Protest Jobs

Discussion in 'Protest' started by walsh, Jun 8, 2010.

1. walsh

walsh Senior Member

If we all worked only 4 hours a day and produced half as much while consuming half as much we would have much more time to help the world and there would be overall increase in happiness. If we stopped working for polluting corporations they wouldn't exist in the first place.

2. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

What would you propose instead?

3. walsh

walsh Senior Member

Consume less
    Produce less
    Work less

4. greenryder

greenryder Member

I like how some towns in France operate. They pretty well shut down at noon for lunch. People mingle at bars & bistros.
    Not sure if their work days are shorter mind you.

Working 4 hours seems like a solution to laziness.
    I do disagree with people who think they have to work 24/7 and always have their Blackberries on. In the end they will just ruin their own health.

As for consuming less? This is a cultural issue. Many Western European countries do not consume unnecessarily like we in North America do.

5. walsh

walsh Senior Member

Are you saying anyone who works 4 hours a day is lazy? And what if he spends the rest of the day gardening, composing music or writing a novel?

6. LostOne

LostOne Member

Peter Gibbons: I uh, I don't like my job, and, uh, I don't think I'm gonna go anymore.
    Joanna: You're just not gonna go?
    Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
    Joanna: Won't you get fired?
    Peter Gibbons: I don't know, but I really don't like it, and, uh, I'm not gonna go.
    Joanna: So you're gonna quit?
    Peter Gibbons: Nuh-uh. Not really. Uh... I'm just gonna stop going.

-Office Space

7. greenryder

greenryder Member

Composing music or writing a novel can still be considered work. Are you simply going to give away your music for free? Will you publish your novel and hand it out to book stores to give away to people?

My only issue with the way the "work day" has become, is far too many people take work home with them and are at it 24/7.