless you have extreme musical talent, you're not likely to pull that off

14. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

naw, psychedelic bands can't cope with two guitars - when everyone is doing there own thing, jamming live and whatever, two guitars is too much. one of every instrument is the only way it really works

15. gnombient

gnombient Member

So you're saying that the Dead and the Allman Brothers don't/didn't work? Could have fooled me... Instrumentation isn't the issue, communication between musicians is the issue. You could have 5 drummers and a sax player and be absolutely ripping; if everyone is on the same creative page and is meshing well, it doesn't matter what instruments you've got in the mix...

Good point about not focusing on being different though; don't play to "be different", just play to have fun, fulfill your creative instincts and amuse your muse...

16. UnspokenThings

UnspokenThings Member

thats crap about the two guitars thing. if you have skill and know how to listen you can have as many as you like

17. adrianhales86

adrianhales86 Member

hey im also looking to put together some psycadellic band but trouble is can't seem to think of an interesting name for the band, any idears anyone??

18. hippin life

hippin life Member

"simply gone"

19. TheSkaEffect

TheSkaEffect Member

Thanks for all the help guys, so far I havent really accomplished much. Its been hard to find people that are into psychadelic music and also posses some musical talent. I'm considering maybe just getting together a ska band (I think it would be easier to recruit people) and then just throwing in some psychadelic influence.

20. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

No electric clarinet? Are you crazy?!