Protest The Outrageous Price of Gas!

Discussion in 'Protest' started by Spidey, May 10, 2004.

1. Spidey

Spidey Member

The price of gas is going disturbingly, ridiculously high!

2. ForestNymphe

ForestNymphe Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

*Protests whole heartedly*

Freaking outrageous in Cali.

3. bluegill

bluegill Member

hell yea, i paid $2.09 a gal yesterday, it was friggin ridiculous, and the sad thing is, america pays almost 2X what the rest of the world pays for a barrel of oil, whats up with that?

4. Changeyourlatitude

Changeyourlatitude Banned

The price of gas should double!

Then maybe someone would take a serious thought towards other ways to run an automobile.

By the way Bluegill we don’t pay double for a barrel of oil. I pay $0.42.9 per liter or $1.62 a gallon. In Northern Europe people are now paying over $6.00 a gallon for gas.

Don’t buy the brand names buy the cheap stuff! I live on an island and there is only one refinery and the price of regular ranges from $0.41.9L to $0.49.9L and it all comes from the same place! Kind of like buying a store brand of bread they don’t build a bread factory, Holsum makes it for them on an off shift.

Mountaineers are always free! Montani Semper Liberi! Dude ride a bike.

Changeyourlatitude

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

protest gasoline

go biodiesel!

6. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

I know! I couldn't believe my eyes today when I saw the prices for gas.

My husband and I discussed riding bicycles. We are not the type, but these prices really are ridiculous. It's so bad, my hubby was actually considering riding his bike to work, and normally it's a 20 - 25 minute DRIVE with NO traffic, on the highway! :eek: It'd take him forever to get to work on bike, but it's so bad he's considering it. That's saying something.

I think I am going to try to ride a bike as much as I can, but my health doesn't permit me to go very far.

7. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Oh you people have it easy! It's 80p a litre here! Over twice the ammount you pay! I think as far as taxing petrol goes, it hits the working class hardest. Income tax is a fairer way to redistribute wealth. Unfortunately we do have to consider that oil reserves are soon to run out, and petrol consumption is seriously harming the environment. I think that petrol prices should remain high, but only if there is a cheaper, greener alternative, such as hydrogen powered cars, available. That way people will be encouraged to take the more environmentally friendly option....

8. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

You know we have feet that depress the pedal right? I doubt protest will help... Its not like we could boicott either, because we'd have to rally over half the nation to not use gas and I doubt thats gonna happen. The problem is that we have really slow inflation so no one seems to care. I asked my economics teacher about it saying, "Ok, 10 years ago it took about 50 cents for a loaf of bread and now its almost 2 dollars. The same kind of inflation is going on everywhere. The value of the dollar is decreasing right? So like eventually wont the dollar lose value as much as say a peso has"
    "No those inflation rates are too high"
    But I still couldnt help wonder about it. I dont think gas prices are going down anytime soon so find solar ion drives... They have one in space right now. Really cool. Unfortuantlly I think to use Ion we'd have to have cars launch a stream of heat that'd kill on contact... also really hard to charge... where are all the R&D teams?

9. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

The price also, of course, has a lot to do with the recent increase in oil prices. The last time they were this high, I believe, is when OPEC launched a protest against American support for the illegal Israeli occupation of Lebanon and Palestinian lands by upping the prices of oil. The answer to lower oil prices here is obvious. George Bush, stop fucking around with the Middle East!

10. Changeyourlatitude

Changeyourlatitude Banned

You got it OPEC is voteing for Kerry and you are paying for it at the pumps!

Better ask yourself why?

Changeyourlatitude

11. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

If the full environmental cost was figured into the price of gas, it would be over $10 per gallon.

The people who are bitching about paying $2 need to suck it up, or better yet, learn to conserve. The USA has the cheapest gasoline outside of the middle east...

12. menlo1

menlo1 Member

Part of the higher cost is OPEC. Some of it is due to the U.S. refineries having trouble keeping up with the demand. Lots of people are driving large cars in the U.S., the largest and worst fuel economy since the 70s. The rest is due to speculation on the markets caused by the uncertainty created by the Iraq war.

Everyone who thought they were going to get $1 per gallon gas from the Iraqi pipe lines should forget about it. Militants are bombing the pipe lines multiple times every day in Iraq, but the U.S. news media is too ashamed to show it on the air.

13. riptiderevolucion

riptiderevolucion Member

I'm glad that gas prices are going up. Maybe it'll encourage more people to explore alternate forms of energy and transportation.

Unfortunately, as with all things relating to money, it affects the poor much more than the rich. That's why the powers-that-be don't really care. They can afford to pay as much as they want to fill up their Escalades and Navigators. Ta hell with everyone else.

It'll just deepen the divide between the haves and have-nots. And maybe that'll piss off more people so that real change will begin.

Then again, knowing the people of this country, instead of charging towards new technologies and methods, they'll get behind more imperialist actions in an attempt to acquire cheaper raw materials for our ravenous appetites. It reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once, "How'd our oil get under their sand?"

I wonder if the rise in gas prices has anything to do with our military's (the biggest consumer of oil in the known universe) rapidly increasing consumption of oil. Invading for oil requires more oil and on and on and on.

14. bluegill

bluegill Member

yea, i seen it on a news program the other day, it was talking about oil by the barrel and how the US in general pays up to 2X what other nations pay for a barrel of crude oil, i cant recall what program it was....but it is funny that if we do pay 2x why do other nations pay more for a gal of gas...i think i may do a lil research.....and by the way, i do ride a bike

15. GentleHeartLamb

GentleHeartLamb Member

In the gta we had a day that people did no go to ther pumps at all it was a boycot or whater I heard about it on the raido maybe get one started in your area Ann

16. homebudz

homebudz Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Gas is $2.44 for regular here in bugtussle.That hurts since I live on a fixed income.Fortunately,I only have to fill up once a month.We don't drive much.

17. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

a takelma donkey has the bad gas , but , no never say but .

18. Maverick

Maverick Banned

almost two dollars here.

19. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

$2.13 for the cheap stuff here and isn't supposed to peak until in June sometime. ARGH.

20. superNova

superNova Member

while i do say that gas is much cheaper here than in europe, and that i don't really have a problem with the high price because of the environmental consequences of driving, i will say you can't really compare europe and the us for the reason that generally european countries have a much better system of public transportation than the united states. here in north carolina, there is no other option besides a weak bus system that doesn't really run on time and is extremely inefficient and doesn't go between every city. no subways or street cars or any other real, steady means of transport besides the car.

that's why your gas is more expensive over in europe, to encourage the use of public means of transportation. we however, don't have that option.