Protein

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by matt, May 25, 2004.

1. matt

matt Member

Hey i'm new to the vegetable thing and i was wondering what to do about protein. Can you get all the protein you need from soy?

2. I drink soy protein every morning gives me more energy. it comes in this yummy powder it's like $15 last me 3 weeks or so

3. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

I don't get why everyone these days is so obsessed about protein deficiencies... :) I mean, it's kind of difficult to have a protein deficiency, unless you're living in an underdeveloped country and getting like 50g of food a day.

http://www.vegparadise.com/protein.html basically explains it all, but it's kind of long, be patient while reading it :).

I'm sure you can get all your protein from soy... but soy beans probably aren't the only vegetables you eat, are they? :D Good vegan sources of protein are also leguminous plants (beans, etc.) and grains (you probably eat bread, don't you? Quinoa is another great source :D)

If you're vegetarian, you'll probably be getting more than enough protein per day, just from dairy and egg products. 1 egg a day has all the protein you need :)

4. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Ditto Sonja. Took the words out of my mouth darling. :D

Protein defiency is yet another misguided omni theory. It really isn't an issue at all.
    You could make soya your main protein source, but it might get a bit boring after a while. There are plenty of other sources.

TTFN

Sage

5. Loki84

Loki84 Member

Protein isn't an issue. It's easy enough to get it, whether you eat meat or not. As long as you aren't eating exactly the same foods all day long, you'll be sorted.

But when dealing with omnis who whinge about protein, I find that mentioning soy seems to be an easy way of shutting them up.

6. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Some veggie foods actually have more protien than meat! Plus, it doesn't have artery-clogging fat or cancer-causing cells and crap like that:p

And yeah, like the person above posted, protein actually isn't a huge issue with vegheads:p I thought it was for a while, but this ear I learned about Vitamin B12 and Calcium..

7. great website! thanks

8. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

yep, actually i have
    she had a lot of weird stuff going on in her body. veg for years, blah blah blah. after having a baby and breastfeeding for a couple of years, she finally found a doc who tested her for amino acid deficiencies and she was lacking lots of them. i guess the lab tech said something like it's no wonder she was suffering from such horrible depression. now she's taking amino acid supplements and eating bone broths a la weston price and she's getting her life back

so no it's not a myth. it happens to real people.

carry on with your conversation. i'm finding it interesting. i personally feel like total shite unless i have lots of protein on board, but i'd like to find more veggie sources to draw on. diet for a new america scared the crap out of me...all of those poisons that are even in organic meat and all that.

9. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

nope, it was someone else. they run a blood test called an amino acid profile. i dont think that pcos and amino acid deficiencies are related.