Prove to me the bible is real...

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Amanda N, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

...then you can quote scriptures at me.

That's all I ask... give me some solid proof that the bible is the direct word of god, unedited and/or untranslated, in it's purest form, and maybe I might start listening to the bable you guys like to quote from the bible.

Until then, I choose to ignore you.

(Oh, and while you're doing that, why not start thinking about this - what if the bible isn't the word of god? what does that mean for you and your life?)

2. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

quote =untill then i choose to ignore you . so you ignore by starting a new thread in the christian section hmmmmmm (some ignorance dat is init). i suggest you go and give yer head a shake.....................peace

3. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

This is a christian forum, yes... but one for discussion ABOUT christanity... not just for christians (specificly)...

I wanted to give christians a message, as well as ask them a question... where better to do that than here?

4. atropine

atropine Member

his point was, you say youre going to ignore christians, but then go to the christian forum and start a thread, quite pointless.

prove than any author is the original writer or a book. prove to me completely that elizabeth ruled england in the mid-late 1500s, prove to me that einstein was smart. many things are what they are, some harder to prove than others. some are false, some are true. im not christian and i dont believe the bible is the word of god, as i dont believe in god.. but many things in this word are unproveable. my little examples are childsplay compared to the bible though..

5. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

But these people are quoteing the bible at people claiming it to be the direct word of god.. which you and I both know can't be true.

Now if they wanted to hold up the bible and say "this is what we think is a good way to live your life, and it has these benefits...", then that's great... who cares who wrote it.. it's just good advice (or at least the people that follow it think so)..

But to hold it up as the direct word of god... that needs some proof don't you think?

6. atropine

atropine Member

pretty much..

many people do the "this is what we think..." approach, but many others do take the alternative path, true. to hold something as the word of god is their opinion and right, and if they cant understand why we dont find constant bible quotes to be proof on a subject then they need to look at the discussion from a different POV.

i dont know that it cant be true. i believe it isnt true, but stating that its false without proof is just as ignorant as stating it is.

7. headymoechick

headymoechick I have no idea

no one needs to prove anything to you. If you don't beleive fine. Your soul- not mine. But don't come in here starting a thread that just stirs up conflict. No one can prove that it is real just like you can't prove that it isn't.

From your other threads you don't want to listen to what Christians say anyway, you just want to debate and argue.

Start ignoring us please.

8. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

.the only message your giving me is ignorance (not debate). wtf/ lets wind some christians up day is it . my beliefs are my beliefs / yours are yours / joe bloggs also has his beliefs . why dont yer find something constructive to do instead of tryin to persecute christians ./ .may i suggest knitting:rolleyes: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,peace

9. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

If a christian has something good to say, then i'll listen... But the fact remains that most of you all are spewing out bullshit from a book that's several thousand years old, and is not applicable to living in modern times... I'm the sort of person that needs proof... it comes from having a scientific mind... i'm not going to listen to what someone says just because they say it.

So I ask, prove to me that it's real... it's a simple request. Surely this is the first thing you should have done yourself before you started to listen to what it had to say, otherwise you're just following everyone else, without knowing why.

PS, I never argue or insult people, I debate.. and what's wrong with a little debating from time to time, it keeps you fresh, and makes you realise that your opinion (or anyone's opinion) is not the only opinion.

10. headymoechick

I know it's not. Nor do I try and convice anyone to share my beliefs.

But who the hell do you think you are to ask a bunch of people to "prove" the bible is real. You haven't responded to anyone who said prove that it isn't.

you say you don't insult people but I take offense to the fact you said most of what we say is "bullshit" you can't think of another way to put it so it's not so aggressive?

I hardly read the bible anyway and I never go to chruch but I'm still a hardcore Christian. I don't push my beliefs on anyone. I don't like it when people stereotype Christians because I don't fit the mold and I'm sure God loves me all the same.

"I'm not going to listen to what someone says just because they say it"

it's not good to have such a closed mind if you're truely debating someone.

If you like to debate to show others that there are other opinions other than their own why don't you apply that statement to yourself? And why do we have to prove ourselves for you to listen? You can't take what someone says into account just because they are a thinking feeling person just like you?

I'm not trying to be a bitch but I think you contridict a lot of what you say.

11. arlia

arlia Members

when i became a christian it was nothing to do wit the bible,but i was lead by the holy spirit,god called me and i let him in!

12. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

In amanda's defense: first, you asking her to prove it ISN'T true is just dodging her question. Second, you can't prove something is false, or doesn't exist. You can say it's very unlikely, but never get that full fledged verdict of "not-true". The onus of proof lies upon you, with your positive assertion (the bible is true) and not on her and her negetive assertion (the bible is NOT true).

13. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

14. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

powerful myths are deeper than mere facts...

(see joseph campbell's writings to start with...
    then maybe eliade, furst, ott, smith, mckenna, watts, huxley, sabina... etc.)

15. headymoechick

my asking her to prove it isn't true is just as valid as her asking to prove that it is. But I don't need to because I don't feel that I should push my beleifs on anyone else. She doesn't want us to. yet she starts a thread challenging us to back up our beleifs to someone who won't listen and calls what we say bullshit.

I'm really confused on her motive here. It sounds like a good way to create drama.

16. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Pushing your belief onto someone is walking to their doorstep, unannounced, and preaching the word of the bible to total strangers... I'm not asking you to do that, I'm asking you to give me even a shred of evidence of evidence that the bible is the word of god (and in asking you to do this, I remove all my ability to claim that you're forcing your view onto me.. I want you to, I want to know how you think and act).. and so far, all you can do is moan about my request. I think that is enough for me to rest my case - because I know you're not going to come out with anything better.

Oh, and I don't need to proove that it's not real, because I'm not the person putting it forward as the way to salvation. I'm not the person making the claim that it will save my life, or better yet - save my soul.

If a random stranger off the street walked up to you with a glass of liquid and told you that drinking it will save your soul, would you drink it right away without question? No, of cource not, that would be silly... you would want to know what the liquid is, who made it, what it does, etc.. - and these are all questions you need to ask about the bible.

17. headymoechick

whatever if all you've got is insults and lame analogies than I have better things to do with my time.

you don't want to hear anyone prove the bible right. you're here to stir up shit and that's not cool. I talk with people who are truly interested or curious.

I already said I don't even read the bible and I could care less what it says. I just don't like you stereotyping Christians and saying most of what we say is bullshit.

18. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Amanda,

I think I've responded to your request. Now, do you seriously intend to engage the materials I've provided with an open mind?

19. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

First of all, where did I insult you? if I did, I appologise, after all, that's not my intention. I just want some answers, some justification for what a lot of the right wing christans are doing. If you're not one of these people, going around and forcing your views on others, why are you even here? I don't care what religion someone is, I believe in teligious tollerance - and yet you're treating this as if I'm insutling you.. I'm not, I'm asking a genuine question to the people who feel they need to go around preaching.

Second of all, if you don't know anything about the bible, again, why are you even here? I'm asking a simple and direct question about the bible, and all I get is petty arguments, and no real answers. You just want to stur up trouble for me because you think I'm attacking you and your way of life.. I'm not.. I just want some clear answers.

Again, if you think I've insulted you, then I'm sorry, but maybe you want to go back and read what I've put, rather than jumping to the conclusion that I'm out to attack you.

20. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Thing is that I've heard about you and what you do.. so I'm a bit cautious to respond to anything you say...

The fact is that I've not yet had a chance to look at the two links you've posted yet, I was just about to do that now... then we'll see if it's worth debating.